Search results

1. B

Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q Tiny Gen2 35W AMD Ryzen 5000 Powerhouse

Ok so that's what I forgot to ask last time, is there a way to find out which AGESA FW is rolled into the BIOS? Also Whoah!!! @ReturnedSword thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even notice that in the pictures. Without a PCIe slot, the whole 10G/25G NIC and VFs discussion is pretty moot. So...
  2. B

Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q Tiny Gen2 35W AMD Ryzen 5000 Powerhouse

@WANg quick question since you knew about the BAR limitation in V1500 series: do you know if this R5000 supports reBAR, and hence VF NICs from the X710? (and probably also >7 VFs with the CX3/CX5) I did a quick scan of the tech sheet and product spect for the Ryzen Pro 5000 series and couldn't...
  3. B

HighPoint SSD7540 PCIe 4.0 x16 8-Port M.2 NVMe Card - Thoughts?

... also so has anyone tried this card? Debating on whether it's worth trying or if the HoneyBadger is still a better solution.
  4. B

LOL, I'm not sure if you remember the original design philosophy for ZFS which was to assume that hardware will always fail, most often permanently, regardless of whether or not they are cheap consumer devices or expensive enterprise equipment. OG Google had the same view point when they built...
  5. B

Didn't see the 80mm limitation, but good to know. Thankfully both the 980 and Rocket are both 80mm. As for the powerloss stuff, I'm more from the old school Google/ZFS approach and just assume hardware will fail and cover power loss scenarios through software, rather than throwing money at...
  6. B

Trying to purchase a single HoneyBadger from Liqid is like pulling teeth, and now Highpoint has released an 8-port PCIe4 M.2 Card through normal channels. Has anyone tried out this card, and/or compared it to the HoneyBadger LQD4500? The Liqid devs said they modified the Switch firmware code...
  7. B

HP T740 Thin Client Review TinyMiniMicro with PCIe Slot

@WANg yeup, I know you had a problem with VFs with the Twinville card (X520), which I also agree might have something to do with how the BIOS is playing with the OS. It is also the same problem I had with the M720q, albeit you got alot further that I did (CentOS just refused to allocate the VFs...
  8. B

HP T740 Thin Client Review TinyMiniMicro with PCIe Slot

@WANg or whoever, has anyone tried getting VFs to work with an Intel NIC like a X710 or E810? I tried to get VFs for an X710 to work in an M720q and kept on hitting a BIOS/BAR problem where Debian and CentOS refused to allocate the VFs.
  9. B

Addition of Layer 3 benchmarks to switch reviews

Hey @Patrick, Last time I checked, we had two configurations on each end (dual boot NVMe): Bare-metal Ubuntu and just iperf3 just the test the raw single client L3 performance. If there's no wireline L3 handling on the ASIC, this initial test will reveal it without trying anything more...
  10. B

No worries Patrick. I guessed it was something along those lines since those edge switches usually are in the 960Gbps territory for a 48 port. I just wanted to mentioned it in hardcopy, since it seems no one had ever asked for it before in the forums. If anything you can use this as a case to...
  11. B

How to change profile pic on forum

Well that explains it. I don't have that option:
  12. B

In shopping for switches for edge locations and I've notice that none of the vendors, except for Mikrotik publish L3 routing benchmarks, and almost all the review sites only test L2 switch performance. Especially for edge locations, Inter-VLAN routing and static routes are the most important...
  13. B

How to change profile pic on forum

Quick question, how do you add a profile picture on the STH forums. I seem to only be able to set the cover background. Cheers, Bryan
  14. B

768 Arm Cores in 2U @650W - XSLAB

I think they're trying to position it as an edge device from a power/cooling/cost perspective where there may not always be data to feed the system, so you would only have 1 of them in a edge location (they seem to also have an AI line targeting edge-AI video M.2/USB cards that can be attached...
  15. B

768 Arm Cores in 2U @650W - XSLAB

From a new Korean startup call XSLAB (I think). Product page: XSLAB (Initially loads in Korean, but you can change to English at the top) Their demo just popped up in my youtube feed, and I'm trying to get more info from the company, though my Korean is virtually non-existant (I can pretty much...
  16. B

Any 1U EDSFF 32x E1.S chassis on the horizon?

Has anyone heard rumblings of, or seen at a conference, a 1U EDSFF 32x E1.S chassis, or at least one as an AMD barebones? Both the Inspur and Supermicro systems are both Intel, and paying a dual-Xeon tax just for an EDSFF based system just seems silly when a single EPYC 7002/3 CPU can handle...
  17. B

Xeon D-1541 Quanta storage servers on ebay

Any luck in securing drive caddies?
  18. B

ICY DOCK MB872MP-B Review – 12 bay M.2 SATA

I think the other interesting thing is that the SATA version supports 12 M.2 drives while the NVMe version only supports 8 M.2 drives. Nevertheless, the ICYDock cages are closest thing you can get to EDSFF E.1S drives without actually paying a 4k premium for just for the privilege of using...
  19. B

ICY DOCK MB872MP-B Review – 12 bay M.2 SATA

Any chance you'll review the NVMe version (MB873MP-B)? The FAQ says it theoretically supports hot-swap but requires a the O/S to "refresh" all the ports to detect the new drive. Cheers, Bryan