Search results

1. AveryFreeman

Setting up routing between 2 different subnets - what are the basics?

Hey, So this might be kind of complicated - so far it's a bit over my head, but I know it's absolutely possible. I'm trying to set up routing between two subnets with an AD trust between the two of them, but let's put the AD/IPA trust aside for a minute, because none of it will work without...
  2. AveryFreeman

Is anyone familiar with using kerberos tickets from AD for linux clients?

Hey, I recently started trying to authenticate my linux clients using ktpass on an AD-connected Windows client to generate a kerberos keytab for use in linux. Here's the main guide I'm following...
  3. AveryFreeman

Accelerated packet pushers, e.g. XDP vs DPDK - what do you use, and why?

@mmx01 I have a VM running VyOS I'm using as a packet pusher for a storage network. I'd like to offload it to an old E3 board I'm using as an OPNsense router. But my storage network is 40Gbps, and it's impossible for even a fast board to get that kind of throughput, let alone a dual core E3...
  4. AveryFreeman

Grease in peripheral slots?! Who would do such a thing??!!! Board hosed?!?

Dude, So I bought this server by some people that admittedly said they knew nothing about it. It was advertised as a motherboard, but they said it came with everything. So I ordered it, curious about what I might find. When I get it, I open it up and look at one of the slots and I notice this...
  5. AveryFreeman

Questions about OCFS2: How to span local partitions, journaling, lvm2-lock, clvm, etc.

Hey, curious about how to get distributed volumes to span several devices. Unfortunately haven't seen much literature about this. I'm actually using Ubuntu instead of Oracle Linux, but the setup procedure appears virtually identical. Here's what I'm following, which seems to be the best...
  6. AveryFreeman

What would you recommend I do about a congested network segment?

Hey, I manage a network at an outdoor restaurant we have a single subnet with a ton of devices. We have occasional gremlins and I am trying to figure out why. It's not terrible, but there's issues with reliability now and then - mostly latency issues (I think) which usually get noticed when...
  7. AveryFreeman

Adaptec/Microsemi SmartHBA 2100 4i4e SAS3 12Gbps $125 - works great w/ ZFS, ESXi 7, can do RAID or HBA on same card

Hey, I bought a big chunk of HP OEM Microsemi/Adaptec SmartHBAs for my lab and I don't need them all, so I'm selling a few that I am not using. They work great w/ ESXi 7.0 so far, using native SmartPQI driver. I've also used them with ZFS VMs both through RDM and PCI passthrough. The really...
  8. AveryFreeman

How would you recommend I proceed w/ 2 networks, one NIC system?

Hey, So I've got this board I was planning to use mostly as a router/firewall w/ opnsense It's fancy enough I could put ESXi on it and run a couple other things, but not much - was thinking a couple VMs that idle most the time, like Unifi controller and VCSA It only has 1 pcie slot (x16)...
  9. AveryFreeman

Mellanox Connectx-3 w/ ESXi questions

Hey, new to Mellanox cards, RDMA in general. Wasn't sure what really to expect with these, but knew they'd be faster than current 82599-based network I've got 3 hypervisors and was going to use these for storage backend, sharing between the 3 probably gluster, or maybe 2 with drbd (still...
  10. AveryFreeman

How to get smartctl-like information from HGST SAS drives (?)

Hey, Wondering if anyone knows if there's a good way to get hard drive statistics from HGST SAS drives using mpt3sas driver. I didn't realize until recently SAS doesn't report statistics for smartmontools, so I was scanning them with smartctl trying to figure out why I couldn't get stats like...
  11. AveryFreeman

Anyone ever cross-flashed an HP-branded adaptec controller with stock firmware?

Hey, So I have this controller. It's a smartHBA 2100-4i4e. I bought it thinking it should be compatible with SmartHBA firmware, but I neglected to read the fine print that it is sold by HP. So now I find out it's only compatible with HP firmware, as far as I can tell. Has anyone ever...
  12. AveryFreeman

Can't seem to update Adaptec firmware - What am I doing wrong?

Hey, I've got an Adaptec/Microsemi SmartHBA 2100 I'm really excited to try out, but I think it's firmware is too old for it to be recognized as an HBA by ESXi 7.0 I have the SmartPQI native driver in ESXi, I know it's loaded (it's in esxi software vib list), the card is listed under lspci...
  13. AveryFreeman

Microsemi / Adaptec SmartHBA 2100?

Hey, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with this HBA. Its datasheet makes it look really cool, but I can't find any reviews or anecdotes in forums from people who own them. Positives: SAS3 - but much cheaper than most other SAS3 cards In the ESXi 7.0U1 HCL ESXi, MAAS and OpenStack...
  14. AveryFreeman

Using SAS expander for multi-host, multi-channel failover setup?

Hey, Pretty new to SAS expanders, so this might sound kind of ridiculous, but I recently learned about 2 hosts connecting to 1 backplane, so bare with me... I have 2 Supermicro hosts in cases with the TQ-style backplanes, so 1 sata-style port per drive I'm wondering if multiple hosts can be...
  15. AveryFreeman

Supermicro 826 backplane in 825 case, anyone tried it?

Hey, I'm stuck with a Supermicro CSE-825TQ-R540UB case, and I just got a new motherboard for it, and now I'm realizing there's only the TQ-style backplanes available for it, I can't upgrade it to a backplane with a SAS expander (for multipath) I was wondering if anyone's tried to put an 826...
  16. AveryFreeman

Is anyone running MAAS?

I've got a vSphere setup, but my hardware keeps getting dropped from the HCL with every upgrade, and there's a ton of super cheap hardware out there I could grab on eBay that would work if I just ran linux + kvm instead. Plus, much better container support... Is anyone running MAAS? It looks...
  17. AveryFreeman

What happened to the `zfs set shareiscsi=on` command?

Hey, I see reference to this command occasionally, usually in pretty old literature, and I'm just wondering what happened to it: zfs set shareiscs=on pool/zvol Has it been depreciated? I found reference to it here: https://illumos.org/books/zfs-admin/advanced.html#gaypf Also ZoL...
  18. AveryFreeman

Strange iperf3 speeds - incoming about 1/2 as fast?

Hi, So I'm trying to set up a new OmniOS 151036 VM on a new ESXi host. I'm using vmxnet3 driver from solaris 10.3.10 iso right now, but was using open-vm-tools previously. Not seeing much difference between the two, I only switched to see what would happen since I'm seeing these slow incoming...
  19. AveryFreeman

When is OpenZFS 2.0 coming to Illumos?

Hey, Wondering if anyone knows when ZFS 2.0.x will be in the mainstream pkg repo? I guess I could always compile it, I've been doing it on Ubuntu for the last few months... would be nice if it involved less work, though ;) Thanks
  20. AveryFreeman

Anyone using IB over ConnectX-3 w/ ESXi 7.0U1?

Hey, I've never used an IB adapter before, but I was thinking of doing some direct-attached IB adapters for my 3 ESXi hosts now that I learned my 3 Intel 82598EB adapters I dug out of storage are now no longer supported. I do have VCSA if that matters. I have 82599 10GbE for basic networking...