Search results

1. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Sure, Enjoy! 120mm Fan Adapter for Brocade ICX6450 by smbaker
  2. S

I got tired of hearing the fans (yes I've already replaced them with quieter ones) occasionally spin up, so I brute-forced a solution: The fan is whatever came from my junk box. A 120mm noctua is on order. I did not disable the fans inside the chassis -- I probably should, but I did not want...
  3. S

You can still PWM a 3-pin fan, you just use a transistor to drive the power (or the ground) pin. A little tricky to read the tachometer, but there's a solution for that too -- you pulse stretch the PWM every so often long enough to take a tach reading from it. Has anyone put an oscilloscope on...
  4. S

If you ever come across a way to program the PWM values to something other than the preset "low" and "high", that would be handy to know. I'd love for my low speed to be a little faster. Not much... just a little.
  5. S

Connecting 10gb - choosing cable and modules question

My understanding is that the copper modules run hot and consume additional power. I went with a new fiber run rather than trying to use my copper. I found preterminated fiber to be pretty easy to work with. It's quite flexible and the connectors are reasonably small. There are some affordable...
  6. S

That's what I started out doing on my 6450-24P. One port at a time I turned on PoE and plugged in a Raspberry Pi with the PoE hat and verified it had power and connectivity. After the first bank of 12 ports, I tired of the pace and just went every 3rd or 4th port or so. It was probably overkill...
  7. S

Mellanox ConntectX-3 not detected

I did a little bit of surgery on the pcboard of a ConnectX-3 to get it to fit into a custom case, and now I can't detect the board. I pulled a real dumbass move, forgetting to check to see if the card was DOA before hacking on it. While it is a multilayer board, the only thing I see in the...
  8. S

An insane idea for temperature control

Many mini splits have inverter-driven variable speed compressors. Rather than cycling the whole unit on and off. they can slow the compressor and deliver reduced cooling.
  9. S

The painter's tape experiment has concluded: SSH@ICX6450-24P-Router#dm fan-speed All fans in High speed (0xff) I think this is PWM, on a 0-255 scale, or it's something being fed into an 8-bit DAC to drive the fan voltage, whatever. 0x83 = about half, 0xFF = wide open. Mystery solved, though I...
  10. S

It could be 0-255, that might make sense. I could go stick a piece of painter's tape over the fan outlets, let the unit warm up a bit, and see if the values change.
  11. S

Thanks, I tried that though I'm not sure if the answer is useful: SSH@ICX6450-24P-Router#dm fan-speed All fans in Low speed (0x83) Not sure if 0x83 is the sensed RPM, the output PWM, or something else. Will be interesting to check it if/when it revs up to speed 2.
  12. S

My ICX6450-24P with Sunon fan mod is sitting at 56.5 degrees on Sensor B and 60.5 degrees on Sensor A. Currently running at fan speed 1. This is with four PoE cams, a PoE Access point, and a PoE Raspberry pi. About 30 watts of PoE total. Plus about a dozen ports of regular Ethernet. This is...
  13. S

Thanks again to fohdeesha for this thread. I was all prepared to spend around $350 on a new Mikrotik and instead I have this wonderful ICX6450-24P for just under two hundred bucks. Following the guide and licensing went without issue. I installed a couple digikey 259-1633-ND in place of the...
  14. S

Synology DS1019+. If I'd have spent a hundred bucks more and bought the DXS1618+ instead, it would have come with a PCIE slot and I could have thrown a 10G NIC in it, but I didn't... Live and learn. Running RAID6 on five WD RED NAS drives. Also has a SSD read cache in it. Using this to serve...
  15. S

Hmm, that's kind of what I was afraid the answer was going to be. I had visions of potentially using some QNA-UC5G1T USB3 5gbpe adapters, but sounds like that's not going to work. Wish that QNAP adapter had an SFP+ instead of copper and was physical at 10gbe even if it could still only sustain...
  16. S

Can an icx6450 do 5gbe with a copper module in the sfp+ slot? Thanks, Scott