Search results

1. Fritz

eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

I always do.
  2. Fritz

WTB: Quiet/Silent Rack in Boston Area

The only sound insulated racks I've seen were mega bucks. I'd rather wear ear plugs.
  3. Fritz

Ok Deal: CSE 847 server with 96GB DDR3, SAS3 HBA for $1K

Agree. These were probably cobbled together from parts on hand.
  4. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Mine didn't come with an air shroud or inner rails but it did come with one HD caddy. :)
  5. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

They're gone. :(
  6. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

The add is exactly the same as the first one so I assume it does. The first add didn't mention the PSU model either but the cut and paste from SM says 920w 80 plus Platinum. so I figured it had to be the 920SQ. Neither listing mentions the SAS3 backplane either but if you look closely at the...
  7. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

I like the idea of adding a fan to a passive heat sink. I have one box that doesn't have enough fan headers. Gonna dig through my fan box and see if I have one that fits that plugs into the psu.
  8. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Yea, I'm the same way. Something missing would make it incomplete. One thing that pisses me off about Some SM chassis is that if you put something other than an extended ATX MB in it there's a good chance the main PSU cable ain't gonna reach the motherboard. Had to order another extension cable...
  9. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

There's a removable section where the drive bay goes. I assumed all that need be done is to remove it and insert the drive bay in it's place.
  10. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Yea, really no good way to mount a SSD boot drive without the rear drive bay. I'll keep my eye out for one at a reasonable price. Till then, as is will do.
  11. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Yes, it came with cables and they're plenty long enough to reach the ports on the X10SRH-CF.
  12. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Yes, caddies with metal rails will work with this chassis as will caddies from an old SC933 chassis. Fortunately I had enough spare caddies to fill this puppy.
  13. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Yes, you will need caddies. You cannot plug a HD directly into the backplane. You have to have caddies. This chassis does not come with caddies.
  14. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Just wanna add I have several PWS-1K28P-SQ's and they are nowhere near as quiet as the 920's. I now understand why the 920's sell for a premium.
  15. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

The worst server I own is a Quanta 2U. It's so noisy I hardly ever fire it up. Sounds like a Huey taking off and landing.
  16. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

This thing is the quietest server in the farm. In fact, I had to open her up to make sure all the fans were running. Apparently SM managed to quiet down the chassis fans as well as the PSU's. Looking on the SM website I see that this chassis does indeed come with the 920SQ's and SAS3 backplane.
  17. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Power consumption will depend on what you put in it. The 920SQ's are 90 Plus Platinum, don't think they get any more efficient than that.
  18. Fritz

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Ran across this chassis for $156 plus $65 shipping. I jumped on it because it comes with 2 920 SQ PSU's. It just arrived and I was pleasantly surprised. It has a SAS3 backplane. Dropped a X10SRH-CF in along with some 12g HD's and all is golden. Sweet deal...
  19. Fritz

What's causing this?

Moved all 6 drives back to a SM chassis and they all test good and all copy operations, including a downloads folder proceed normally. I know the MB is good because it was previously in a SM chassis and gave me no problems. I suspect a flakey PSU. Will know shortly. One of the drives suddenly...
  20. Fritz

What's causing this?

Thanks. Source is the boot drive which is a DC 3500 480Gb. I'm copying the contents of the download folder as a test. I'll try a large file and report back.