Search results

1. Bjorn Smith

EU FREE DDR3 RDIMM's

Hi, Since none of you cheapskates wants to buy my RAM - I have decided to give it away for free + shipping of course: 8 8GB DDR3 Hynix PC3-10600R RDIMM HMT31GR7BFR4C-h9 d7 ab (GONE) 4 4GB DDR3 Hynix PC3L-12800R RDIMM HMT451R7AFR8A-PB T8 AF 4 4GB DDR3 Samsung PC3-10600R RDIMM...
  2. Bjorn Smith

Boycot PayPal

Hi, I would suggest you all boycot PayPal and find other means of transferring funds when buying or selling stuff. I have tried now for several hours to "Decline" a payment that I got from another member here because he wants to buy something from me - that is not possible because of "techical...
  3. Bjorn Smith

BackBlaze B2 real life stories

Hi, I am considering trying BackBlaze B2 for storing my veeam compressed backup files, i.e. multi gigabyte files - some bigger than 150GB. So I wonder if anyone here have experience with B2 and can provide real statistics of the following sort: Average size of files backed up Total size of...
  4. Bjorn Smith

TrueNAS network tuning

Hi, I am just setting up my new TrueNAS server - and I have a ConnectX-5 100Gbps card that I have installed. Machine have 128GB RAM, a Xeon E5-1650v3, SuperMicro X10SRi-F. Network is set to 9k jumbo frames. It is working as it should - but doing a iperf from my esxi box to the TrueNAS server...
  5. Bjorn Smith

Suggestion needed for BIG SATA SSDs

Hi, I could use some help in finding enterprise grade SATA SSD's in capacity >=2TB - as in suggestion for model names etc. I need them for a ZFS mirror that will be used to write backups from my veeam servers - so they need decent endurance, since I will be writing around 300GB/week +/- Speed...
  6. Bjorn Smith

EU [Obsolete] WTB: 2xIntel P4510 2TB

Hi, Looking to extend my nvme zfs pool, so I need 2x Intel P4510 2TB if anyone have two lying they are not using. I am hoping to get them to around EUR 250 a piece depending on lifetime left of course. I am located in Denmark (Europe) - and will pay shipping on top of the price. Send me...
  7. Bjorn Smith

Alibaba NAS cases

Hi, Just wondering if anyone have tried ordering a "NAS" case from alibaba and what their experience has been? I know most shit is built in china anyway. I found this case - looks well organized - but its too bad that it uses SATA connectors + MOLEX for power...
  8. Bjorn Smith

EU WTB: Cheap U.2 SSDs

Hi, I just received a cheap U.2 controller from china (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/noname-nvme-adapters.30509/) and I want to test if it even works, so for that process I need 4x CHEAP u.2 drives. It does not matter what size or state they are in, as long there is life...
  9. Bjorn Smith

EU FS: Quadro GPUs

Downscaling my LAB, so have the following bits for sale. Quantity Item Pricing 1 nVidia Quadro M2000 4GB GDDR5 £100 1 nVidia Quadro K2200 4GB GDDR5 £50 2 Sold 2TB Intel P4510 U.2 NVME drives (used - not for chia mining - appx 40-45TB written on both) £300/ea/£550 for two All...
  10. Bjorn Smith

Noname NVME adapters

Hi, Just stumpled upon: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32964367145.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.5aab3349tNtIWG Which is a 4 port NVME adapter, i.e. so you can hook up U.2 drives - which apparently uses PCI-bus bifurcation unlike the SuperMicro counterparts - and its cheap - so I wonder if anyone...
  11. Bjorn Smith

LAB Downscale

Hi, I decided to downscale my homelab a bit from 3 - down to just one machine. I did the downscale mostly because I was too ambitious about what I wanted to use the lab for and also to save a little power, since not having two switches and two servers running does add up. My previous setup...
  12. Bjorn Smith

FreeNAS virtualized under ESXi

Hi, I am considering downscaling my homelab to just one server. But that would require me to virtualize my FreeNAS under ESXi and then use the FreeNAS pools via ISCSi or NFS. Every single time I have tried it in the past - server reboots has been a pain in the butt, since ESXi is so slow/not...
  13. Bjorn Smith

EU FREE: (GONE) 2xHGST 4TB SAS HUS724040ALS640

Got these two drives just sitting on my desk. HGST 4TB SAS 7.2K RPM HUS724040ALS640 I bought them refurbished, but never got to use them since they generate too much heat for me to like them. As far as I remember they have only written a couple of hundred GB's, so essentially "new" Free for...
  14. Bjorn Smith

EU SOLD: Dell PowerEdge VRTX incl. blades

Hi, I bought this PowerEdge VRTX thinking it should replace my other servers - but I have decided otherwise. Its a great "machine" - not quite as silent as Dell would like you to think, but not as noisy as yo mama or a normal rack server. I have updated everything to latest firmware. I have...
  15. Bjorn Smith

Split QSFP+ without splitter cale

Hi, I know I can buy a QSFP+ splitter cable so I get 4xSFP+ ports in the other end - but does anyone know if its possible to split the port without a cable? I know on my mellanox switch I can just do a: interface ethernet 1/5 module-type qsfp-split-4 force Which then seems to appear as 4...
  16. Bjorn Smith

StarWind VSA Linux Version (sort of)

Hi, I looked into StarWind VSA, but discarded the idea since it required a windows machine to run it. Then today I found out that there is a linux version of it - great I thought - so I proceeded to download the VSA and installed it in vsphere. I was poking around on the linux machine that it...
  17. Bjorn Smith

EU WTB ConnectX-3 40/56Gbps PRo's

Hi, I have several ConnectX-3's already in my rack, but I want to try the PRO version to see if i can get iSER working with the PRO cards. So if you have two or more you want to sell cheaper than ebay prices, please PM me :) I don't care if it is Mellanox/HP/Dell/IBM/Lenovo or whatever OEM...
  18. Bjorn Smith

ESXi iSER iSCSI

Hi, I have a couple of servers connected via a Mellanox SX6018 - all servers are running ConnectX-3's (non pro) I am trying to get the holy trinity to work, ESXi, with iSER and iSCSI. I have done all the prequisite steps, created the iSER adapter, updated both my switch and network modules...
  19. Bjorn Smith

SSH disconnects

Hi, I have a weird issue with my local network. From my windows desktop - when I SSH directly to one of my servers in my rack I get random disconnects - I have tried turning on SSH keep alive and tcp keep alive, but nothing matters. my ubuntu terminal in windows says: Connection reset by...
  20. Bjorn Smith

Dell VRTX CMC Enterprise License

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here have good contacts that might be able to get me a cheaper than list price Dell PowerEdge VRTX CMC Enterprise License. I realised two pcie cards per blade is not enough for me - I want to move my "SAN" inside by VRTX, which means I would need 3 pcie cards for...