Search results

1. M

Revising my expectations during the chip shortage

I'm not sure how I should feel that after a while spent looking, I finally found a semi, kind of, sort of, almost, modern generation GPU, new, for close to MSRP? Thrilled that I found one at all, or saddened that its so hard to find? Maybe both? Only a GT 1030, but enough to play with...
  2. M

Probably(?) Dumb Supermicro 1U Chassis questions (Power Supply & Rear Window)

Just researching what to buy next and didn't find answers on Google to these seemingly conflicting bits of info. Asking because I'm cheap, but also because I'm curious. But, mostly because I'm cheap. 1. 1U Chassis with Redundant Power Supplies: Are 50mm (e.g. PWS-703P-1R) and 54mm (e.g...
  3. M

Supermicro SC813M - How to install a PCIe card in Slot 7?

The SC813M is designed for the riser to go in Slot 6. Is there a smart/easy/common way to use a PCIe card in Slot 7 instead? When using an ITX motherboard for example? I assume I'm not the first person to want to put an ITX board in one of these. SM customer support of course says..No...
  4. M

OCP Mezzanine GPUs? Is there such a thing?

I've got a motherboard with an OCP 2.0 Type A Mezzanine connector for PCIe x8 connectivity, and was wondering if GPUs exist for this connector standard? I don't know much about these connectors (or OCP in general) and from my googling, seems like networking is the most common use. But as I...
  5. M

SM PWS-920P-SQ: dim amber status light & chassis alarm

The status light on one of these PSUs glows amber when plugged in, but only dimly. When power switch is pressed, it stays dim amber while the second supply in the chassis switches to green, the system boots and the chassis alarm comes on (presumably because its sensing only one PSU?). Does a...
  6. M

SM 826 w/Single Expander Backplane question

Found a pair of SM 826 on my local Facebook Marketplace at a price so low that I thought I'd never see the like again. So I went into the "Ohhh Shiny! Must have! Buy now, research later!" mode that's completely and totally screwed me over... er..um...served me so well so many times in the...
  7. M

WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0 (Easystore shucks) Feedback from anyone using these?

Anyone been using these? What's been your experience? Google didn't return any recent useful commentary on these, so thought I'd ask here. I found some initial speculation when these, and the 10TB EDAZ models started showing up in Easystores (for example...
  8. M

Any upgrade path for Dell PE 6100 XS23-TY3 4 Node Servers?

Asking more 'cuz I'm curious after following the C6100 & subsequent C8220 threads ( https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/dell-poweredge-c8220-build-and-questions.11292/ ) Is it possible to use newer/other nodes and/or different motherboards with the existing node sleds in these 4...
  9. M

Fan mounting in Supermicro SC813M

In short: Any tricks for replacing the 40x28mm fans with 40x20mm (i.e. Noctua or similar)? I bought an SC813M on Ebay that arrived with the fans lose inside and without the mid-plane fan holder that was in the original listing photos. The seller gave me the option of keeping as is or sending...
  10. M

Supermicro X11SSQ-L w/G4560 & 8GB RAM - $99 Shipped (Ebay Offer)

June 14, 2021 update: seller accepted $45 offer (plus $15 shipping…so $60 total). ______________________________________ Original Post: Was watching at a higher "30% Off Sale Price" price ($104.30 + $15 shipping) because it looked interesting. Received an offer from the seller today for...
  11. M

Does anyone know what brand/model chassis this is?

Seller's description says its a 1U Supermicro CSE-505....but obviously not. Does anyone recognize it? I asked the Seller who replied, "its what's in the pictures, that's all we know". Closest match on Google for the part number in the backplane picture is SM CSE-505, which at least explains...
  12. M

HP branded Optane 905p: Any gotchas?

Just found a 480gb HP branded Optane 905p on Ebay for $54 shipped, and I grabbed it without thinking. Now I'm wondering if there's any gotchas or vendor lock-in with HP branded ones? I already assume any firmware updates will be a pain (no HP servers on hand). Sometimes I just can't stop the...
  13. M

RAM goes "missing" with IBM M1115 installed

This is a "new" Unraid build that includes an IBM ServeRAID M1115 in IT Mode (9211 8i P20 firmware). With the HBA installed, RAM in DIMM Slot A of the ASUS P9D-I motherboard goes unrecognized at the BIOS/UEFI level (board has two RAM slots). I'm wondering if this is some sort of little known...
  14. M

New Fujitsu D3348-B23 Motherboard (LGA2011-3), $200 OBO ($140 accepted), Ebay

Short Version: New, bulk packaged with I/O Shield and Driver disk. Mine came well packed and double boxed. These are C612 chipset & support E5-v3 & v4. They don't have IPMI but do support S3 sleep, so probably best used as a desktop. One PCIe slot supports bifurcation (although I haven't...
  15. M

Recommendation on an LGA 2011-3 Motherboard that sleeps properly for desktop use?

I want to assemble a new desktop to run Linux, with Windows via VM & GPU passthrough. Rebooting between OS's sometimes several times a day is getting old, and my current mATX setup lacks the expansion for a second GPU. But, since its a desktop, I also wanted to be able to use sleep/resume...
  16. M

Anyone familiar with Shin-Etsu thermal compound?

Anyone know the shelf life of Shin-Etsu thermal compound? I got a couple E5-2640 v2s cheap on Ebay that wound up being new sealed HP CPU Kits, complete with alcohol wipes and tubes of Shin-Etsu thermal compound in sealed bags. Normally, I'd throw it away, since I have no idea how old it is...
  17. M

Current Games that can take advantage of Dual CPUs?

My son wants to update his Haswell generation gaming rig. But, but as with many 17 year olds, he's short on cash. He's noticed how much computing power (at least on synthetic benchmarks) you can get for cheap with older generation dual CPU setups. But, I'm guessing that most "A List" games...
  18. M

Used Access Point Recommendation: Range over Speed & Features

I volunteer at a small educational non-profit that's been using a cheap consumer 802.11n WiFi router (connected to an ISP provided wired router) as an AP for wireless at their small warehouse/offices (~2500 sf). Its finally dying, and I thought a used low-end commercially oriented access point...
  19. M

Skylake Xeon Gold: worth the the upgrade from E5 v3?

Someone nearby is selling a Motherboard/CPU combo with Xeon Gold 6135 (Skylake SP, 8C/16T, 3.4Ghz) & Tyan mothernoard for $150. My home setup includes two Haswell systems with E5-2667 v3, also 8C/16T. One is my desktop, and the other is running Unraid. Looking at Passmark benchmarks for the...
  20. M

Tyan S5620WGM2NR $70 @Amazon US (one available)

Only one in stock @Amazon US. Amazon.com: TYAN S5620WGM2NR S5620 Computer Motherboards: Computers & Accessories Not an exact 1:1 feature match, but it may be an option for anyone who missed out on the SM X10SRH-CF deal a while back...