Search results

1. K

Workstation Xeon W (Ice Lake variant).

Sounds good! This looks like Intel may be competitive up to AMD TR PRO 3975WX which would be great. As always the question will be price...
  2. K

3.7GHz on all 32 cores? Wow! But, well, if turbo is 4.0GHz only, then there is only 300MHz difference between max single-thread perf and max multi-thread perf and that in the same power envelope. I'm curious what is IceLake holding back to not be able to turbo much higher on 1 core when 32 cores...
  3. K

twitter use @hxl uploaded workstation cpus presentation: Second slide claims that maximum frequency will be 4.0 GHz which is +300MHz higher than top-class server chips now. This may make sense to upgrade W-32xx line of chips which ends on 4.4 GHz, but probably is out of luck with W-22xx which...
  4. K

Wow! Indeed, they removed it. It was probably slashdotted by Tomshardware article: Intel Xeon W-3335 'Ice Lake-SP' Benchmarked -- and since this is probably still under some form of NDA, they removed it. Read tomshardware for benchmark results notes.
  5. K

Looks like Intel is preparing also workstation Xeon W-33xx variant of Ice Lake Xeons. Puget Systems does have W-3335 in their benchmark database from yesterday: https://www.pugetsystems.com/benchmarks/?age=30&benchmark=&application=&specs=W-3335#results-table This is indeed interesting move...
  6. K

Ice Lake - SP boards.

Looks like Supermicro, ASrock, Gigabyte and others come with a set of quite nice boards for Ice Lake SP. It's interesting that for such -- by analysts envisioned -- short live product such companies invest that much. I also think that both Rocket Lake and Ice Lake SP are just stop gap solutions...
  7. K

Future Xeons: up to 20 cores up to 150W

First of all, this is a new HPC-COM standard, so board is with connectors to carrier board. Pictures here: Embedded Computing | Kontron Embedded Computers Anyway, I think you may be completely right that this is for next gen communication Xeon (D-xxxx). I have not thought about that. I was...
  8. K

Future Xeons: up to 20 cores up to 150W

Looks like various documents about a new COM-HPC standard are already published and for example Kontron seems to prepare server kind board 160x160mm in the standard and specs. published is: Size D form factor – 160 x 160 mm Nextgen Intel® Xeon® U p to 20 cores, processor TDP up to 120 W...
  9. K

Zen3 or Rocketlake?

If your workload is AVX512 enabled and really using it, then go with Rocket, otherwise go with Zen3. E.g. although AVX512 power consumption on Rocket attacks 300W it still is able to very much wipe the floor with Zen3 and if counted, then is also very power efficient for the performance...
  10. K

SuperMicro X9 E3 boards - December 31, 2020 BIOS bug

Sorry to be picky about it, but Helsinki is the capital of Finland. Also the psychological phenomenon is not known as Helsinki Syndrome, but Stockholm Syndrome and indeed Stockholm is the capital of Sweden. Interesting reading about it is on wikipedia: Stockholm syndrome - Wikipedia
  11. K

Ryzen w/ DDR4 Ecc unbuffered

If you'd like to have ECC RAM support for sure like for example in Intel's Xeon domain, then I would recommend to go epyc route. For small NAS it may be epyc 3000 and you may be happy. Or, you may aswell use some ryzen embedded/industrial board from trusted manufacturer if you have any. But...
  12. K

best heatsink (4U) for 2xEpyc 280W

Indeed, looks like I've pretty badly read original question. Thanks for correction!
  13. K

Fanless Xeon-W build.

I added a paragraph about temps and throttling to original post.
  14. K

best heatsink (4U) for 2xEpyc 280W

Well, Noctua claims compatibility of NH-U14S TR4-SP3 with TR 3960x/3970x which are both 280W TDP CPUs so you may give it a try...
  15. K

Dual AMD EPYC 7742 workstation build

Fans are fans, but what about pump noise? Isn't it quite noticeable too? Thanks!
  16. K

Fanless Xeon-W build.

Indeed, forgotten that, so now I've added "why not fans" paragraph to my original topic. Please read the info there.
  17. K

Fanless Xeon-W build.

Hello, after months of thinking I've decided in Jan/Feb this year (2020) to rebuild my workstation around Xeon W chip. The motivation for this was: - modest multi-threaded needs. - spike single-threaded needs. E.g. as fast as possible ST perf. for short amount of time. - quite high RAM needs...
  18. K

AMD V1000 with PCIE x8

Another is Kontron V1000 board -- for barebone, you will need some case, but they also sell it. Page not found
  19. K

CPU comparison - old vs new

Also to be fair with AMD: 2x 2650v4 -> 1x epyc 7401p (old/naples)/ 1x epyc 7302p (new/rome).
  20. K

CPU comparison - old vs new

My bet: 1x 1620v1 -> 1x W-2225 2x 2650v4 -> 1x W-2295 In first case you will get higher perf, in second it depends but perhaps the same or higher. BTW, have not thrown ryzen 3xxx into mix, since both your CPUs supports RDIMM while ryzen doesn't.