Search results

1. J

HPE Epyc 7002 Upgrade Kits vendor locked or not?

Good evening, I am currently shopping for an Epyc 7002 series CPU and saw that some of the HPE upgrade kits end up being a bit more affordable than plain Epyc CPUs but I (very vaguely) remember some vendors vendor locking the Epyc CPUs one way or another. Does anyone know whether that's the...
  2. J

Intel DC P4510 SSDs good for a home VM / Nas System?

I am currently contemplating replacing an aging Synology NAS with a new system and while the NAS / Storage parts will mostly be run with HDDs, I also want to run 2 or 3 lightweight VMs on the system and looking for reliable SSDs to go with it. I can get my hands on a few 1TB Intel DC P4510 SSDs...
  3. J

Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

And just 5 minutes later I stumble upon this: HOME LAB PART 5: The Ultimate Small Form Factor Server for Home Lab .. someone used the X11SDV 3d model some else here made as a starting point to make his own models for a Noctua Cooler adapter for the SP4r2 Socket. Contemplating if it might be...
  4. J

Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

Has anyone found a good solution for this? I am also looking at either the ASRock Rack EPYC3251D4I-2T or EPYC3451D4I2-2T but obviously want to have it cooled properly. I've contacted Supermicro and asked if they (still/ever?) sell the cooler+fan combo they put on their M11SDV-8C+-LN4F...
  5. J

[WTB][US-MD] 4x 16GB or 4x32GB DDR4 2666Mhz ECC UDIMMs

Much appreciated, I'll keep that in mind if I haven't gotten any elsewhere. Thanks!
  6. J

[WTB][US-MD] 4x 16GB or 4x32GB DDR4 2666Mhz ECC UDIMMs

I am looking for either four (4) 16GB or 4 x 32GB DDR4 ECC ram modules that are preferably on the motherboard's QVL list so Samsung M391A4G43MB1 / M391A2K43DB1 or Kingston KSM26ED8. I'd prefer local (Baltimore/Washington Area) but certainly also open to have them shipped here. If anyone has a...
  7. J

WTB-US(-E): Motherboard with Xeon D-1541, D-1587 or D-2146NT / D-2183IT

Yep I have.. contemplating a bit about the price / do I really 'need' it (see above)... and got in touch already. Thanks for the hint though! I am leaning a bit more towards D-1587 / D-1541 ones just given that they seem to be a tad more affordable etc...
  8. J

WTB-US(-E): Motherboard with Xeon D-1541, D-1587 or D-2146NT / D-2183IT

Hey there, I am currently looking to get a new home NAS together with the potential to run a very few, lightweight VMs on it as well. I am currently ping-ponging a bit back and forth between what I want and what I need (a xeon-d 1541 would probably/realistically be good enough) but if someone...
  9. J

FS: 1x Intel X710-DA2

Price drop to $100 before it goes up on eBay -.-
  10. J

FS: 1x Intel X710-DA2

This is somewhat of a repost of my post on reddit but maybe somebody here wants the nic before I put it up on eBay. It's a X710-DA2 with full height bracket with latest FW applied which was just pulled out of my system yesterday (hence the timestamp from yesterday / my username on reddit sans...
  11. J

WTB: Intel X550-T2 or X710-T2L Nic

I got a good deal on a X710-TL2 and went with that.. but thanks for the offer - much appreciated!
  12. J

WTB: Intel X550-T2 or X710-T2L Nic

Hi there, I am looking to buy an authentic Intel/Dell/Lenovo X550-T2 or X710-T2L network card.. well buy or trade for my X710-DA2. Let me know if you have one of those and want to let go (& for how much shipped to 21211 Baltimore, MD, USA). Cheers and thanks! -Joerg
  13. J

US: WTB some 10g NICS (SFP+) & cables

I have an Intel X710-DA2 to let go as I am actually looking for a X550-T2 myself. Let me know if interested!
  14. J

Suggestions for Soho Firewall with Dual Wan (1x SFP+ and 1xRJ45) Support

Well no.. not one 3gbps link. I have two links coming in as mentioned so whether I do fail over or some sort of link aggregation / load balancing is another thing / I have no final / plan yet .. their statement simply sounds like the device had a total routing capacity of 2.5gbps no matter what...
  15. J

Yeah I specifically told them I'd only want basic functionality like that & no qos/ids etc but their 'official' response was The XG-7100 is an 'entry' level device into the SFP+ market, in testing we have seen around 2.5 Gbps of routing out of the device. .. sooo that would leave some...
  16. J

I asked Netgate and the XG-7100 unfortunately is not rated /intended for that speed and they recommended the xg-1537.. or so.. which comes in at a chill est $2000.. soooo not sure about that. I could get a supermicro appliance for less than half with the same or better hw specs.. so I am a bit...
  17. J

We are (probably.. process still ongoing) getting one of Comcast's Gigabit Pro fibre based services installed here which hand over the connection via one SFP+ port for 2gbps up and down and a separate 1gbps up and down via a regular RJ45 port. Their 'customer end device' is a Juniper ACX2100...
  18. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Cheers, great to hear - thanks!
  19. J

ES Xeon Discussion

Has anyone any positive or negative experience with the seller 'hwtrade-e' or 'globalkinginc' (which appears to have at least one other account named 'globalkingisbest' - inquired with the former, got a reply with a link to the later) on eBay? I've been browsing around the v3 / v4 QS CPUs and...