Search results

1. funkywizard

cheap / used server board with most PCIE lanes

Real pain in the ass though. Won't fit into a chassis of any kind. The one I have I mounted onto plexiglass and the plexi onto a rackmount shelf. The motherboard took up the -entire- width. Power supply has to be behind or in front of the motherboard, not to the side of it like any other...
  2. funkywizard

home server rack : how to mitigate the fire risk ?

If you're concerned about the fan failing, a simple solution is to get an additional fan.
  3. funkywizard

cheap / used server board with most PCIE lanes

How is that "crazy expensive"? You're trying to connect as many super expensive GPUs as possible. For the whole rig the motherboard would be what, 5% of the total cost at $300? Less? Server motherboards with a lot of lanes on them (say, 60 pcie lanes across 7 slots) also cost in that ballpark...
  4. funkywizard

Monero Mining Performance

Monero has changed a lot since then. Totally new algo.
  5. funkywizard

EXPIRED P3605: $209

Depends on the server / OS. We can usually boot from these but it's not slways free of problems.
  6. funkywizard

EXPIRED P3605: $209

I've bought hundreds of these, they're great. Use a static wrist strap when handling them. I've had a decent number fail during handling before taking this precaution, unlike normal SSDs which are less sensitive, this has exposed electronics.
  7. funkywizard

Microchip Adaptec 24G SAS Tri-Mode RAID and HBA Launch

Looking at similar Brocade adapters, 16i hba runs $700-800, and the raid card well over $1000. So if a pcie switch card runs 300 bucks yeah theres zero reason to use an hba or raid card for that function.
  8. funkywizard

Microchip Adaptec 24G SAS Tri-Mode RAID and HBA Launch

An hba might be simple enough to be a raw pcie switch if they wanted to do that. Probably not well suited to that purpose but hypothetically possible. A raid card on the other hand obscures from the OS as to what drives are connected, presenting the OS with a virtual drive for each array. In...
  9. funkywizard

18TB Enterprise HDD $424.99

Yeah WD warranty is pretty easy. Samsung is mostly fine too. Everyone else seems pretty committed to not honoring their warranty if they can manage it.
  10. funkywizard

For the last few years I've only bought the HGST branded, or, for more recent drives, HGST-production-line WD enterprise disks. Old school WD Black / Raid edition drives were fine too, but not relevant these days. WD Blue was a "Seagate quality" drive model -- won't touch any of that class of...
  11. funkywizard

"Come back"? They were the worst drives out there in 2005, 2010, and 2015. Can't say about now because I finally learned my lesson and won't touch them ever again.
  12. funkywizard

SOLVED (OLD Servers) - Two SuperMicro servers died without reason

Yeah sure looks like you need to replace the cmos battery. Not too surprising for something of that age.
  13. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

Michael Burry sees index funds as being in a huge bubble. Given that valuations have been getting out of whack on the heavily indexed securities, and what with money flows favoring them for quite some time, it's easy to see the logic in this position. At the same time, "the market can remain...
  14. funkywizard

FS: 20 Packs of 16TB and 18TB drives

nobody learns anything
  15. funkywizard

Which fiber should I install in a new building?

Single mode b polarity female mtp12 or mtp24. With a breakout cassette at each end = D
  16. funkywizard

Post your mining rigs

Thanks! Right now, most of these have dual 2680v3, 64gb ram. Ubuntu. All drives individually addressed with their own mount point (no raid or anything fancy). 10g networking to move plot files onto the servers.
  17. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

Market dynamics are reasonably simple at a macro level, as all crypto is going in the same direction at the same time: Net cash inflows < Net cash outflows = Price is tanking Not just for this coin but for crypto in general. Only reason you had the explosion in crypto prices the last year or...
  18. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

Looking at the price of the coin (down 75% from the high), I'd say, on average, people are not pursuing this strategy of "screw it I'll just buy the coin"
  19. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

This ponzi scheme is in Beta
  20. funkywizard

THE CHIA FARM

Now if I can just make 1000 plots every 5 seconds, no need for proof of space.