Search results

1. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

You should be able to change the stacking configuration. This is how it looks on my 6450: On unit 2 I set the stack ports using SSH@ICX6450-24P Router switch-01(config)#stack unit 1 SSH@ICX6450-24P Router switch-01(config-unit-1)#stack-port 2/2/1 I would expect that something similar is...
  2. S

Do you need the management VLAN to be routed at all? If not you could just remove the ve and ip address from vlan 2 and the switch would not route anything to it. If you have only one physical link from your pfsense to the switch you could always define vlans on the pfsense box and use a...
  3. S

Which fiber should I install in a new building?

The copper runs are already done, all in conduit (mandatory for ethernet and coaxial cabling here), so I can rerun them if needed. I made the contractor use as few bends as possible and no sharp bends on the conduit so I actually have a chance of rerunning cables through the conduit. All rooms...
  4. S

How can this be incorrect? My contractor presented me a choice of cables, one was AWG 23 (labelled CAT.7) and one was AWG 22 (labelled CAT.7A). I chose the AWG 22 cable because larger diameter means less heat dissipation. I made this choice because I want to install PoE+ devices on some of the...
  5. S

I'm going with FS terminology, as this is what is readily available here. Most items I can get next day, shipping from China is also quite fast if they don't have to custom build something - like any MTP cable with a male end. Thanks for the link to the cassette datasheet, that's one I have...
  6. S

After waiting for another shipment from China to Europe I finally did some more tests. Testing was done using two of my ICX 6450 switches (thanks to the brocade megathread) in a stacking configuration using one SFP+ module per switch. The "testing" consisted of waiting for the stack to re-form...
  7. S

The ICX6450-C12PD is 1G only, with SFP slots instead of SFP+ on the larger ones (24 + 4 SFP+ / 48 + 4 SFP+). For reference, check the datasheet linked in Post #1 of this thread. That's probably why the 10G license is invalid, it does not need it having not 10G ports.
  8. S

My goal is to keep it as simple as possible, e.g. only one type of LC-LC Patch cable between the Kassettes and the optics. I currently only have LC-LC UPC A-to-B singlemode patch cables and I prefer to keep it that way. The trunk cable in the wall can be Type A or Type B, as long as it is well...
  9. S

Thanks for the link to this guide, it probably kept me from making a mistake that could damage my cables. I just had another good look at my singlemode trunk cables (male and female ends) and it seems that it is not possible to mate the cables as planned: Using a Type B Adapter (Key UP / Key...
  10. S

Patrick's 2021 Fiber Build-out

Sorry for hijacking this. Patrick mentioned that there are cheaper options than FS for specific fiber spools. I'm in need of an at least 25m 12-Fiber OS2 9/125 MTP Trunk Cable, OFNP (Female - Female). Polarity could be A or B, I can handle both. Any suggestions what I could search for on *Bay...
  11. S

Bad news, the contractor managed to destroy the fiber while pulling it through conduit :( Now I need a replacement for a 25m 12-Fiber OS2 9/125 MTP® Trunk Cable, OFNP (Female - Female). Polarity can be A or B, I can just switch the cassette on one end if needed. Can anyone recommend a product...
  12. S

Brocade ICX 6450-24 vs Cisco Catalyst 2960G-24TC-L

The Cisco 2960G seems to have only 24 ports and is limited to 1GBit only - maybe most ports are even 10/100 MBits only - I could not get that straight from the documentation at a glance. 4 Ports are SFP Combo Ports. The ICX 6450 has 24 1GBit Ports plus 4 10 GBits (SFP+) Ports. I would strongly...
  13. S

Patrick's 2021 Fiber Build-out

I built some Keystones myself using LogiLink SC Keystones, removing the SC-Insert and replacing it with an MTP®/MPO Key-Up to Key-Up Fiber Optic Adapter from FS. The 3rd image in this post shows how this looks like...
  14. S

I am using this Hat to power two PI4: Buy a PoE HAT – Raspberry Pi So far this works flawlessly on an ICX6450-24p. I can enable / disable inline power to power cycle the individual PI4s.
  15. S

Hardware to run pfsense ?

And ESXi is so widely used that it is virtually guaranteed to have a backdoor for some agencies. Using a switch to terminate the internet connection is a viable solution, a L2 switch with VLANs is sufficient, does not have to be L3. I strongly disagree with a virtualized firewall. First I...
  16. S

EU Some Brocade switches (ICX 6610 etc)

I received my ICX6450-48P in perfect condition, very well packed and 100% working. The three fans are turbines on startup but bearable once the switch is up and running :)
  17. S

Looking for a small/compact/home 10GbE L3 switch

Maybe think about on or more CRS305, one of the very few editors choice devices at STH: https://www.servethehome.com/mikrotik-crs305-1g-4sin-review-4-port-must-have-10gbe-switch/ - this switch always floats at the back of my mind in case I need more L2 10g ports. You can use RJ45 10G SFP+...
  18. S

CTS media converter Fiber to Ethernet vs FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 5490 Fiber

Whatever you do, don't use the Fritz!box, not even as an access point. Check out the Ruckus thread in this forum :)
  19. S

CTS media converter Fiber to Ethernet vs FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 5490 Fiber

I also opt out of Fritz!box whenever i can. I'm currently on a vodafone docsis network and prefer their cheap default box in bridge-mode over the Fritz!box. Are you required to use CTS media converter or can you just plugin a module (that would sit in the media converter) directly to your...
  20. S

The link requires a google login, is that intended?