Search results

1. W

EXPIRED US - Lenovo m75n Nano, 200 USD (CDW Outlet)

So yeah, looks like someone threw a Lenovo m75n Nano onto CDW's outlet site. Athlon Silver 3050e (25% slower than the Ryzen R1505 in the t640 thin client), 8GB RAM (soldered), 256GB SSD (most likely M2 NVMe), 1 NIC with Win10 IoT. it's tiny little machine that uses lenovo's "yellow USB port"...
  2. W

Checkpoint Firewalls - *grrrrr*

So, just out of counting hands - how many of us supports Checkpoint firewall/network appliances at $dayjob, and how many of us actually enjoy / trust using them? I don't have a very high opinion of them. Does anyone share my sentiments?
  3. W

Checkpoint OS installer thumb drive without Isomorphic?

Quick stupid question - I am trying to resurrect an old Checkpoint 4400/T120 firewall in the office - one that seem to have been neglected (OS dating back to E75.40?) - so it's pretty obvious that I am not a current Checkpoint licensee (and considering that the hardware is EOL at the end of...
  4. W

So, who wants an X-Box One home server?

Hm...So yeah, looks like Anandtech was able to get their hands on an obscure little box from the AsiaPac market that seems to correspond quite well to the X-Box One Durango. The writeup was...interesting. Although my guess is that on the CPU end, the R1505G from a t640 thin client will whomp...
  5. W

(US) Mysterious Supermicro Xeon-D Server is mysterious (690 USD)

So, who wants to speculate on which model currently listed on CDW outlet just so happened to be? My guess...SuperServer E300 or E302 9D series?
  6. W

HP's new toy (or your future disposable Ryzen embedded box for 2021/2022)

Well, it looks like HP once again accidentally leaked the spec sheet and the disassembly part-out for their new t540 thin client. This is a fairly interesting beastie as it's meant to be the cheap-but-cheerful (read: no soldered RAM/storage component) version of the t640. One RAM slot instead...
  7. W

HP t420 thin client - penny pincher of marginal serverage

WANg submitted a new resource: HP t420 thin client - next generation automated penny pincher of marginal serverage - You have a 50 dollar bill in your wallet. You can either have a Glenlivet 12 or this... Read more about this resource...
  8. W

Ulysses S. Grant, grant me the strength to steamroll bracteates and annoy @Patrick at the same time! (the ultra-cheapskate server challenge)

I was doing some writing over the weekend (well, it's an upcoming article related to the ongoing TinyMiniMicro project thread), and while musing about the utility of running server tasks on those tiny little cheap machines, my wife pointed to my pile of unused Raspberry Pi Zeros, Pi 2s and...
  9. W

(US) CDW Outlet: Lenovo ThinkSystem ST250 (7Y46A00TNA) B-Stock machine - 425 USD

Well, for those of you looking for a relatively cheap 4 (or 8 bay) machine to setup a NAS, CDW outlet is offering the Lenovo ThinkSystem ST250 tower/4U server for 425 USD (normal pricing is quoted at around 900 USD). The specs are okay, it's a Xeon-E 2124 (should be socketed?), 4 PCIe slots, 2...
  10. W

HPe Edgeline EL1000 chassis - any experiences with one?

Does anyone here have any first-hand experience with the chassis, and how it fits in for a home lab? I am looking for environmental data (power consumption, heat generation and noise). Someone made me an offer for one and I am not sure if I want to take it. The EL1000 takes HPe Moonshot m710...
  11. W

Of Cheap(er) Meats, Small Apartments and microservers...

Okay, so this is a bit of a slightly off-topic article, meant as a counterpoint to the article @Patrick wrote comparing barbecues to virtualizaton. A few good points, to be sure. But some of us are really "serving the home", and when your home is a small condo or co-op instead of a house with...
  12. W

Repairing a USB-PD to MagSafe 2 adapter...

So this is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine - I have a USB-C to MagSafe-2 injector that I use expressly for the purpose of having the best of both worlds - ability to use a cheap USB-PD power brick, and the relatively idiot-resistant MagSafe 2 port on my MacBook Air 11 (possibly one of the...
  13. W

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Heads-up - CDW stateside is selling a Wyse 5070 thin client for only 90 bucks. Looks like Celeron J4105 (Gemini Lake/Goldmont cores), 4GB DDR4, and 16GB eMMC. Probably a good alternative for an in-home HTPC or a small witness server - the GPU specs are in line with Kaby Lake for Quicksync...
  14. W

Teaching your router to fight off Nazis, the Strogg and the most ruthless bloodthirsty warriors in the galaxy...

Or...what to do with obsolete hardware for fun. So one of those things that every IT guy seem to have...is a shelf full of obsolete hardware that you really can't do much on, and it gives you pause to toss it out. Take, for instance, this iSiS Imagestream TransPort router...which is an OEM...
  15. W

Introduction to the HP t640 Thin client - your cheap little AMD NUC7 alternative

WANg submitted a new resource: Introduction to the HP t640 Thin client - your cheap little AMD NUC7 alternative - Why buy a used corporate NUC for 400 dollars when you can get a similar performing AMD one for less? Read more about this resource...
  16. W

Mellanox OFED drives not working correctly in ESXi 6.0U3 Patch 22?

Folks - Does anyone here use Mellanox ConnectX3 cards with ESXi 6.0 U3 Patch 22 or above? I installed OFED v2.4 (the latest version available for this card and can support SRIOV), removed the native drivers (nmlx4_core, nmxl4_en and nmxl4_rdma), and for some reason the cards are not showing up...
  17. W

Is an Intel NUC still relevant in 2020 for homelabbers?

Just out of curiosity, how many of us are still buying/running NUCs? If so, why? (I mean, besides their small footprint and low power draw...)
  18. W

Introduction to the HP t740 Thin client - the little box that could but better

WANg submitted a new resource: Introduction to the HP t740 Thin client - the little box that could do it better - Your short and succint guide to the HP t740 thin client Read more about this resource...
  19. W

HP t740 Thin Client as an HP Microserver Gen7 Upgrade (finally!)

Okay, folks - just a quick FYI - I was able to land a refurbished hp t740 thin client from eBay at a fairly substantial discount from quoted pricing (and as such, my existing order from my usual channel partner has been cancelled). Downsides? - It only comes with 8GB of DDR4 (to be upgraded to...
  20. W

The QNAP TVS-473e (or what I wished the HP Microserver G10 would be)

So yeah, just saw the QNAP TVS-473e at B&H Photo & Video's megastore in Midtown Manhattan - Almost the same CPU as the HP t730/DFI DT122E (RX421BD versus RX427BB, so slightly more powerful), quad bays, 2 PCIe slots, and it can do transcoding. BYOD configuration quotes for about 825 or so...