Search results

1. W

HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

Give the pfsense VM a vNIC and the passthrough NIC, and then see what happens. What you want to verify is: a) Whether the passthrough worked or not b) Whether the passthrough NIC was recognized by the OS and the drivers loaded correctly c) Whether pfsense presented the passthrough NICs to the UI.
  2. W

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Well, we are in the midst of a global hardware shortage so supplies are tight. They went from 100 to 150 to 250 seemingly at the blink of an eye. That being said, there are similar t640 models on CDW (US) that are less than 300. This one comes with seemingly more RAM, more NVMe eMMC and a...
  3. W

The RX427BB doesn’t really do SRIOV - well, it does and it doesn’t. It can do it in Linux (not VMWare ESXi) but since it doesn’t do PCIe ACS (access control services) and ARI (alternative routing-ID interpretation) it can only present up to 7 virtual functions and does so in a rather unsafe...
  4. W

No - it’s defined as the millions of times per second your CPU can be spent doing absolutely nothing - as far as I know BogoMIPS is just there to calibrate the timing for polled I/O in certain device drivers. As a CPU perf indicator? Completely meaningless. And yes, the RX427BB is closer in...
  5. W

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Well, from what I read you are copying between 2 external HDDs, so you are dealing with platter seek/access times off a pair of spinners. Usually if you are writing from SSD to disk seek and random access times don’t matter since it’s solid state - the SSD is usually waiting for the disk to...
  6. W

No - there's significant overhead in USB3, there's random seek/read/write times (which impacts hard drives even more with lots of small files), and the throughput is different between 2.5" USB3 and 3.5" USB3 HDDs even if they are 7200 rpm (usually favors big drives). From my experience a USB3...
  7. W

New Forum Category idea ?

ServeTheHomefromHome (STHFH)? *ugh* - the 2021/2022 microchip shortage is gonna make it difficult to source power efficient stuff for home lab use like the Ryzen Embedded V2000s...or push up demands for TinyMiniMicro machines for building out virt nodes...
  8. W

Checkpoint Firewalls - *grrrrr*

Yeah, I obtained a 4400 from work, and it's been...challenging. My beef with the Checkpoint has always been that: a) It doesn't seem to use any standard open source/well established firewall tech underneath, and its methodology and practices are very much proprietary. For example, how does the...
  9. W

EXPIRED US - Lenovo m75n Nano, 200 USD (CDW Outlet)

ooooh. So you did buy it!
  10. W

NEW HP T640 Thin Client Ryzen R1505G 4GB 16GF - NO KB/MOUSE, NO OS INSTALLED - $109

Well, the t740 does have a Vega 8 with more CUs versus the t640 with the Vega 3, so that can explain the capability discrepancy. I don't have any 4k120 devices to test with (both at work and at home), so sorry can't be much assistance there.
  11. W

"An opportunity not to be missed!" - well, you did miss out on the fun of the 120 dollar t640 thin client, which is arguably a better (but bigger) machine. Oh yeah, the machine is gone already - although if you did end up buying it, you might want to get the CDW rep to cancel the order...the...
  12. W

So yeah, looks like someone threw a Lenovo m75n Nano onto CDW's outlet site. Athlon Silver 3050e (25% slower than the Ryzen R1505 in the t640 thin client), 8GB RAM (soldered), 256GB SSD (most likely M2 NVMe), 1 NIC with Win10 IoT. it's tiny little machine that uses lenovo's "yellow USB port"...
  13. W

Well, the eMMC doesn’t store like a level0 bootloader for the hardware in question, so nothing of real consequence happens if it fails. Of course, I can’t remember if you can specify disabling/turning off the eMMC in the BIOS or deselect it from the boot process, or if it always try eMMC first...
  14. W

Checkpoint Firewalls - *grrrrr*

So, just out of counting hands - how many of us supports Checkpoint firewall/network appliances at $dayjob, and how many of us actually enjoy / trust using them? I don't have a very high opinion of them. Does anyone share my sentiments?
  15. W

Some Infineon/AMD embedded security processor thing. Device manager didn’t give too much details but the PCI ID is 1022:15df, subID is 8523:103c.
  16. W

Introduction to the HP t740 Thin client - the little box that could but better

It’s the Symmetry 100-438279 - usually not sold standalone at a reasonable price (quoted at 280) - it’s honestly not even that good of a card to be worth the ask - it’s based on the GCN4/Alexa while the Radeon Vegas in the Raven Ridges are GCN5 based, but any 1 slot GT1030 that fits in the...
  17. W

Can't get SFN7002F vf working under Proxmox VE 6.2

ooof, I hear ya. Does sfupdate -c at least clear some of the ridiculousness? At this stage it sounds like the card might be acting up - I would assume that you swapped DAC cables/fibers+SFPs just to be on the safe side? As for later Solarflare...not really. Solarflare changed their licensing...
  18. W

No worries - That's fine with not using the dkms drivers - in fact, I use the stock drivers myself. Of course, I don't actively use the SFN7322F at the moment. Why yes, you can backup the firmware on a good card and then force write it to a suspected bad card - sfupdate has a backup, write...
  19. W

Hm...Same cards, or different cards? Also, are the cards standard/generic, or are they OEM versions of the cards? Which Debian distribution?
  20. W

EU ADi-SA2X-BE (HP T730 equivalent) £55.99

How noisy is it?