Search results

1. Y

NVLINK bridge use in datacenter?

Thanks, interesting comparison with today's Tyan pedestal server review!
  2. Y

NVLINK bridge use in datacenter?

Hi, Just curious if anyone has experience of actually using one of those NVLINK bridges across GPUs in a datacenter? Most rackmount chassis don't position the GPUs where they can be used, seems intended for tower cases?
  3. Y

Current server pricing?

Thanks, this is for work, we have budget, and buy from resellers. Just experiencing this purchasing round that prices discounts are less generous, support/licensing is being pushed harder, wondered what everyone else is seeing in the market? There isn't a lot of price transparency. It's looking...
  4. Y

Current server pricing?

Yeah don't mind paying for quality/support, but the realistic total in practice is a lot more than the $9-12k mentioned for the switch: https://www.servethehome.com/inside-the-arista-dcs-7060cx-32s-32x-100gbe-switch/
  5. Y

Current server pricing?

Yeah thanks, I've been getting other quotes. Our VAR is definitely quoting high, should be $10-12K/server. Now I just have to get something through the purchasing department. On a related note, what's a good ballpark price per brand-name 100 gbps port (including os licensing/support)? We're...
  6. Y

Current server pricing?

Hi, I'm interested in approx/range pricing everyone else is paying for a standard (non-vsan) VM server? The latest quote I have through my regular purchase channel is pretty close to list? I know the supply channel is an unprecedented mess right now, but suspect we could do (much) better...
  7. Y

Too many places to comment on posts?

Hi, Just an observation that there are multiple places to comment on STH posts, and many don't garner replies? The least effective appears to be the "STH Main Site Posts" section on the forum? Sometimes a discussion gets going on comments below articles on the main site, though STH rarely...
  8. Y

Shared SAN

Hi, Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to VMWare/storage. My project needs shared storage for a VMWare cluster. Our DC manager has sworn off vSAN. What would you recommend for: Just storage for 10-20 VMs with snapshots Not performance critical O(50TB) capacity? 16GFC Long-term reliability/low...
  9. Y

Optimal Core Count/Interconnect balance?

Hi, Is there an optimal number of cores for interconnect within a socket? The older intel Xeons had the ring bus, the newer SPs have mesh, I've not researched the EPYC interconnect. Is there a number of cores for each generation at which the interconnect is balanced, above which there is...
  10. Y

Firmware management?

Good point, but I was assuming updates would follow the usual test/slow roll out practice. Looks like some businesses are using fwupd to manage firmware?
  11. Y

Socket Direct OCP NIC 3.0?

Hi, Mellanox have had "socket direct" adaptors since ConnectX-5 which avoid cross-socket bottlenecks by plugging into 2 PCIe slots: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/networking/ethernet/socket-direct/ Unfortunately they don't seem to be widely available/adopted? There was a talk at the last OCP...
  12. Y

Firmware management?

Thanks for the overview. Is there a vendor independent solution? Has anyone used Redfish (or a tool built using the API)?
  13. Y

Firmware management?

Hi, How is everyone managing firmware for (heterogeneous) fleets of servers? I've done individual servers via IDRAC or ILO GUIs but there must be a better way? Is it possible to curate a local firmware repo then command all machines auto-update? Thanks!
  14. Y

Voracious Low-End Consolidation Tyan Transport CX GC68B8036-LE Review

Are dual socket servers still cost advantageous? For high throughout storage the advice is to have separate NICs per socket, and for newer CPUs there are more DIMM slots and power to handle? A 2U4N where the nodes are single socket seems the new sweet spot? Power supplies & IPMI could be shared...
  15. Y

Future data center power/cooling?

From today's "STH Q1 2021 Update A Letter from the Editor": Any rumors as to the reason(s)? Will CXL/Gen-Z require lots of power, or enable much higher density, or are the next-gen C/GPUs TDP monsters?
  16. Y

Migrating to the cloud is a different question, I'd like to focus on datacenter supply. We've started to get requests for GPUs, and deep 4u servers stuffed with disk. Sometimes we can't fill the rack with current power limit
  17. Y

Hi, I've seen hints in posts that future processors will be higher TDP, generally power density going up, and even some references to liquid cooling! I can see the power-density with modern servers packed with NVME drives, GPUs, and high-speed networking. I guess the future processor TDP is...