Search results

1. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

- Intel SR2612URR 2U 12x3.5" Bay Servers (Dual LGA1366, Intel S5520UR Motherboard) - Onboard Intel Gbit nics are invisible to ESXi (I only have 3 PCIe slots in the server to add to, so these 2 onboard are important). - Chelsio 10Gbit Dual SFP+ Offload NICs are flaky in Linux, BSD (S320e-CR) I...
  2. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

There is a single 2.5Gbit port on the back of their modem/router. I will be running it in bridge mode, yes. Alternatively, my current TOR is a Netgear MS510TX, so even if forced to use the ISP hardware, I can still get the full speed out of the connection to the PCs in my home that need/want...
  3. A

2016 vs. 2019 Hyper-V

I know my hardware is all 2016 friendly, as I am running it all already in a separate installation on metal. My question is, is there anything that I would be missing from 2019 if I chose to just deploy 2016 Hyper-V Server ? I should also add, this will be an edge installation for PFsense and...
  4. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

The wife said that I can get >1Gbit Internet if it doesn't require me to spend any cash on new parts. It's either I make these couple of Realtek 2.5Gbit NICs that I already own, work, or I am stuck using the ISP's crappy modem/router/firewall combo that completely ties my hands.
  5. A

PFsense on Hyper-V

I almost feel dirty for asking this, but is anyone using Hyper-V for their home PFsense deployment and/or misc SDN or Security ? Or Hyper-V on the edge for anything ? I have a use case where my antiquated hardware is all Server 2016 friendly, dropped hardware support in ESXi and finicky in...
  6. A

Anyone have a collection of Intel SR26xxx Chassis / S5520UR Motherboard Legacy Firmware etc. ?

I am wondering if anyone has a collection of the last BIOS, Firmware etc. for Intel S5520UR Motherboards (Dual CPU LGA1366) and/or Intel SR2612URR 2U 12bay chassis ? I have a couple systems that I would like to apply the last available firmware etc to see if I can get a handle on the fans...
  7. A

Expander and Backplane stacking/cascading to facilitate a modular storage expansion plan ?

Here they are on Amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/Homyl-Backplane-5-25inch-Internal-Aluminium/dp/B07NSR3QK6 I was able to purchase them previously for about $15-$20 USD each/shipped, but the price has since gone up for North American listings. You may want to try Aliexpress, as they are always...
  8. A

Expander and Backplane stacking/cascading to facilitate a modular storage expansion plan ?

I just noticed that. I found an Amazon.ca listing for $30 CAD shipped (~$25 USD) and ordered a couple of the 'Lenovos' to keep as spares just in case. I also still have a couple 'IBM' 6Gb originals, one of which still needs a firmware update to recognize my drives, but the Lenovo branded...
  9. A

Fair enough. While I have a healthy enough collection of HW SAS2108 based LSI cards to choose from, all are only 8 lanes per (twin 8087's). I should be able to run a pair under the same Management Console, providing there isn't a driver conflict, as they won't match. The 9280 4i/4e (shown in...
  10. A

While I can't comment on the most popular IBM 6Gb or HP 3Gb, the Lenovo branded 6Gb expander seems to have zero issues on HW RAID, being fed a single 4 lane connection in order to support an 8 drive SAS array and another 8 drive SATA array simultaneously following a couple months of testing. I...
  11. A

Is there a preferred connection strategy for Expander/Backplane Stacking/Cascading from a single RAID Card ? If forced to chose, which of the following 2 connection strategies would you settle for ? Parts count and cost are not an issue, as I have most of the required hardware already. (As...
  12. A

Anyone here familiar with welding or soldering Aluminum ?

I think most the the heatsinks on my cards, including the model you pictured are pretty much the same, so I will give it a shot.
  13. A

New Forum Category idea ?

The only thing worse than being the smelly kid, is being the poor kid....lol
  14. A

Budget NAS rated HDDs - Is it worth giving 'new' WD Red+ drives a chance ?

I am the only user that actually writes to the array(s), so drive speed isn't a real problem. Once an array is written to, the data doesn't really change. My traffic is 99% Reads. With your point about the WD drives in mind, I will stick with Seagate and grab more Ironwolf drives, as I am happy...
  15. A

New Forum Category idea ?

The complete lack of sarcasm on my part doesn't translate very well through txt, so rest assured, I am being serious. Any chance of a 'Home User', 'Poor Kid', 'Home Server' or other area to separate some of the less interesting (for example...not pointing fingers).... "still using LGA1366" and...
  16. A

Mixing SAS Drives in the same array - Same brand/speed - different generation/cache

Just trying to make up my mind on a purchase. Care to weigh in ? https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/budget-nas-rated-hdds-is-it-worth-giving-new-wd-red-drives-a-chance.32688/
  17. A

Mixing SAS Drives in the same array - Same brand/speed - different generation/cache

Fortunately everything that I keep hot is also backed up in cold storage, as this is simply part of my Plex Media Server Library, so nothing really mission critical. I had planned to begin upgrading slowly to SSDs, but I simply can't justify the over $100+ CDN per TB....and still rising. For...
  18. A

I have an array that is made up of 2TB Dell branded Seagate Constellations that simply refuses to die or.... even degrade. I have the opportunity to grab another handful of Dell branded Constellations for literally nothing, but they are a generation older. Current drives - Constellation ES.1...
  19. A

Looking for Dual mini-ITX cases

Here are a couple... https://www.rackmountmart.com/rm2u/rm2037.htm https://www.rackmountmart.com/rm2u/rm2036.htm
  20. A

LSI SAS RAID Adjustable Task Rates

In terms of the % for each adjustable task rate on an LSI SAS RAID card, at what rate do you find doesn't continuously beat up on the drives and cause excessive heat or wear etc ? Also, I have my arrays set to do a Read Patrol and Consistency check each once per week (both throttled at 40%)...