Search results

1. A

2016 vs. 2019 Hyper-V

I know my hardware is all 2016 friendly, as I am running it all already in a separate installation on metal. My question is, is there anything that I would be missing from 2019 if I chose to just deploy 2016 Hyper-V Server ? I should also add, this will be an edge installation for PFsense and...
  2. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

I almost feel dirty for asking this, but is anyone using Hyper-V for their home PFsense deployment and/or misc SDN or Security ? Or Hyper-V on the edge for anything ? I have a use case where my antiquated hardware is all Server 2016 friendly, dropped hardware support in ESXi and finicky in...
  3. A

Anyone have a collection of Intel SR26xxx Chassis / S5520UR Motherboard Legacy Firmware etc. ?

I am wondering if anyone has a collection of the last BIOS, Firmware etc. for Intel S5520UR Motherboards (Dual CPU LGA1366) and/or Intel SR2612URR 2U 12bay chassis ? I have a couple systems that I would like to apply the last available firmware etc to see if I can get a handle on the fans...
  4. A

Expander and Backplane stacking/cascading to facilitate a modular storage expansion plan ?

Is there a preferred connection strategy for Expander/Backplane Stacking/Cascading from a single RAID Card ? If forced to chose, which of the following 2 connection strategies would you settle for ? Parts count and cost are not an issue, as I have most of the required hardware already. (As...
  5. A

New Forum Category idea ?

The complete lack of sarcasm on my part doesn't translate very well through txt, so rest assured, I am being serious. Any chance of a 'Home User', 'Poor Kid', 'Home Server' or other area to separate some of the less interesting (for example...not pointing fingers).... "still using LGA1366" and...
  6. A

Mixing SAS Drives in the same array - Same brand/speed - different generation/cache

I have an array that is made up of 2TB Dell branded Seagate Constellations that simply refuses to die or.... even degrade. I have the opportunity to grab another handful of Dell branded Constellations for literally nothing, but they are a generation older. Current drives - Constellation ES.1...
  7. A

LSI SAS RAID Adjustable Task Rates

In terms of the % for each adjustable task rate on an LSI SAS RAID card, at what rate do you find doesn't continuously beat up on the drives and cause excessive heat or wear etc ? Also, I have my arrays set to do a Read Patrol and Consistency check each once per week (both throttled at 40%)...
  8. A

Budget NAS rated HDDs - Is it worth giving 'new' WD Red+ drives a chance ?

To preface, this is for Home Media Storage. Nothing mission critical here. With WD scrambling to save face over the SMR/CMR debacle, is it worth assuming that if purchasing the NEW WD Red Plus that seem to screaming CMR from the rooftops and dropping prices, that I will get a bit more for my...
  9. A

Anyone here familiar with welding or soldering Aluminum ?

Why ? Heatsink 'stacking' or custom LARGE passive heatsink, using original device heatsink as a base to weld or solder more material to....because I don't own a CNC. What ? What would be the best welding rod/paste/solder to permanently 'join' aluminum blocks together that maintains near...
  10. A

Intel SR2612URR (2U, Dual LGA1366, 12bay HS) - Lower Heat and Power Consumption with CPU swap

First off, I apologize for posting about such ancient hardware in this forum, but hopefully it won't be much longer....lol The Background: I have an old Intel SR2612URR 2U/12bay hotswap chassis. It's complete, unmolested and in as-sold trim. Current CPUs are a pair of E5620 (lowest bin 4c/8t...
  11. A

Home IoT/Wifi Security and Best Practices

I am in the midst of laying down a plan for my upcoming DIY security setup and will be using 99% 2.4Ghz Wifi Open Source/maker type devices and was wondering if anyone could offer any tips in terms of overall security of the network ? As most of this will be INTERNAL, I am not too concerned...
  12. A

D-Link Wifi Extenders - Mesh Diamonds in the rough (too low brow to post in Networking)

Let's face it, YOU are the family's on call IT Support....and Grandma's Wifi is weak and she can't browse Pinterest or download recipes on her iPad. Are you going to shell out for an AX upgrade for her ? because she surely isn't going to pony up for it. All ISP Modem/Router Combos are now...
  13. A

Competency Evaluation - Advice on diving into RouterOS/MikroTik from Housewife Networking

I have an opportunity to pickup a reasonably priced CRS210-8G-2S+IN and am wondering if I am jumping needlessly into the deep end and perhaps not preparing myself for a steeper-than-I-am-interested-in Learning curve. Although an end of life product, it still is appealing to me and can still...
  14. A

Intel S2600CP Onboard SAS Controller

I am considering ditching all of my LGA1366 gear ahead of schedule and consolidating things onto an LGA2011 V2 platform and found myself doing a little 'homework' reading through the Intel S2600CP manual and found something that caught my eye.... In the manual, it says that the Onboard SAS...
  15. A

Q: Single ATX Power Supply as Multi-Voltage, Multi-Device centralized DC power bank ?

Could a standard ATX power supply be used to power multiple devices simultaneously ? +5V to multiple SBC/RasbPi +12V to Misc Router/Firewall/Desktop Switch (all originally 12V DC units of course) +12V to Fans, lights etc. Using an ATX 'breakout' board such as this: Does this sound a little...
  16. A

SAS Expansion - Single Server + External Array vs. Twin Servers, for small network.

Sorry guys, it's arts and crafts time again. A Pic can explain it better than I can without one... As an aside, the # of HDDs shown means nothing. They are for hardware representation only. The Problem: Only 1x SFP+ 10g Port in Netgear MS510TX (my chosen LAN backbone). I need to add Media...
  17. A

Netgear MS510TX - SFP+ Help

(for reference) Netgear MS510TX https://www.servethehome.com/netgear-ms510tx-review-this-is-one-funky-switch/ Can someone who is currently running this switch recommend either an SFP+ DAC or a Copper Module that is friendly with the unit ? I am going to connect my media server to the SFP+ port...
  18. A

PCIe Bifurcation functions and possibilities

While this may not directly relate to a specific board by model or name, it may very well apply to more than I know, so I apologize in advance for this hypothetical, as I am trying to better understand the Bifurcation option(s) on my Desktop board. While I understand that Bifurcation on a...
  19. A

LSI HW RAID w/possible onboard cache issue - Can Cachecade save me ?

I have a current media server that I am trying desperately to get a bit more life out of before I retire it for newer technology and have found that there may be a problem with the LSI RAID controller's onboard cache (soldered to board, non-removeable/non-upgradeable) as it has a habit of going...
  20. A

8 drive 3.5" SAS2 Backplane - OEM/E-Waste available and DIY Friendly ?

Is anyone aware of the existence of an 8 drive 3.5" SAS2 Backplane that is E-Waste or OEM available and possibly DIY Friendly ? I am looking to breathe life back into a SansDigital 8x3.5" twin-eSATA connected box (TR8-xxx) as a DIY project, as these units are essentially being given away...