Search results

1. L

WTB: Short SFF-8087 to 4xSATA with Sideband

Have looked high and low for a ~20cm (or less) cable. I have one of appropriate length without sideband, but would like to have sb if possible. Literally the M14TQC hot swap cage is about 2 inches from the expander, so longer cables wind up blocking fan flow. Reconfiguring the expander...
  2. L

Molex Power and Current

Hi there. I have one big ol JBOD with the following inside: 4x M28SAB which take 2 Molex connections each. 2x Intel RESCV360 which take one Molex each. 1x M14TQC So, 11 Molex connections. I also have a modular power supply which has 4x peripheral plugs for Molex/ SATA. The obvious idea...
  3. L

Relationship between Cache, Storage Density, Rotational Speed and PMR / SMR

Seems the SMR drives have inflated cache to compensate for lower performance. The SMR drives however have really appealing densities and form factors (4tb in a 2.5” package, that’d be 96tb in a 2U 24 bay Supermicro chassis). So, first question: are they really so bad? I’m guessing the response...
  4. L

Two Intel Expanders, Same Chassis. ( RES2CV240 + RES2CV360 )

I have a 4U chassis which I can fit 36 2.5" (4x 8 + 1x4). I'll be using SATA drives, but may migrate to SAS. I'll be using ZFS to manage the array. So, the 1x4 will house the SSDs and hot spares I presently have an Intel RES2CV360 and RES2CV240 which are laid out like this: From what I...
  5. L

Build: Fast and Bulbous on OsX in 9U (In Progress)

Build Name: Fast and Bulbous (Multi-chassis hybrid) Operating System/ Storage Platform: OsX / OpenZFS on OsX Since this functions as one complete entity, I will keep everything in one place. It's in the last stages of completion, so more will be added as it all gets pulled together including...
  6. L

CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 Questions

Hello all, Frequent lurker here. I think first time posting. Gradually putting together a larger post with my complete build, however I have a couple of loose ends. I’ve reviewed some of the threads on the CB3 but some info I haven’t found or I haven’t seen a direct comparison in my use case...