Search results

1. B

lga3647 esxi build to host my Oracle Apps/Databases

I believe the problem of slow write speeds to the SSD was from "Thick Lazy Zeroing" and also "Thin" provisioning disk. ESXi was trying to grow/expand the virtual disk which basically kills the SSD write performance. And once that growing/expansion begins, even after the expansion completes...
  2. B

TRIM? I don't think it's absence is causing my problems currently, but it might be. I don't think I've collected garbage on the SSD to affect performance like this and SSD does perform well at above 300-400MBps writes sometimes. Reads are even faster at above 500MBps and never a problem. Seems...
  3. B

Crucial mx500 sata 4TB . Product#is in that last lsi bios screenshot. Crucial ssd firmware is M3CR044 (latest version i believe), seen as 044 in that screenshot I'm going to try some tests from esxcli (ssh into esxi Linux shell) command line and try similar dd test to see if i get better...
  4. B

Hello, I'm back with finding weird problems in my ESXi system Sometimes I have good performance from the SATA SSDs in ESXi VM guests: and sometimes it's not good. I wonder if writing high volumes (4GB write test in above screenshot) caused this to bog on subsequent tests: I'm not doing...
  5. B

Supermicro X11(S|D)Px bifurcation

Successfully installed and configured our PCIE M.2 card into Slot#6 using CPU2 IOU1 set to bifurcation x4x4x4x4. See my attached diagram. *edit: I set slot#6 to UEFI mode instead of the default setting LEGACY. I think that only is necessary if wanting to passthrough the PCIE card to a guest...
  6. B

Successfully installed and configured our PCIE M.2 card into Slot#6 using CPU2 IOU1 set to bifurcation x4x4x4x4. See my attached diagram. I may try experiment to move it to slot#2 (IOU1) for CPU1, but since I've already allocated the two m.2 drives to Datastores, I'm unsure if moving the card...
  7. B

successfully installed the four 4TB sata SSDs (crucial mx500) and sas9300-8i today. It was simple plug n play. The X11DPI-NT motherboard bios has settings for each PCIe slot to be either "LEGACY" or "UEFI". I used default of LEGACY for the slot i put the HBA into. I'm unsure but i think...
  8. B

Thanks Rand. The asus hyper card hasnt arrived yet. Some of these products say won't arrive until Dec 1st
  9. B

2nd cpu installed successfully. My original CPU has noctua heatsink with two 92mm fans. The new CPU will be using supermicro's standard lga3647 cooler with one 80mm fan which was left over and unused from earlier experiment three years ago. Initially i installed the new CPU with the...
  10. B

New parts should begin arriving today in mail: -2nd XEON 6130 SRB39 (not an ES) - LSI9300-8i card - SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 cables - Four 4TB SATA SSDs -ASUS Hyper x16 M.2 card (PCIe gen4 version because the gen3 version i couldn't find in stock ) -Two 2TB NVMe M.2 SSDs Explanation of my purchase...
  11. B

I agree, I think it will be IOU1 for slot#2. Once my card arrives I'll test it. I don't have my PCIe NVMe M.2 expansion card yet but I was trying to plan ahead for when it arrives in mail In BIOS, for CPU1 bifurcation options: each IOU# (IOU0, IOU1, IOU2) displays these bifurcation options...
  12. B

Hi @Rand__ , I also have the x11-DPI. My question for you: Do you know which IOU# for the 1st CPU corresponds with which physical slots: X11-DPI-N 1st CPU--> slot1:x8 slot2:x16 slot3:x8 2nd CPU--> slot4:x16 slot5:x16 slot6:x16 The X11DPI has a confusing PCIe arrangement...
  13. B

had a power outage at home and the vCenter Server Appliance v6.7 (vcsa) postgres DB was corrupted. Being a small vCenter Server and not having backed it up, I simply am re-installing from scratch the VCSA, but this time I'm installing v7u2. *edit: the vcsa v7u2 install went super smooth and...
  14. B

Has anyone tried using JNVME1 (Oculink connectors) on the Supermicro boards to connect SATA drives? I have two oculink connections each with PCIeX4 gen3. And supermicro sells this breakout cable... CBL-SAST-0933...
  15. B

@Rand__ * received this email from VMUG today regarding Horizon v7 and how long it will remain in the Advantage Store: Hi Benny, Thank you for contacting VMUG. Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on how long products will be available but they are active on the storefront for the time...
  16. B

the VMUG store has v8 and v7 of Horizon. There was a strange note on v7 that didn't make sense, like they accidentally have notes pertaining to vSan instead of Horizon (they have the same note under the vSan 6.x product). I've emailed advantage@vmug.ccom to ask them if Horizon v7 will be...
  17. B

One thing I just realized, it looks like vSphere 6.x (including 6.7?) will be retired from VMUG Advantage store soon. That may force me to upgrade to vCenter Server and vSphere (ESXi) to v7+ this year. Even though I was happy on vSphere 6.7 I may have to upgrade to v7 because v6.x license keys...
  18. B

wooo-eeee they are fast. They replied back to my email within 5 minutes and re-activated advantage for another year. Time to download my license keys and see if I want to try any other products or upgrade. I think I'll stick at vSphere 6.7. But I'll upgrade my workstation Pro from 15.5 to...
  19. B

It is that time of year again for me when I need to download the license keys again from VMUG store. I tried to re-order the products to get the updated yearly keys from VMUG Advantage. I still have my 3 yr VMUG with 1 yr remaining on it. But each year I login to the store and it thinks my...
  20. B

EU WTS 64 & 128G 2666V RDimm Memory Modules (SK Hynix HMABAGR7AR4N-VN)

whew! 128GB sticks, nice. About the Scalable CPUs though, do you have any 1st gen Skylake 6130? I need a match for my dual socket system that currently has one 6130. Else, what other scalable CPUs might you have? Thanks! -Benny