Search results

1. AveryFreeman

Setting up routing between 2 different subnets - what are the basics?

I'm thinking I'll put my main file server on a more permissive VLAN, I'd like to have access to it at least from the preponderance of both Linux and Windows devices. Funny you mention OPNsense, I also use it. I'd rather not have VLANs have to route LAN through the firewall, as I am using some...
  2. AveryFreeman

This definitely made the most sense to me so far. A question, then: What would you do? Lower the resolution and assign a range from part of the subnet to each of the directory servers' DHCP? Or my cockamamie plan to have two subnets connected via static routes? re: VLAN, I agree, I need...
  3. AveryFreeman

Troubleshooting GPU passthrough ESXi 6.5

Did you see this post? Might be helpful - if you saw/tried it already, I apologize. Looks like there's hope for geforce people after all, though. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/troubleshooting-gpu-passthrough-esxi-6-5.12631/page-13#post-282674
  4. AveryFreeman

Yeah, you've gotta tell us what you're working with. If it's a GeForce, I'm out of ideas. Try and find some resources from other people who've gotten it working, but AFAIK it's a really hard nut to crack, that's why I bought a Quadro.
  5. AveryFreeman

Two sets of ID management that require their own DNS. I am entirely open to different ways of doing this, if you have a better idea I'm all ears.
  6. AveryFreeman

Ah, OK, so you think I should be routing through the gateway? I hadn't actually thought of that. I thought if I had a conditional forwarder set to forward traffic it could forward it to a second subnet, regardless of it all being on the same physical network. I could set up new virtual...
  7. AveryFreeman

Hey, So this might be kind of complicated - so far it's a bit over my head, but I know it's absolutely possible. I'm trying to set up routing between two subnets with an AD trust between the two of them, but let's put the AD/IPA trust aside for a minute, because none of it will work without...
  8. AveryFreeman

I always had to have svga=true, otherwise I wouldn't get any video at all, so if you got svga=false to work, you're on a different path than I was able to get working hypervisor.cpuid.v0 = false was the key to fixing this in my instance with an nvidia GPU (quadro p400). I've heard GeForces are...
  9. AveryFreeman

Is anyone familiar with using kerberos tickets from AD for linux clients?

More info: OK, so I've made user keytabs and computer keytabs. Generally speaking, the user keytabs seem easiest to manage I've been kind of trying to do a hybrid connection between winbind and sssd simultaneously, because sssd works pretty reliably for authentication, but winbind appears to...
  10. AveryFreeman

Well, I'm trying to auth the entire host, rather than just one user. But maybe I'm over complicating things Here's the workflow: Create krb5.keytab using ktpass on domain-connected Windows client, specifying service/FQDN@REALM - host/ and LDAP/ seem like good all-purpose services for...
  11. AveryFreeman

I have never touched ldap.conf for configuring anything re: samba/winbind/sssd before, very interesting. I will have to man. Why would ldap have anything to do with kinit, though?
  12. AveryFreeman

Hey, I recently started trying to authenticate my linux clients using ktpass on an AD-connected Windows client to generate a kerberos keytab for use in linux. Here's the main guide I'm following...
  13. AveryFreeman

32GB DDR4-2666 RDIMMs $85 ea

What version BIOS are you running? I've got an X10SRL-F + E5-2660 v3 that needs ram... Just updated to 3.3 BIOS, not an ES...
  14. AveryFreeman

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

I stuck our thread hijack over here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/accelerated-packet-pushers-e-g-xdp-vs-dpdk-what-do-you-use-and-why.32101/
  15. AveryFreeman

Accelerated packet pushers, e.g. XDP vs DPDK - what do you use, and why?

@mmx01 I have a VM running VyOS I'm using as a packet pusher for a storage network. I'd like to offload it to an old E3 board I'm using as an OPNsense router. But my storage network is 40Gbps, and it's impossible for even a fast board to get that kind of throughput, let alone a dual core E3...
  16. AveryFreeman

Yeah, that'd be great. I'm still a little confused about how the stuff fits together. I built dpdk a few times years ago, but then discovered there was nothing to really use it with at the time, given that basically all linux network software was using kernel based TCP routing - either that...
  17. AveryFreeman

Grease in peripheral slots?! Who would do such a thing??!!! Board hosed?!?

I poked at it with a couple q-tips, which did basically no good, so I finally grit my teeth and shoved a few PCIe cards in and turned it on Looks like it's working just fine... going to be gross if I ever take the cards out, though Update: I ran it overnight after putting the cards in it, it...
  18. AveryFreeman

omg so I guess if it's dialectic grease, it should be OK This guy on youtube has put it in all sorts of shit, I've seen two videos so far where he's put it in memory and cpu slots He definitely wins the award for weirdest youtube sponsors
  19. AveryFreeman

Well I guess it's a no from me, as well - I was planning to use it with my ConnectX-3s too. WTAF.
  20. AveryFreeman

Dude, So I bought this server by some people that admittedly said they knew nothing about it. It was advertised as a motherboard, but they said it came with everything. So I ordered it, curious about what I might find. When I get it, I open it up and look at one of the slots and I notice this...