Search results

1. S

Used / "reburbished" Optical SFP/SFP+ transceivers?

My understanding is that Optical SFP/SFP+ transceivers have a finite lifetime and it's in years, not 10's of years. This would seem to mean that buying used and "refurbished" transceivers on eBay isn't all that prudent. Sellers seem to be pretty generous with their meanings of new and "New...
  2. S

Xeon E5 V1 to E5 V2 performance increase with x264

I thought this information might help someone. I've been running a x264 2nd pass encode with x264 build 2525 (x64) re-encoding a 1920x1080 Blu-ray with the following command line switches: --bitrate 18438 --preset veryslow --tune film --bluray-compat --vbv-maxrate 40000 --vbv-bufsize 30000...
  3. S

WTB: Pair of Intel E5-2690 v2 CPUs - Found / Bought

As the topic says I'm looking to buy a pair of Intel Xeon E5-2690 v2 CPUs. No ES/QS silicon. SR1A5 only. I'm looking to spend around $800 for the pair. Edit: Found / bought
  4. S

Manually enable CCTL / TLER for drives in HW RAID?

Do true hardware RAID cards, specifically the various LSI based cards, automatically enable CCTL / TLER and set the appropriate timeout delay on drives plugged into them, or is that something that should be done manually before putting the drives on the controller? IE: I buy a stack of...
  5. S

TDP & turbo limits vs. actual frequency under load (Xeon E5 v1)

In a given CPU family Intel sells CPUs at a variety of frequencies that have the same TDP. As far as I understand it for Sandy Bridge CPUs: The BIOS/motherboard/processor will enforce the TDP limit, but allows the CPU to temporarily exceed by 1.2-1.3x it for some amount of time. With...
  6. S

WTB: v1 / SB-EP Xeon E5-2687W or E5-2690

Does anyone have one of the following Sandy Bridge-EP v1 Xeon CPUs they'd be willing to sell reasonably cheap (~$300)? C2 stepping preferred, C1 is okay, no ES silicon. Xeon E5-2687W Xeon E5-2690 If so, let me know what you have and how much you want.
  7. S

Supermicro RAM tolerance / pickiness?

How picky are Supermicro motherboards with regards to RAM compatibility? Specifically LGA2011 boards with the C60x chipset. I've heard horror stories about RAM compatibility on Supermicro boards to the effect of "Don't expect anything not on the tested / HCL list to work." However, these were...
  8. S

Found: X79 motherboard with USB3.0 and Xeon E5 v1 support (CLOSED)

No longer looking, bought a new C602 board.
  9. S

Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) on LSI based cards: How?

So I have an IBM ServeRAID M5016 which is equivalent to an LSI 9265-8i with 1gB CacheVault. I have version 15.03.01.00 MSM installed. Right now I have a 6x6TB RAID-6 array on the card. I have two more 6TB drives I want to add to the array. Based on my Googling I supposedly should be able to...
  10. S

Flash OEM (IBM) Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN with stock firmware?

So I picked up an IBM flavored Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN (MCX312A-XCBT / Dual 10GbE SFP+) from eBay. It's FRU: 00D9692. The latest WinOF driver installed without issue (Windows 7 Pro). The card has a PSID of IBM1080111023 so the standard MT_1080110023 firmware won't load on it. Here's what I...