Search results

1. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

The C12P's SFP and 'uplink' ports (C1,C2) can certainly be used to wire LAN devices. The RJ45 uplink ports don't provide PoE like ports 1-12 do.
  2. S

FreeNAS virtualized under ESXi

So you can run ESXi as a VM... Learn something new every day!
  3. S

If I understand your question correctly, you're wondering if ESXi can run as a VM under FreeNAS. ESXi is a level 1 hypervisor. It has to run on the "Bare Metal". So, no -- you can't install it as a VM on FreeNAS.
  4. S

I use FreeNAS-based NFS datastores with ESXi v6.5 & v6.7 for VM storage. Here is the code I use in the FreeNAS startup script to 'wake up' these datastores. The various variables (esxiuser, esxihost, and esxidatastore) are defined the the dotted include file (host.config). I'm pretty sure the...
  5. S

I know you can get them on eBay for a reasonable price. I was thinking of listings like this, where the seller is offering an ICX 7150-C12P -- the 1G, not the 10G version -- for $899. That's crazy! You can buy a new one (from Provantage, for example) for $375.
  6. S

And what's interesting is that sellers are listing the 1G models for $600 and more, when you can buy a new one for $375!
  7. S

Good point! I just assumed @Psycho_Robotico owned a used switch purchased from eBay, with no warranty, the same way I got my first C12P.
  8. S

Had the same problem! I suggest a GlobalTek PSU, details available in my earlier post here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/page-193#post-272022
  9. S

AOC-SLG3-2M2 to Bifurcate or not Bifurcate on X9DRi-LN4F+

Yeah, Supermicro has been removing a lot of older EOL systems from their site recently. Drat! I own a system based on the X9DRi-LN4F+ motherboard, plus several other EOL models. You can still download the most recent X9DRi/X9DR3 BIOS (v3.4) by browsing to the 'SuperStorage 6047R-E1R224N'...
  10. S

Brocade RPS16-E 1000W PoE power supply for ICX7450/6610 - Rev "C"

Ha, I can hardly tell any difference between the 'A' and 'C' PSUs. Oh, well -- at least they're the latest'n'greatest!
  11. S

There is a way to search a specific thread: click the 'Search' box and select 'This Thread' from the combobox. Invaluable for digging through the "Brocade Mega Thread"! I'm not a network guru, but I think connecting a single cable between two ports on your switch creates a loop, with attendant...
  12. S

I purchased two ICX-6610's on flea-bay for $140: with $20 shipping and state sales tax, they cost me $175 each. Both came with a pair of 'A' PSUs. I only use one switch -- the other is a spare. Noise isn't a primary concern to me because my home lab is out in my shop. But I do go out there to...
  13. S

I honestly don't know -- all four of my PSUs are the Rev A type. People have posted detailed information in the Brocade mega-thread -- this post for example: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/brocade-icx-series-cheap-powerful-10gbe-40gbe-switching.21107/page-172#post-262048
  14. S

Head's up to those of you looking for the quieter "Rev C" power supplies for your ICX7450/6610 switches. This ebay seller has the Front-to-Rear model available for $119, which is a good price. Details here in the 'Great Deals' forum: Brocade RPS16-E 1000W PoE power supply for ICX7450/6610 - Rev "C"
  15. S

Just purchased two of these quieter -- and therefore highly desirable -- "Rev C" power supplies for my ICX-6610. These are the "Front to Rear" airflow versions. I'd messaged the seller last week to verify they were indeed the "Rev C" versions, and he replied: "How many of the Rev C were you...
  16. S

Thoughts on ESXi 7.0 Boot Drive (Samsung 970 EVO Plus or WD SN750), please? (for my specific use case)

Pretty sure that's still the mantra... but the unstated caveat has always been "unless you know what you're doing, and do it right"!
  17. S

Thoughts on ESXi 7.0 Boot Drive (Samsung 970 EVO Plus or WD SN750), please? (for my specific use case)

@svtkobra7! How are you doing! Haven't talked to you in quite a while. I recently built a new AIO based on a SuperMicro 5028D-TLN4. I used a 512GB Samsung 970 PRO for the ESXi 6.7 boot device/datastore, because: I'm passing the SATA controller through to the FreeNAS VM, so no SSDs for me! It...
  18. S

These switches don't seem to be very picky about transceivers. One of advantage of using 'supported' transceivers, though, would be optical monitoring. I use these cheap $8 Finisar transceivers in my 6610-48P, and they work fine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153850624192
  19. S

Any Supermicro executives on this forum? Need help with a out of warranty board.

Yikes! Did the board ever work? Cause it seems to be dead, now. Did you purchase it recently? If so, return or exchange is your best option from the sound of it.
  20. S

Any Supermicro executives on this forum? Need help with a out of warranty board.

Did you contact SuperMicro tech support? They're very responsive, even for people like me (and you, I assume) without service contracts or account managers. Their email address is: support@supermicro.com I own an X9DRi-F system... what's the problem with yours?