Search results

1. A

[US] FS: (9) WD 10TB Easystore, (2) WD 8TB Easystore, (1) WD 8TB My Book

New 14TB to shuck are $199 Bestbuy and similar deals other places, that is less/TB than your 2-3 year old drives plus higher capacity which is more desirable for most. Maybe around $120 the 10tb are interesting but I think I saw 10tb used Enterprise drives of similar age around that price...
  2. A

Hardware Failures in 2021 - Post yours!

Let things get too how and lost a 1.92TB 21110 m.2 SSD to heat but the 4xS3610 in the same chassis kept on chugging.
  3. A

MariaDB optimization needed?

You probably don't need a MySQL database admin expert, you need an expert in the SQL language and database design. It appears from what you posted that your database structure and the way it is being queried is very suboptimal. So a SQL expert could fix the indexes making new ones where...
  4. A

Apple Ignites the Industry with the M1 Pro and M1 Max

Wake me up when I can buy an M1 or its successor with a motherboard that takes RDIMMs and has the other standard connectors.
  5. A

Optimal OS for game dedicated server

What a strange question when basically all the major games with online components run on Linux backends or if they are PC games with small bolted on dedicated servers they run Windows or Linux or both.
  6. A

5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

I was thinking 2x this but decided not to use U.2 so haven't bought or tried it. Supermicro 55cm MiniSAS HD SFF-8643 to U.2 PCIE SFF-8639 with Power Cable (CBL-SAST-0957)
  7. A

ELI5 on LTO drives.

I guess what I was saying is tape seems like so much more work and expense unless you have a ton of data like 100s of TB or more.
  8. A

If you are looking at the unit from the front you want 2 sticks in the 2 left slots sided near the powersupply on motherboard and none on the right side of the cpu socket. I have 2x32GB in mine and that is what I interpreted from the manual and boots/works fine.
  9. A

ELI5 on LTO drives.

Personally, I find having an offsite backup more comforting than having a local backup because local data is already mirrored at least. Depending on your needs it could be as simple as an Odroid HC2 or HC4 at another reliable location and rsync/vpn/wire guard or similar.
  10. A

Kioxia FL6 SSD with 60 DWPD XL-FLASH Brings the SLC

Weak, that is only like 2.3gb/s sustained to reach 60DWPD on the top 3.2tb model, it doesn't even need PCIe4 /sarcasm
  11. A

EDIT: SOLVED, apparently a 2242 m.2 NVME cannot go in the JMD2 slot even though it fits and the manual says it does PCI3x2 and it will prevent any sign of power on when present. So I got my boot drive finally and plugged the system in for the first time and pressed the power button and...
  12. A

It did not come with any RAM unless I missed it in the package. I had assumed it was the same barebones as Supermicro sells it and so I ordered RAM at the same time and I didn't even see the part of the description you referred to until your post.
  13. A

Got mine today, looks new as advertised, well packed. Waiting on ram and quieter fans I bought.
  14. A

Nice, I bought 32gb MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1SI which I think is OEM of one on Supermicro's tested list.
  15. A

Yes I could get like a DL380G9 with 2x 2680v3 or so for a similar price if I wanted to maxmize CPU power and more drive bays but I don't need that. This replaces a C3000 running a few home automation VMs, website clone for testing purposes, maybe a light game server or two for me and my son and...
  16. A

HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

The vast majority of crypto transactions are for speculation not payments of goods or services. That's fine, speculators would just find something else to speculate with.
  17. A

Any more ideas for my homelab? My server can take a bit more computing

There are some, usually called masternodes but they have a high initial investment cost.
  18. A

Yep, I couldn't resist also bought some FAN-0100L4 which should be a lot quieter and hopefully will still sufficiently cool it since I won't be running it too hard.
  19. A

Dealaholics are common around here. I use my C3558 VM box a lot and so this would be a big upgrade, > double passmark + 10G but I still haven't pulled the trigger because it would be more noise and heat than current box and it is still hot here and hot in my office where it would go. I would...