Search results

1. U

18TB HGST Ultrastar 550 $328

No. (btw @73DodgeCharger ... aka AlmostKowalski? :)) I suspect that the spec sheet is in error (or ???). From the DC HC550 data sheet : we DO see that (in Configuration>Format:) both 4Kn & 512e ARE listed. But note that NONE of the Model Numbers (SATA OR SAS)specify a 4Kn format. On page 2 of...
  2. U

Pin config issues on U.2 ports to NVMe M.2 IcyDock cage

Sounds like a good plan! {Pls follow-up with hot-swap outcome.) Note that IcyDock also has a V2 of their U.2 cage, with the same changes (noted above): connector:sff-8643==>sff-8612 && pinout:??==>sff-9402 Enjoy your new system! Really neat that such capable toys are so accessible/affordable...
  3. U

Update: SFF-9402 Q: When is a (citation of a) specification NOT a specification? A: When an oldtimer, who should know better, does not read it carefully. [Ref: SFF-9402 Specification] (in my above post) The wiring description (from pg. 25) was prefaced (on pg. 14) with: So, it looks like it's...
  4. U

I hope I'm wrong. (I want to be wrong!) Good for you. If you mean you are going to start by connecting your mobo U.2 port(s) #38 (& #39) to 1 (or 2) of the IcyDock cage's ports, you might try this cable. If Gigabyte and IcyDock adhered to the SFF-9402 spec, it should work. You could contact...
  5. U

Bravo! I had noticed that the sender got the details. For instance, Amazon's Track_Package/see_all_updates would give the itinerary. But UPS would not give it to me, even when I was logged in (UPS MyChoice; so they knew I was me, and it was my pkg) Looks like 17track.net knows the backdoor.
  6. U

[Hey, this stuff is new to me too; retired 25 yrs ago. Strictly a (retirement) hobby now; like, gardening for geeks. But, I'm trying to approach it as a (albeit, unpressured) professional.] I'm NOT certain of the non-hotswap of your mobo. But if they did have it, they'd "brag" about it...
  7. U

Since about 6 months ago, I've noticed that UPS tracking no longer includes intermediate points in the itinerary. After the origin point, you get nothing until the dispatch station at destination. Whagawan widdat?
  8. U

looking for free OS for my server

And, you can "digitize" your cheat sheet: How to use aliases in linux shell commands Even for advanced users, good for longer, hard-to-remember commands. E.g.: alias lobotomy='sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' alias fflobotomy='sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches' [The first one...
  9. U

Strange MDADM RAID 6 behaviour

I don't know; I am (since 1973) strictly command-line, on Unix. [Mea culpa ... "Do as I say, not as I do."] (...Googling...) ... maybe there is something to toggle/comment in a startup file (for Xfce?). Speaking of which, maybe there is an (easy?) way to suppress startup of Xfce (vs runlevels...
  10. U

After more pondering, my bet is that Thunar is the agent provocateur[**], so, rather than mucking with runlevels, etc., (please humor me) try booting with Thunar disabled/eliminated, and try that dd command. (If I'm wrong, we can resort to mucking ...) [**] This is/would-be not a fault of...
  11. U

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

Of course it's concurrent. The card is a HBA using a PEX8748, configured as 8* x4 NVMe/PCIe/SFF-8643. As stated/documented, full spec performance, the card will NOT be the bottleneck.
  12. U

THE solution to your problem, now, and far into the future, is the Broadcom P411W-32P [Product Brief] [User Guide] . (PCIe gen4 x16, 8*NVMe, SFF-9402 compliant, full+ Surprise/HotPlug/Swap support) Note that the mechanical/analog part of hot-swap is easy. It's the electrical/digital part that is...
  13. U

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

I thought I did ... "[full spec performance]" ... :) i.e., PCIe Gen3 x16 (14 GB/s) ... Read: ~/bin [ 1022 ] # nvmt -t 3 4 5 6 nvme3 = 3286.2 Md/sec nvme4 = 3275.6 Md/sec nvme5 = 3246.1 Md/sec nvme6 = 3292.6 Md/sec ================ Total = 13100.5 Md/sec ~/bin [ 1023 ] # nvmt -t 3 4 5 6 7...
  14. U

Parental Control/Monitoring Solutions?

While I do appreciate skepticism[/sarcasm?], you probably meant to write: ?? :) :) (Obligatory) Software Stuff: The shortcomings of LR parsing on English ...
  15. U

Converting an HP DL380e Gen8 14xLFF Server to a Disk Shelf

Yes, it should definitely work (e.g., for RAID50) w/12xLFF + 4x(SFFx4). And, IF the 2nd port on your 12xLFF backplane can be used as an output, then the P822 should work w/12xLFF + 6x(SFFx4) by connecting one (P822) internal port (single-link) to one port on 12xLFF, 2nd P822 internal port to...
  16. U

The H240 lacks the connections to do what you specified.
  17. U

I don't know much about HW RAID (but I doubt two controllers can conspire). I would expect a (single) P822 [alone] could work well; the two internal ports connecting (dual-link) to the (12x) LFF, and each (of 4) external port connected to one (of the 4) SFF ports. But, I'm just "guessing".
  18. U

Glad you found that "path to TRUE enlightenment". Earlier, you asked: See below (or look at your own 12xLFF backplane); see that chip (under heatsink) in the center? I'm pretty sure that's a SAS Expander chip, which enables you to connect 12 (ie 3x4) drives to a single SAS port on your HBA (or...
  19. U

Please provide a source for that spec (IN a document from HP!).
  20. U

@Mashie , pardon my sloth -- kept getting bogged down trying to write a script that would have the best chance of exposing real/useful info. ... meanwhile ... Kudos to @Goose : I've had this suspicion ever since seeing: 4KB reads are the "tell". I intended my new script to be run without...