Search results

1. C

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

I think the answer is that it probably will work (since I haven't worn one out). The eMMC does not contain the BIOS or anything else necessary for booting to the M.2. I've used the eMMC alone on one of my 5070s after wiping the whole thing, and an M.2 alone on another 5070.
  2. C

I bought it thru one of Commell's American distributors Global American Inc.: Commell M2-210 M.2(NGFF) Gigabit Ethernet Card - Global American Alibaba NIC There was discussion of the Alibaba NIC & variants for other computers on the STH tinymicrominy thread...
  3. C

I've been running PFSense with the Commell M2-210 (single Intel A/E Key M.2 2230 nic), and the onboard Realtek NIC . I've had absolutely zero problems. I made a 3-D printed adapter for the NIC...
  4. C

Nextcloud + reverse proxy nginx

I've never done what you're talking about, but, have you looked at the admin manual: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_server/reverse_proxy_configuration.html It sounds like you might need to set the nextcloud config.php parameters - trusted_proxies...
  5. C

If you trust CDW Outlet, there's one on there now that says USED/MISSING PARTS! Windows 10 IoT / J5005 / 8GB memory / 64GB drive for $79. https://www.cdw.com/product/dell-wyse-5070-thin-client/6398031
  6. C

Linux on a Lenovo ThinkCentre M920x Tiny

If you want to try a bleeding edge kernel you might try something like: Fedora nightly compose finder I only know the Fedora one, but there's probably the equivalent for other dists. I had a similar problem with a box that wasn't compatible with kernels from about 5.6 to 5.8. The workaround was...
  7. C

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

I thought I'd reply to this since no one has offered any ideas. Keep in mind this is completely untested. You can get an HP 230W 19.5V 11.8A AC->DC power adapter (brick format) on ebay (about $20). These were made for larger laptops and I think they're compatible with the HP elitebook power...
  8. C

Hardware suggestions for a home server setup

Nextcloud is by no means targeted as a lightweight cloud solution. I ran it as a drop-box on a raspberry pi 3 and it was slightly painful. I suspect you will be much happier with a little more power than the pi 4. Something with a proper SATA hardware instead of going over USB would probably be...
  9. C

A suggested solution to this was to get a fitting motherboard standoff and grind it down to about 4mm height to create your own standoff. Dell sells the m.2 sata+standoff separately.
  10. C

I saw that 1.8.0 says that it supports "new generation" memory. Maybe try that. Bios
  11. C

I went through one of their NA distributors - Global American Inc.: https://globalamericaninc.com/product/commell-m2-210/ I got the quote immediately, but waited about a month for the IOCrest Realtek NIC. It was $44 for one, shipping extra.
  12. C

I got the Commell M2-210 and made an adapter out of plastic, so it's up a running in the aux. port location. And the lid even closes.
  13. C

If you're on Linux you can install BIOS updates via 'fwupd'. A summary page is here is as good as any: fwupd - ArchWiki I've never had a system that got BIOS updates delivered in that way, and I suspect many of us are running headless and would not see it otherwise. It seems quite nice. It...
  14. C

Thanks for replying. That's an interesting setup. It's good to see another card working. Would you happen to know what the BIOS says on the M.2 slot entry in the information section? Your link to the other item didn't make it thru intact.
  15. C

My quest to add a second ethernet to a slim model has been somewhat trying. I got this M.2. A/E-key Ethernet card about a week ago: IOCREST 22x30mm M.2 A Key and E Key to 1 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet NIC Network Card but it was not recognized by the BIOS or OS. Of course, it might...
  16. C

[WTB][US-FL] Cheap washed up NVME SSDs

There are a lot of NVME M.2 to Pcie adapters on eBay for cheap. Imports from China. The low end ones have next to nothing between the pcie slot and the m.2 slot, and I wouldn't recommend the except that you seem to want errors - less then $3. Convoluted vertical mounts, no way to tie down the...
  17. C

I agree. I meant from Dell - I haven't seen less than 4GB. I was talking about the 16GB or 32GB built-in emmc (not an M.2 SATA SSD). It's read speed is about 275MB/s vs. ~500+ MB/s for a typical SSD.
  18. C

OK, I'll give it a shot. A used "slim" one is nominally 1.5x to 2.5x as expensive as pi with a case and PSU. Maybe at some point, large companies start to blow them out, but that doesn't appear to be happening yet. It doesn't have the same user group support, but than again, it's much closer to...
  19. C

Says 5.1 on the Wiki - as long as you jump over some of those middle ~5.5 ones, I think you're fine (or probably if you disable the video driver or not include it). You could tell... uname -r. I did get Fedora 32 Workstation Live running off a USB stick and also installed fine on the emmc.
  20. C

1. Linux kernels between 5.4? and 5.6? seems to have on Gemini Lake processors. I tried to boot: - Fedora 32 Workstation Live (rev. 6). - ubuntu-20.04-live-server They boot, but quick reach a blank screen after the kernel starts. This seems to be because of the i915 driver, which seems...