Search results

1. W

Stable Powerline Adapter - comparison/test available?

Well, depending on the terms of your lease, you might be able to just attach fiber (like the singlemode OS2 that I use) using command strips/pads and hide it under the moldings. As for the line conditions, it depends on multiple factors like whether you have dishwashers, fridges, microwave...
  2. W

Stable Powerline Adapter - comparison/test available?

if reliability is what you are looking for, you won’t find it in Powerline. I was an early adapter with the first powerline standards (20mbps) and went all the way to the TrentNet 1500mbps adapters…all of them have been either slow, ran into high latency issues, drops connectivity a few times a...
  3. W

Fujitsu Futro S920 Thin Client as opnsense firewall

Eh, the 424CC is closer in tech to the 420CA in the t620 plus - both are “big cat” (Jaguar/Puma) cores, while the RX427BB in the t730 are from AMD’s “heavy equipment” family (specifically the Piledriver). The 424CC in the Futro S920 is not nearly as power hungry as RX427BB in the t730, but the...
  4. W

HP's new toy (or your future disposable Ryzen embedded box for 2021/2022)

Eh, that's a bit odd. It's a 8/128/Windows model (implying a more premium model) but yet the "ABA" model number is not given. It also states that there are no warranties on the machine (which is odd since they typically have HP's 3 year depot-only base warranty baked in - although that...
  5. W

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Generally speaking, if it’s a TMM/Corporate NUC, chances are good that it’ll come with a TPM. As for secureboot and from my experience, machines after Broadwell shipped in the US with TPM and Windows will likely have UEFI on, legacy boot off, and secureboot turned on. Your reseller might wipe...
  6. W

Ultimate Home Data Center

I thought Homeguy moved to Austin...(didn't he mention that in one of his videos)?
  7. W

Intel i350 dual NIC MiniPCIe adapters - legit/workable for TMM nodes?

Oh boy, so I figure I’ll drop an update - I got my M.2 A+E to MiniPCIe adapter today and gave the Hinsenyo a try on the HP t640 thin client (M.2 adapter)…and to my surprise…it worked. Showed up, grabbed IP via DHCP and had no issues. And then to further pour salt onto my wounds, the card also...
  8. W

Thanks! I pinged the reseller on eBay and they told me that the ETA on the NIC is...unknown due to the i350 network chips being backordered (yikes!)...so I guess buying directly from Commell is out for the time being. Would definitely appreciate the reseller info...
  9. W

Yeah, their dual GbE is an i350 design, and is also rather similar to the Jetway (so I am not sure if one is copying the other). It's a bit different from the LR-Link (or its clones) in that the LR-Link uses a dualport mezzanine card that you reach with a standard MiiniSAS cable, while the...
  10. W

Fujitsu Futro S920 Thin Client as opnsense firewall

Eh, the CPU in the Futro S920 is the embedded version of the A4-5000 APU, which goes back to...2013. The APU has a 10 year extended availability cycle so it's sold until 2023...but I doubt that there are any new/recently announced designs with that chip inside. It's the the same vintage as the...
  11. W

*sigh*. Do we have testimonials from any other owners? YMMV is not great when it comes to network cards.
  12. W

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Good deal, but those S01s (just like their HP 290 cousins) are SFF (small form factor) desktops meant for home consumers, not TMM machines - HP's own specs on it states that they are 7.75 Liters in volume. Most TMM machines are less than 2 liters in size (the Z2 Mini G4 that @Patrick just...
  13. W

Okay, let’s see - the missus stashed my Kapyon tape away but 3M Scotch tape is still available… Note that pin 30 and 32 is basically covering the 15th and 16th pin on the bottom (there is a mechanical key between 8th and 9th pin),. Taping it up isn’t hard, and it could be doubled up to make...
  14. W

Well, its worth a try - I'll do it using the breakout adapter and some kapyon tape then report back.
  15. W

Well, I don't have a MiniPCIe to M.2 A+E adapter, so my testing are all done directly on MiniPCIe slots. The main issue here is that there really isn't anything written about card that would tell you how many watts it'll need, or if it require certain traits on the slot (which was never...
  16. W

Albert Einstein’s once famously defined insanity as doing the same things over and over again but expecting different results...and going by that definition, I felt like I was a bit insane this evening. I got the replacement i350 card a few hours ago and tried it with the Acer laptops, the...
  17. W

Well, I currently have 2 hypotheses concerning this card - a) The i350 card got issues, and its cheap(er) sticker price (49 versus 80 via eBay dropship or 100 via Newegg) made me wonder if some corners were cut. b) MiniPCIe is not nearly as compatibile as most would’ve assumed - my guess is...
  18. W

Eh, i didn’t recall the Wyse 5070 having a MiniPCIe slot - aren’t they only equipped with M.2? Regarding the power issue, that’s not something easy to solve, since I am not aware of any way to inject additional power into the socket. As far as I know, the standard 3.3v power rail on a...
  19. W

Well, this sucks. I can't seem to get the miniPCIe card to work. Had to deploy my aviator snips to cut an opening onto the underside of the IEC4650 to mount it - the edges were filed down so I won’t get a bonus case of involuntary bloodletting cutting myself on the sharp edges. So far, no...
  20. W

On Ice Lake Intel Xeon Volumes and Market Penetration Q3 2021

Ah yes. I guess I deserve that condescending response.