Search results

1. andrewbedia

Size mismatch VM windows with Proxmox ZFS?

Disclaimer: I am not a proxmox user, but am well familiar with KVM and have used ZFS for many years. I am curious if you figure out a way to do this. What I've seen is that Windows will not unmap blocks in a way that ZFS sees as "freed" when stored as image files (e.g. qcow2) in a zfs...
  2. andrewbedia

HGST: Unknown smart status after low level format

It says unknown (I'm pretty sure) because there are no thresholds detected. Did this drive ever work in your possession? Try in a linux machine and use gdisk?
  3. andrewbedia

nvme enabler cable?

Yeah if you have bifurcation support on your board, just jump on the linkreal. I have a linkreal pci-e switch card with 4x 8643 on my ryzen system (I don't have bifurcation support) and it works great.
  4. andrewbedia

nvme enabler cable?

they're expensive and not worth it at all. I couldn't get more than 600-900MB/s on 2TB Intel P3500 drives. I was using a Lenovo 530-8i erased and put on stock Broadcom firmware (equivalent to 9400-8i). Also, the smart data refused to pass through. My advice is walk away and go buy a proper quad...
  5. andrewbedia

Asus Strix X399-E U.2 (sff-8639) to SATA using mini HD SAS to SATA

Highly doubtful. I would point you towards reading the manual for the board to confirm, but that is almost assuredly only for carrying PCI express.
  6. andrewbedia

Time to upgrade my 5 year old build? Using Xeon E5 2650L v3 (12c/24t) 1.8

E5-2673 v3 or E5-2678 v3 plus max effort turbo mod?
  7. andrewbedia

multiple NVMe SSD cards - still unclear

have you seen https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/multi-nvme-m-2-u-2-adapters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172 yet?
  8. andrewbedia

Ubuntu Server & L2ARC on Same Drives

What use case are you trying to target here? Storing your movies? Multiple people accessing documents/roaming profiles? Virtual machine storage? A lot of usages have no benefit to L2ARC and will just wear your SSDs out. Is this for a hobby/home use or is this for something important/production use?
  9. andrewbedia

ZFS/By-ID = wwn??

I work with ZFS day in and day out for my day job and use it at home personally. think of wwn like a mac address (it basically is the equivalent in storage land). I've never seen issues using wwn. I would leave it as is. You can create a pool however you want and then re-import it using a...
  10. andrewbedia

Need recommendation for 16x nvme JBOD (for zfs)

look up Ceacent and LinkReal on Aliexpress. Example here 39.0US $ |ANU04PE16 NVMe Controller SFF8643 SFF8639 4 port PCIe3.0 X16 SSD Exp Riser (not with cables,not support LSI 8643*2 to 8639*2 )|Add On Cards| - AliExpress I'm assuming ROME8-2T has bifurcation support. You will need to turn...
  11. andrewbedia

Experiences with NetApp DS4243

I have one DS4243. The first thing I did was put in a pair of Dell Compellent 6Gbps controllers (as you've referenced) that use normal SFF-8088. Sometimes these can be found cheap. Example here Genuine Dell Compellent HB-SBB2-E601-COMP 0952913-07 6GB SAS EBOD Controller OEM 787421252224 | eBay...
  12. andrewbedia

Datto MD70-Datto (Gigabyte MD70-HB0) BMC issues

Actual Datto employee here. Please don't start DMing me asking for help--if you're a customer, use the normal support process. Support is only provided for partners with active service. My advice in this forum comes with no warranty implied or otherwise and may actually void your warranty. The...
  13. andrewbedia

Need some basic Linux help

Just add it in /etc/fstab is the short answer and probably the right way to go. There should be plenty of examples for this. You should be able to use documentation not specific to mint since fstab is a generic part of Linux for mounting filesystems in a pre-defined way.
  14. andrewbedia

Multi-NVMe (m.2, u.2) adapters that do not require bifurcation

Honestly, I think your money is much better spent getting a SAS-2 controller like LSI 9211-8i, Dell H310, or IBM H1110. You should be able to get a card for $20 and maybe another $10 for wiring to get 6Gbps speeds. I think NVMe generally speaking would be a waste (ignoring the money factor)...
  15. andrewbedia

Any advantage to nvme hba other than saving pcie slots?

I have a pair of Lenovo 530-8i flashed to standard 9400-8i firmware. The NVMe performance was garbage (800MB/s) and it required the proprietary cable from Avago. My advice is save your money and get something from this list I posted. These are simple PCIe cards with PCIe switches. No...
  16. andrewbedia

AOC-SHG3-4M2P

If you don't get any answers from someone who has one, here are my thoughts. Your logic behind heatsink = pcie switch is what I'm thinking as well. If you're looking to already mix hardware up in terms of vendors, I'd probably suggest getting one of the ones from aliexpress that I've outlined...
  17. andrewbedia

Added oculink and slimsas. I assume the one I added is the one you have @vintagehardware ? Also, LinkReal sells as Shenzhen Lianrui on newegg, if folks don't want to deal with ali.
  18. andrewbedia

added a few things U.2 x8 4-port (PLX PEX 8724, another PCB design) m.2 x8 dual carrier (Asmedia ASM1812) m.2 x16 quad carrier (PLX PEX 8748, full profile) If you have bought and used one of these products, post a reply and I can edit the original post to indicate like... "verified" or...
  19. andrewbedia

anyone know anything about the ANM24PE16

I never used that one specifically, but I've mentioned it here https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/multi-nvme-m-2-u-2-adapters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/ Should just work edit: I hadn't mentioned that one specifically yet, but I've updated my post now. Either way, it...
  20. andrewbedia

Seeking SAS2 raid card recommendation

Just get a Dell H310. It will take care of Raid 0 and Raid 1 easily at full speed. If you ever decide to switch to software defined storage, you can use the same controller. $30