Search results

1. P

PfSense Starting Fresh: Advice?

Is this a known vector of attack?
  2. P

Cable for r7x0 server

I am trying to find the right cable to use for my r720 with r730 backplane installed to run to a card in the rear PCIE slots (5,6,7). greater than 31" long left (?) angle SFF-8643 -> straight SFF-8643 Something like the Dell 9MHYN might work but the angle is in the wrong direction I think.
  3. P

R720 backplane swap

Adapter cable made and working well... Now to figure out which SAS cable fits best.
  4. P

R720 backplane swap

First pass bench test looking good. Used external 12V power supply to r730 backplane 10pin connector. I was able to route the HBA cable and backplane signal wire out one of the empty PCIE cover slots. I am not sure if the "ID" (grey wires) are important but I used a small jumper wire to short...
  5. P

R720 backplane swap

I want to use 12G SAS drives in this chassis and right angle 8087->8643 cables are hard to come by.
  6. P

R720 backplane swap

I will not be using the mini integrated slot for raid. I will be using an hba330 pcie.
  7. P

Dell QL41164 Disable Option ROM?

The R720 bios doesn't allow disabling the rNDC OPROM, anyone ever hack a dell bios?
  8. P

Yeah, I guessed as much. I don't need to do any booting off this NIC so I figured there might be some way to turn the option rom off all together? Going through the command line tools I don't see anything obvious.
  9. P

I installed a QL41164 RNDC card into my R720 and it complains about the option rom at boot. Anyone have any ideas how to disable it? Bios only lets me disable option rom for devices in the pcie slots not the RNDC port.
  10. P

R720 backplane swap

I am working on swapping an R720 8xLFF BP with an R730 8xLFF BP. Looks like all I will need to do is make a custom cable combining the 2x 8pin power connectors on the R720 into the 10pin R730 power cable. Anyone ever done anything similar? Attached is my pinout documentation I worked out from...
  11. P

NVDimm support on AMD Epyc

Analog Devices bought Linear Technology a few years ago.
  12. P

Chelsio T540-CR PCIE Bracket

Anyone have any ideas for getting a bracket for a T540-CR? Maybe someone has made one to be 3d printed? Thanks!
  13. P

EMC Branded HGST SSD Firmware Update

Is it possible to update firmware in drives like the HUSMM1616ASS204 (IDs as HUSMM141CLAR1600)? I have a mix of C250 and C342 firmwares on my drives. I would like to upgrade them all to C342 or newer if possible. I was able to change them all 520B->512B blocks and 6gb->12gb rate already but...
  14. P

Needing pointers on current decent enterprise SATA/SAS SSDs

HGST SAS SSD1600 series parts are usually considered good drives. These are high endurance devices but it doesn't even sound like you need that. Why not just get brand new Samsung or Intel consumer drives at retail? It sounds like you will be putting minimal writes on these drives so why not...
  15. P

Seeking advice on older hardware

By the numbers the TDP on E5 vs E3 aren't drastically different unless you go for one of the anemic versions <25W which I wouldn't personally use. There are plenty of ATX boards for E5 and this is a fileserver we are talking about here, how small do you need to to be? I guess the OP didn't...
  16. P

What would be the positives of any E3 over a E5 v1 or v2? One of the main drivers of performance in truenas would be RAM, that is a half to a quarter of the price if you stick to registered DDR3.
  17. P

Better off with e5 v2 platform for cheap ram for truenas.
  18. P

GIGABYTE MB10 Datto Motherbaord Xeon D-1521 with I/O Shield - $130 + shipping

Sounds like if it was well built people wouldn't be having so many issues...
  19. P

X9SRW-F v1.01A with v2 xeon?

So a bit of an update here. I did find this information: FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc. This seems to allude to revision vs chip generation issues. I ended up ordering another X9SRW-F board from ebay which specified 1.02 revision. I got the board in and it...