Search results

1. T

more reliable main OS HDD's? (not SSD's)

For those of us still on conventional spinning rust for whatever reason, what HDD would you buy and why to be your main drive? Like are there certain value ranges for cost per TB, or notable reliability differences between makers for not a radical amount of money? (assume that things will be...
  2. T

faster 2.5 external USB drives? (nonshingled?)

Does anyone know what the performance difference of shingled vs nonshingled laptop sized drives are for sustained write when theyre basically clean to start? I'm trying to set up a system for offloading terabytes of field-shot 4k to 6k digital video as fast as I reasonably can. I'd like to...
  3. T

best value shuckable ext USB drives as of apr2020+

So i've been out of the loop for a little bit. Got held up by college and corona... I'm needing to buy 12-36TB worth of external USB hard drive storage sometime between now and later fall, possibly even thru Dec. To start dealing with a growing data problem which could increase by as much as...
  4. T

changing username/details

Just a mild question... ...since i'm hoping to finally migrate from the semi-lurking question-asking user to someone actually posting (I hope) some interesting projects, builds, and related such over the next few months, what's the recommended protocol (and is it okay) to change a username, or...
  5. T

buying an LTO Ultrium drive suggestions?

Finally nearing the time to drop some coin on hardware. One of the first things on the list is an LTO6 tape drive for an offline media archive and also for backup use. I am wondering if there is any reason to choose one maker (ie IBM vs Quantum vs HP) or model over another. About the only...
  6. T

does all workstation class hardware support ESXi equally well?

I posted a similar themed question about MacOSX in the diy workstation area but this is a little different... if i'm planning on buying a motherboard based around the Intel 5520 - that is the workstation chipset for LGA 1366 Nehalem/Westmere, because I want to use some used Xeons and lots of...
  7. T

Hackintosh - do I go Supermicro, Tyan, Intel, or ...?

Latest round and topic of computer research continues... trying to understand the latest possible curveball.. It's becoming increasingly apparent I will probably want to directly boot MacOSX (I also hope to explore using OSX under ESXi, VMware, etc but I assume that's easier - this is...
  8. T

LGA1366 vs 2011 for 4k 6k 8k vidwork?

Argh... i'm starting to feel like a box of corn flakes the way I seem to keep 'changing my mind' but I keep learning unexpected things, or the economics change. I feel I must profusely apologize for spamming up the board to pick brains but you guys have the knowledge I lack and sometimes I...
  9. T

can x16 slots be split? (ie into 2+ slots of x8)

I've seen the risers that let you put cards away from the motherboard, or adapt x1 slots to physical x16 ones to work with any card, but if you have something that only has one x16 slot to begin with is there any way to hook multiple cards up to it especially if it's got x4/x8/x16 electricals to...
  10. T

So.. need help getting into a Quanta Windmill in 2018 :-P

So i'm hoping to finally join the ranks of Quanta Windmill owners. I know the last year or so i've seemed a little waffly, asking alot of diverse questions in different directions, and not yet jumping on deals offered by others - cash wasn't yet available during the struggle to get into...
  11. T

predicting RAM values/when cheap again/where cheapest now?

So i'm slowly narrowing my search for workstation hardware... still looking at a possible buy in around Feb-Mar this year hopefully. (should finally have CASH IN HAND unlike the previous year where I had to disappoint everyone saying I was still just planning :) ) Some part of me feels like I...
  12. T

virtualization on Quanta WindMill newbie questions

Is anyone else currently running something like ESXi on one of those Quanta WindMill setups? I'm a bit of a newbie to all this (but you already know that, half of you roll your eyes at my posts as it is >_>) i'm just trying to understand my options. Please correct any misunderstandings I...
  13. T

Could a Quanta Windmill match ThreadRipper for less $?

So i'm contemplating all future workstation options at the prodding of others and I come across this - 16-Core ThreadRipper 8K Video Editing Workstation for Premiere Pro CC and DaVinci Resolve - which makes me wonder how close one could come (or could you run 12 cores per socket and even...
  14. T

Buying & Upgrading used workstations - first questions

Not 100% sure if i'm in the right category... So i'm considering a "new" (used) workstation... esp after sudden hardware failure literally on college finals week "worst of all possible times" making it clear I better start searching... and my understanding is just like ServeTheHome was to my...
  15. T

help, "windows 10 suddenly unusably slow/not responding"

So 24 hours ago my system was working. Now all the sudden it doesn't seem to. And i've no clue whats even going on. Was there some windows update I wasn't aware of that's screwing up PC's? If the hard drive was failing would windows know and tell me? Not sure where else to ask as i'm not...
  16. T

help, "windows 10 suddenly unusably slow/not responding"

So 24 hours ago my system was working. Now all the sudden it doesn't seem to. And i've no clue whats even going on. Was there some windows update I wasn't aware of that's screwing up PC's? If the hard drive was failing would windows know and tell me? Not sure where else to ask as i'm not...
  17. T

futureproofing house wiring... CAT8 or..?

From my own perusal of networking stuff i'm looking at whats on the direct horizon but since people here are pretty cutting edge they might know things beyond my random reading. :) I'm considering wiring up a couple houses for Ethernet. I hate wifi and if I do it, i'd rather not do it more...
  18. T

SSD - value over lifetime 'total writes'? (ie scratch drive/extending lifespan of consumer ssd?)

I know alot of people with consumer SSD's are unlikely to use their SSD's to death - they will be obsolete in a few years before needing to be replaced. I know enterprise drives are much more optimized for lifespan under use, i'm not sure how much (10x? 50x?) but something must reflect their...
  19. T

faster/fastest 2.5" portables in 1-5tb?

I was curious about the current crop of say the Seagate Barracudas where shingled writing has trickled down to laptop sized drives, but allegedly sustains 130MB/second rates. (though this seems to contradict what i've read elsewhere about shingled drives dropping to 30MB, and then low single...
  20. T

is 'data recovery' from a USB stick gone silent possible?

Self explanatory... technically these are solid state drives arent they? If I have a USB stick that one day had files and tomorrow no longer shows up... is there ANYTHING that can possibly be done?? Yes i've plugged it into a multitude of other systems. It went quiet in less than a year...