Search results

1. C

New Fujitsu D3348-B23 Motherboard (LGA2011-3), $200 OBO ($140 accepted), Ebay

Win-raid forums has. BIOSes for many of the popular X99 boards already patched. I'd check there
  2. C

WTB: >1TB SATA SSD for under $100

I stay away from those listings as if anything goes wrong, some sellers don't refund shipping costs
  3. C

New/Bulk Packaged Samsung 983 960GB (U.2) $85 @ eBay

Haha more RAM is always the solution to our problems :D I recently upgraded from multi-SATA SDD raid0 array to NVME as well and haven't noticed a huge speed up either, definitely nothing like when going from HDD to SSD back in the early days (Intel X25-M anyone?). Don't get me wrong, what...
  4. C

Thanks guys, I think another factor is economy of scale as U.2 is still "relatively" new compared to something like say SAS (with all the fan out cables) and most deployments are backplane based, therefore cables are probably very low demand therefore higher cost. I think my 2 u.2 ports onboard...
  5. C

question that's always been in my mind about U.2 cables - why is it that U.2 drives seems to need to tap external SATA power? Does it exceed the power provided by the M.2 slot? I have 2 U.2 ports on my board but cables all seem to be $20-30 each
  6. C

I have too many Precisions and too little time

I guess for laptop since it's copper heatplate/pipe on direct silicon die it's less of an issue? Most of my research has been around desktop types of applications and it does corrode aluminum heatsink base and IHS easily, literally eating through them
  7. C

I have too many Precisions and too little time

that's an awesome result for liquid metal - curious though, what do you do to deal with the corrosion of aluminum it brings?
  8. C

Are Supermicro X9 IPMI firmware universal across all X9 systems?

Excellent question and I'm curious to the answer as well
  9. C

Two PCIe SSDs (3.2TB & 1.6TB)

What's the performance like on these PCI-e 8x drives? I'm having a hard time finding reviews
  10. C

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

HwInfo64, monitor all your temps
  11. C

{Solved] Supermicro X8DTE-F IPMI sensor issues

Yes that's exactly what's required of the new firmware, like BIOS updates, sometimes you have to reset after the update for the settings to take place
  12. C

Case Recommendations? Lots of 3.5 / 2.5 bays

well said, I think I went down that rabbit hole initially with some case choices because they "offered" expandability but buying cages etc for them ended up evening out vs. a 24 bay Norco/SM case used here in US. Anyways, I realized I don't have enough content to require more than a 8-10 drive...
  13. C

{Solved] Supermicro X8DTE-F IPMI sensor issues

@cpandrew I sadly cleaned the file way back and can't find it, maybe one of the others @SIlviu can provide. Another option is to reach out to SM support directly, they are very friendly and willing to help outside of warranty
  14. C

Case Recommendations? Lots of 3.5 / 2.5 bays

I was in similar situation before as well and did a lot of research on this topic, one thing that isn't clear to me is what is your definition of "lots of 3.5 in drives"? As others have posted, ANTEC 900s and 1200s will hold 9-12 drives without modification. non-hotswap 5x3.5 bays are cheap on...
  15. C

Have you jumped onto the 30x0 rtx bandwagon too?

I'll be looking at 2070s once stock stabilize and AMD NAVI comes out so prices come down some. I don't do enough gaming anymore and run 1440p screens so 30xx is overkill for me
  16. C

Perc 6/I upgrade *ADDED PICS*

Yep worth a try, but the backplanes in this case using 4 lane cables are "expanders" vs ones with individual dumb passthrough ports (Supermicro 840TQ). Good luck!
  17. C

New Fujitsu D3348-B23 Motherboard (LGA2011-3), $200 OBO ($140 accepted), Ebay

Most folks are playing with Xeon V4s on this board but another option Xeon V3s are cheaper and can be "all core turbo" unlocked via a BIOS microcode mod, sort of a multithread overclock
  18. C

Perc 6/I upgrade *ADDED PICS*

Yes as they are all "4 lane cables", so something like this should work: NEW SFF-8484 36-Pin to Mini SAS SFF-8087 32-Pin Cable Adapter 0.6m HDD Array 734135662351 | eBay However, there's been lots of issues with older backplanes supporting larger sized drives so I'd do more research first