Search results

1. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Except the CRS309 only started shipping after the release of the most recent firmware (2.10) and yet they're shipping a firmware (2.7) that's from 2+ years earlier. There's some intermediate firmware releases in there too that they ignored too.
  2. S

HP SAS Expander Wiki

My adventure was not so fun. A FreeDOS USB stick didn't work since the system I was using has a UEFI BIOS. I had to use the use the UEFI method, which requires a very specific bootx64.efi file or it won't work. Of course pretty much all the links to it in the guides are broken. tianocore/edk...
  3. S

Where did I say that I used the 1gig port on the CRS309 for anything? The 10gig to 1gig was in the CSS326's. Running the 10gig traffic through the CRS309 first before the CSS326 made the problem even worse. They shouldn't be shipping new products with old, outdated, & buggy firmware.
  4. S

EU 6TB HGST Helium SAS Drives <£79

Are these really a deal? In the US you can get new HGST/WD 12TB SAS 12Gbs He 7200RPM drives for $330. That's ~3x as much for new drives that are double the capacity.
  5. S

LSI SAS9200-16E -- Slow Performance Using 8+ Drives

Only if it supports dual linking. You look to be maxing out the SAS link.
  6. S

HP SAS Expander Wiki

Thanks, but I'm nowhere near there. I'm in MI. That LSI still need to be crossflashed to a different firmware (IT) to support flashing right? I have SFF-8087 cables.
  7. S

HP SAS Expander Wiki

So what's my best option to flash two of these HP SAS expanders? I bought two on eBay that should have had firmware v2.08 per the picture of the sticker on it in the listing, but they look to have something much older (per the sticker haven't put them in a machine yet). I don't have a HBA or...
  8. S

14 Tb SAS drives not writeable

This site claims the 2308 and 2208 are 4kN compatible. 4Kn LSI Compatibility List The Broadcom site doesn't mention the 2308. The 2208 shows compatibility in the list. They don't show any incompatible 4kN drives, but it's possible there are some but they just left them off the list. That...
  9. S

SAS Expander

They are limited to 3Gbps SATA. However, there aren't any spinning SATA drives fast enough to exceed that on a sustained transfer so it's hardly a limitation.
  10. S

SAS Expander

Several years ago the HP SAS expander cards were all the rage. They may still be, I haven't kept up on it over the last few years. I'm using them in my two systems. 487738-001 HP 24 Bay SAS PCI-E Expander Card 4877380012 | eBay You can get them cheaper, but you don't want an early firmware...
  11. S

Software for Local Backup with UnMapped Network Drives

SyncBackSE is my suggestion. It can work directly with UNC paths (no drive mapping necessary). It can run scripts / program before and/or after. It can also run on a schedule or at login or logoff. I use it to backup my server to another nightly.
  12. S

Too bad they're shipping them with an old version of SwOS that's got a pretty bad performance issue that affects some computers plugged into it. I got my CRS309 2 weeks ago and it came with 2.7 which has issues with traffic that goes through it from 10gig -> 1gig. After putting 2.10 on the...
  13. S

Cross flashed M5016 - what level to flash to

Which supercap are you using? If you have the correct supercap (IBM FRU: 81Y4579) you can use the latest firmware (5.14PR). Otherwise you can't go later than firmware 5.10p1.
  14. S

IBM M5110 and CVPM02: super capacitor doesn't work with latest firmware

In English: ServeRAID M5100 Series: "Connected SuperCap having revision 13 is not supported on this Controller" message after updating firmware - Lenovo x86 Servers and IBM Systems - US Really late to prove this out, but I can confirm using the 81Y4579 super capacitor allows the latest firmware...
  15. S

What brand of switches for small business use?

What small business wants to buy out of warranty used hardware?
  16. S

5tb seagate 2.5" $100

*sigh* SMR drives have worse performance than PMR drives in pretty much every performance metric. There is no still no evidence that the drives are SMR. They don't perform like a SMR drive should.
  17. S

5tb seagate 2.5" $100

The IOMeter results don't tell us anything useful because we don't know how much data they wrote. They specifically said: So, I'm going with no*. Did you miss this line?
  18. S

5tb seagate 2.5" $100

We're going in circles. Can a SMR drive sustain 100+MB/sec writes indefinitely or not? All the reviews I've seen of them says no.
  19. S

5tb seagate 2.5" $100

They exhibit no performance characteristics of SMR drives. I wrote over 3TB of data to the drive and saw no slowdowns. If this is the performance level possible with a latest gen of SMR drives I guess I don't care anymore. I've yet to see anything suggesting that the first write has no...
  20. S

5tb seagate 2.5" $100

That's not my understanding how SMR works. FWIW, they behave the same as any PMR HDD I've used. I haven't seen any difference in behavior when copying data to them or other file operations. Model number of what specifically? I didn't shuck them. They're still in the external enclosures.