Search results

1. T

General Home Server suggestions - Plex, HomeAssistant, Email with room to grow

CPU, they will both work fine for what you are talking about. I'm not 100% up to date on video transcoding, but I'm sure you can find info on that. If you want to do things like hardware passthrough, Epyc and Threadripper are nice as you have more PCIe lanes so you don't lose performance with...
  2. T

New here.

Shrug.. I still run 2 1366 systems. One is a firewall on OpnSense, one is my main storage/VM server. It gets the job done. They are power hungry, but so is the 10G switch, and the HDDs in the storage box use more than the CPUs. I will say that the single proc firewall can't saturate a 10G link...
  3. T

10 4tb hdds

SATA expanders seem to have more issues than you would get with just a HBA. SAS expanders seem to work well for most people, but you can get a pair of HBAs for less than the cost of an expander, at least at the time I was looking. I would just get a pair of 8i HBAs unless you get a really good...
  4. T

Setting up routing between 2 different subnets - what are the basics?

You will need to set up a route to it then. Another option is to give the server an interface on each VLAN. They can be virtual interfaces on the same physical interface. Exactly how you do that depends on the distro, Proxmox has a web UI that includes support for it. The traffic has to...
  5. T

Proxmox VE raid 1/ZFS?

If there's no I/O, why have the Optane at all? :) IMO, the issue with consumer SSDs and ZFS is overblown. It does run them a bit harder, but it's not like they are going to die in a week. Even with the Optane as a cache, you still have to push data in/out of the SSDs. I wouldn't use the...
  6. T

Proxmox VE raid 1/ZFS?

Sure you could. Either would likely work fine. I'm not sure how much you would gain with the Optane drive in either case though. A ZFS mirror is already quite fast on SSDs. To really benefit from a cache, you need that cache to be faster than the drives. It is, but how much? And you would...
  7. T

I would, and did, separate them out with VLANs and use my OpnSense firewall to route between them, the little traffic I allow between them. My setup is pretty simple. Internal network. Reasonably secure/trusted devices that I want to generally allow to do most things. Main file server...
  8. T

I think you might be missing some parts of how IP works. The stack compares the destination address to the netmask and local IP to see if it is on the same subnet. If it is not, it checks the routing table for a route to that subnet. This can be a specific route, or the default route. It sends...
  9. T

Masquerade is NAT. You don't need it for this. Forget all the upper layer stuff for now, you need to get L3 working. Unless you are using L3 routing in the switch, you don't need to configure it for subnets. The subnets need to be isolated, either physically or with VLANs. It is possible to...
  10. T

Freenas advise please: RAID array ? vdev ? what are my options ?

There has been talk about in-place upgrades, but I don't think anything has come of it. It's a difficult problem and it's very high risk. You can make a striped mirror raid-10 style array. You can upgrade those 2 drives at a time. Downside is 50% usable space. You can make another raidz and...
  11. T

What would you recommend I do about a congested network segment?

If they are going to insist on those ridiculous wifi cams, I don't know that you can really fix it. You're running up against physics. Particularly when they are so junky that they are 2.4Ghz only. Even worse if they keep adding new ones. A few with better placement are better by far. Since...
  12. T

Looking for Fast/Cheap Wireless solution

Personally, I'm waiting to upgrade wifi gear for 6e stuff to be more available. I don't think I own any ax compatible devices at the moment. The added band is a huge benefit, particularly if you have neighbors with 5.8ghz stuff. That said, if you can, wired is always better. It's better to...
  13. T

Network setup help

Well, the usual way is all the internal LAN wired stuff comes to a switch. The switch has a connection to the pfsense box, which has another connection for the WAN side, which goes to the cable modem or whatever. pfsense being a VM or metal doesn't matter, the basics are the same. The Asus...
  14. T

ZFS on centos rapid SATA drive failures

What controller/HBA? Any errors in dmesg? smartctl -a /dev/sdX show anything? I'm debugging something similar with a replaced drive. It works to start with, but scrubs fail later. I started getting this in dmesg, "Unaligned partial completion" errors. I found that it is commonly linked to HBA...
  15. T

Should I bother with fiber between floors?

If you think you can get the fiber in there, I would do it. 10G is usually OM4 LC/LC cable. It depends on the transceivers. The connectors are a little larger than the cable, so if a CAT5 was tight, the connectors might not fit.
  16. T

Network IPv6, firewalling, routing, oh my...

That's the thing that sucks about DHCP-PD. Your prefix can change. In practice they seem to stick pretty well unless you send a release. I can see why the ISPs like it, you request, you get a prefix that works. No problem. But when you are using those addresses inside the network, having the...
  17. T

Sounds like you have a good start. The DNS thing is one of the things on v6 doesn't get handled well. The DHCP service isn't required to get addresses, so the server doesn't have the information. The common suggestion is to use multicast DNS or dynamic DNS. This requires each machine to send...
  18. T

Yup. pfSense still can't do DHCP-PD properly. OpnSense can do most things. You have the right idea for assigning prefixes, but pfSense doesn't support it and they aren't interested in fixing it. If you bring it up with them, they insist that your ISP is stupid and you should get a new one. Not...
  19. T

First real network setup. Looking for confirmation that I'm doing it correctly.

What are you installing custom firmware on? It sounds like a consumer wifi router, so something like DD-WRT? Yes, you can use the WAN port bridged to the others that way. I think some models have performance implications doing that. I doubt that it would be a big deal, but something to be aware...
  20. T

First real network setup. Looking for confirmation that I'm doing it correctly.

I don't have any sources, but learning about this stuff doesn't have to be too bad. I think of a VLAN as an isolated network. It's like if you have 2 switches that are not connected to each other. Now you have 2 networks. If you want machines to talk to each other on different networks, you need...