Search results

1. D

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

My advice. READ THIS THREAD in its entirety.... Several times even, to help better understand how all this works. The settings below work for me and survives guest OS reboots. The only caveat is post #245. Without it, I get pass through on initial esxi reboot, but on subsequent guest...
  2. D

See post #245 above. I detailed the script content.
  3. D

^^I had to revert to adding a group policy to enable the gpu at boot, and disable at shut down (gtx 1050ti). For a while it worked without this, but at some point (after a windows update?), it stopped and doing the above was the only thing that kept it working between reboots. Note, you will...
  4. D

Strange ESXi passthrough issue

Review the last few pages of this thread - https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/troubleshooting-gpu-passthrough-esxi-6-5.12631 . The toggle bug is a UI issue. There's ways of toggling it through command line. According to my notes, enable passthru enable via ssh #esxcli...
  5. D

New User - Help Needed

The basic concept is VM's only have access to hardware you assign them. Depending on application it may be a better idea to allow the vm direct access to the storage than through VMFS.
  6. D

[BOUNTY] ESXi GPU Passthrough [ERROR 43]

I've found disabling the onboard intel video gets rid of the error 43 with certain cards; 1050 ti but NOT 1660 ti. With the latter I have to resort to a startup/shutdown script to enable/disable the gpu. WIth such, no error 43 after reboots/shutdowns. No need to reboot host. This is on 6.7 and...
  7. D

^^I've tried every possible variation with the 1660 ti. It didn't matter, d3d0, flr, link, bridge, etc on the GPU PID, or any other pid associated with the card. I've spent MANY hours over a few days messing with this. I think we're on the right track about it being a reset issue. Something...
  8. D

Wanted to provide an update after testing with a 1050 ti. Swapped in the 1050 ti and disabled the startup/shutdown scripts (no disabling of gpu in device mgr at shutdown). Updated passthru.map with pid/vid of new card's gpu (d3d0 false). Restarted as well as shutdown/restart a number of...
  9. D

See the second post here - HomeLab with Vmware ESXI and GPU passtrough |VMware Communities He points out the unfavorable gpu state on guest shutdown. I found a program by nirsoft - How to disable, enable, and uninstall a device from command-line on Windows, that allows device enable/disable...
  10. D

I kind of figured as much after thinking about your comment. The svga.present = false gets rid of the vmware adapter/display entirely. The vm only sees a single gpu. I think much of this is coming back to some kind of reset issue. The gpu is seen after a host reboot each and every time...
  11. D

"Set nvidia gpu as primary" Elaborate please. Svga.present= false is in the vmx file to get rid of it entirely.
  12. D

No bueno. I tried this variation before. Tried again. The 1660 ti is a newer card, possible nvidia changed something. Or a combination of changes in esxi and the driver/card. I've been at this for the last few days and have tried all sorts of combinations in the passthru.map and vmx file...
  13. D

virtualHW = 18 lspci -v 0000:01:00.0 Display controller VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti] Class 0300: 10de:2182 0000:01:00.1 Multimedia controller Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 High Definition Audio Controller Class 0403...
  14. D

Which build of esxi 7 are you on? Update 1 or earlier? I've been trying with update 1. Maybe need to revert to something earlier.
  15. D

I appreciate all your help. Still coming up short. Trying to install your version of the driver. motherboard - asus h170 pro gaming cpu - i5 6600 (6500?) Gpu's hdmi is connected to a real monitor. Remote access is through vnc/rdp. It crazy how inconsistent this is. In 6.5, to get...
  16. D

Ok. I've duplicated your settings to a T, including just passing the gpu and audio to the vm, and setting the msiEnabled to false for the audio adapter only. hypervisor.cpuid.v0= false has been set all along. Still getting the error 43 after a guest reboot. I've confirmed several times the...
  17. D

^^10de:10f0 that's an audio controller right? What happened if you set to the id of the gpu itself?
  18. D

Can you post the contents of your passthru.map and *.vmx files? Which version of the driver are you using?
  19. D

Any new progress on nvidia passthrough with esxi 7 (update 1)? I can get passthrough working with a 1660 ti just fine on esxi 6.5 (latest update) with just gpu vid/pid d3d0 false (no audio/usb lines, just the single one for the gpu) the in the passthru.map and hypervisor.cpuid.v0 false in the...
  20. D

^^I use veeam. To backup, VM needs to be first shutdown. Two vm's are configured with passthrough,the firewall with a nic and windows htpc with the video card. Both back up (and restore) just fine.