Search results

1. Patrick

If you thought last week was a busy week...

Right now STH is running at a pretty crazy pace. Usually I target 1 piece per day. So far we have 21 pieces in 14 days, and a large number of server reviews. The server reviews take a lot longer since the average server review is now 3000-5000 words. On the video side, we have had 7 videos in...
  2. Patrick

Patrick's 2021 Fiber Build-out

This is one that you are going to see on the main site over the rest of 2021. It is consuming a ton of time to plan and just get materials for. My goal is to go build something different and big so that way I can help give STH readers some inspiration on these items. The project: Running (a lot...
  3. Patrick

New STH Studio Feedback

My table never arrived from the old studio but did a lot of work on getting something working for this week's reviews. I previewed it to Will and he thought it was OK as well. Lighting was done at... 6% power on the three and that needs to get increased. Still, I think it is interesting...
  4. Patrick

Ultimate Home Data Center

Is this a deal? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13229-Southview-Ln-Dallas-TX-75240/118222349_zpid/ I am fairly sure if it was within an hour of me it would be the new STH HQ. I suspect it would cost a lot more to build. It also reminds me of some cityscapes where this happens.
  5. Patrick

Early July 2021 Update

Hey all, You probably noticed that I have been quite absent this week. The reason is fairly simple. Getting ready for the big summer expansion at STH. Tomorrow I am getting the keys to the new studio. At the same time, we gutted one of the data centers earlier this week, and have a bunch more...
  6. Patrick

Hardware Failures in 2021 - Post yours!

Apparently, I did not see a thread for this. Lost a 64GB DIMM that got a bit hot.
  7. Patrick

Looking for some Dell Part Number help DSS FE1

Dell has a part, the DSS FE1. It has a PCIe switch and allows you to put 20 M.2 NVMe SSDs into a double-width PCIe x16 slot. Does anyone know what the part number for this is? I see configured units for $15K-25K list but I wonder if there is an unpopulated option.
  8. Patrick

Shaping the sub-forum discussion

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to post jobs whether they are full/ part-time hires or if they are just for bounties to get something specific done. Here is a thread to start this off with a few areas I would like feedback on: Minimum Post Requirement: STH has many lurkers...
  9. Patrick

Rough Content Plan March 2021

Hey everyone, Family health issues have not subsided. We have more people in the hospital, not less so I am quite backed up right now. The sleep I got last night was in an ER parking lot. Tomorrow is going to be the first piece where I am going to have to pull a swap because something is simply...
  10. Patrick

A cool ~3 minute video on Mars

I just saw this and thought I would share. NASA video of the Perseverance Mars Rover landing. NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover on Twitter: "Your front-row seat to my Mars landing is here. Watch how we did it. #CountdownToMars https://t.co/Avv13dSVmQ" / Twitter I have no idea why, but I find...
  11. Patrick

A quick update

Perhaps this is a precursor to the 2021 Q1 letter, but just giving a glimpse of behind-the-scenes. Content Doing content for STH this quarter has been extremely challenging. In Q4 we started seeing companies shift desires to get Cascade Lake/ Rome servers reviewed. These reviews take weeks so...
  12. Patrick

E-mail Confirmation Button Missing?

I am just making this sticky thread since once or twice a week we get folks who e-mail asking why they cannot register. Each time it is due to there being no confirmation button in the e-mail. Of the last 50 cases going back to mid-2020, every time it has been due to an improperly configured...
  13. Patrick

Lenovo M90n-IoT $200

If you wanted a low-cost node, not as good as many of the TMM nodes, but this is a passively cooled unit with 2x NICs, 4GB, low-power Core i3, Win 10 home, and a 128GB SSD: $200 here Lenovo ThinkCentre M90n IoT Desktop, i3-8145U, UHD graphics, 4GB, 128GB SSD | eBay Not too bad really for...
  14. Patrick

Canon EOS C70 Real-world Usage Notes

I am ultra-excited. I finally had a Canon EOC C70 show up. Four pre-orders with different shops on the launch day in September and now in mid-December, the first arrived. For the STH YouTube, I have been using the Canon C200 which is fabulous. There are two features I really wanted that the...
  15. Patrick

MAJOR EVENT - Please Read

Hi everyone. I absolutely hate to have to break this one, but I did something bad and I need everyone to be aware of what happened. Earlier today, I was going through the reports, and someone reported one of @hmartin 's posts as spam. It was not. I misclicked and it removed something like 188...
  16. Patrick

Is anyone else getting stir crazy?

I just wanted to vent a bit and see how others are handling this. Last year, as an example, I flew over 140,000 miles just on United. There were a few other flights on China Eastern Airlines and others as well. On average, I was on a plane once every five days. I was commenting to Will...
  17. Patrick

Lenovo M90n $399

I saw this and am pretty excited for it. Lenovo via Ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M90n-i5-8365U-w-vPro-8GB-512GB-SSD-Win-10-Pro-1-Yr/164397882269 Same price on the Lenovo website...
  18. Patrick

Hot Chips 32 (2020) Coverage

Just as a heads-up, we are now thoroughly in the Hot Chips 32 (2020) coverage zone. For the next few days, expect a lot of really cool chip disclosures. I think we have what is normally a week and a half worth of coverage between Sunday and Tuesday.
  19. Patrick

Need help power wise

Hey guys, This is going to sound strange. I got a new pellet smoker, a GMG Jim Bowie Prime Plus. Interestingly enough, it uses a DC input. The power input is basically a car cigarette lighter input. I looked it up, and these smokers use very little power. The majority of the cooking is done...
  20. Patrick

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Project TinyMiniMicro is something I have wanted to look at for some time. There are a lot of home server users out there who need large amounts of storage. Others simply need a server to run a WiFi AP controller, a VoIP solution, and a few other services/ development VMs. What and Why Tiny/...