Search results

1. U

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3975WX 32-Core Review

sorry, English is not my native - i wrote 7fx2 is more expensive, and i wonder why so much :)
  2. U

AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 3975WX 32-Core Review

while i agree that TR Pro and Epyc should be merged, why price difference is so high? for example 3955WX list price is $1,149. if we compare it with Epyc 7Fx2 series because of similar CPU Clock, Epyc 7Fx2 is more more expensive.. and could we get also single thread performance comparison too?
  3. U

What Epyc hardware equals Threadripper 2 Generation?

it depends on how much Cores do you want and for what purpose - less cores but higher single core performance or much more cores but no that fast each one.. so, what will be your use-case for a planned server?
  4. U

Thoughts on building a silent home storage and virtualization hot swap tower server

i think you should stay on Supermicro to avoid compatibility problems.. if you wanna bigger fans, then look at 747 series too. i have one CSE-743TQ-865B-SQ, but modded middle fan wall a bit and placed 3 120mm Noctua industrial fans. since i have not a very big load all the time, i removed rear...
  5. U

EU FS: (1.5.2021 NEW STUFF ADDED) 16GB & 32GB 2666 & 3200MHz DDR4 RDIMMs & DCPMMs, Intel Xeon LGA2011-3 & LGA3647 CPUs, Supermicro motherboards

I would like to thank @tesla100 for well packaged RAM, finally deployed it and works as expected. Free bump :)
  6. U

SuperMicro fans won't stop revving

this computer is not with me now, but i think it's a NF-F12 PMW.
  7. U

SuperMicro fans won't stop revving

it depends on SM motherboard used. newer generations have a special feature for that: Low-noise fan speed control Last time i see something similar on my old X9SCM-iiF with Noctua Fans - you can set lower thres for zero, but this don't help at all - board thinks that fan is dead, and ramp up all...
  8. U

EU [WTB] 2 port Mellanox Connectx-3 for 10GbE

Ok, just ordered one from serverschmiede.com Thanks
  9. U

EU [WTB] 2 port Mellanox Connectx-3 for 10GbE

I'm currently running 2 port Mellanox Connectx-2 for 10Gb Ethernet with active DACs and it works just fine. My plans is upgrade to 2 port Connectx-3 10GbE card for SR-IOV support, AND i'm planning to use the same DACs. would it be possible? I'm located in EU, Latvia, prefer Paypal for...
  10. U

Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F RAM speed - help

so, use E5-2650 and up to unlock 1866Mhz :)
  11. U

Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F RAM speed - help

your cpu is only capable max @1600Mhz https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75789/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2620-v2-15m-cache-2-10-ghz.html
  12. U

Supermicro have it in their arsenal now - AOC-SLG4-4E4T

looks like that. and you need some brake-out cable to connect 4 nvme.. but which ones? https://store.supermicro.com/cable/sas-sata.html/slimline-sas.html
  13. U

Firewall options for 1 Gbps VPN throughput

another option from Mikrotik will be MikroTik RB4011iGS+RM it depend of your packet size to achieve 1Gb/s or not trough VPN.. i have this device, but have not tested VPN for that speed. for me it works with Gigabit internet just fine. and don't compare it with Mikrotik Wifi - if you need wifi...
  14. U

High capacity, energy efficient, performant NAS build options?

Thanks, missed that. but for me it depends. for my use-case i'm not wanting all ports together, but prefer building more but smaller disk arrays with each for it own controller on pass trough on different VMs. with H12SSL-C you should pass even builtin SATA controller(never did that, but will do...
  15. U

Does new processors always have been only accessible for OEM ?

i think, you just need to wait. OEMs always comes first :)
  16. U

if you need with 10GBe, then choose H12SSL-CT | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc. it comes with more familiar SAS3 connectors.
  17. U

Or would you mind AMD route? if you need additional PCIe lanes/slots, then i would suggest this route. i built on H12SSL-C with Epyc 7282 recently and it works very well. BUT, no SFP+ built-in, you can add add-in card for it(i'm did that for my system). BUT you get 128 PCIe gen 4 lanes with 7...
  18. U

ASRock Rack ROME8D-2T no post "00" with naples 7551p

hmm, specs says clearly: Single Socket SP3 supports AMD EPYC™ 7003 and 7002 series Processors You have 7001 series..
  19. U

Quick question about LSI 9206-16e

What a motherboard do you have? i never seen one with 2 controllers. don't mismatch with two ports..