Search results

1. Patrick

Future data center power/cooling?

The more you scale up nodes, the less you need in terms of fabric to tie everything together. Look at Cerebras as an example. There are benefits to scaling out larger nodes. I can tell you, we put 3 nodes in the data center today. They are using 7.2kW. Two have four accelerators each the other...
  2. Patrick

Shaping the sub-forum discussion

Good point. Just maybe report it if you are getting spammed by PMs or something. I mean, on balance I would prefer if we had more job opportunities for STH readers than fewer so a job board here is not a bad thing.
  3. Patrick

[COMPLETE] [NY-SERVICE REQUEST] Fix bent pins in mobo

Moving to the new forum per @Rand__ 's suggestion. Need to get a bit of content there. Glad to hear this worked out.
  4. Patrick

Shaping the sub-forum discussion

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place to post jobs whether they are full/ part-time hires or if they are just for bounties to get something specific done. Here is a thread to start this off with a few areas I would like feedback on: Minimum Post Requirement: STH has many lurkers...
  5. Patrick

Jobs/Hiring Forum?

OK - here we go https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?forums/jobs-small-jobs-and-hiring-posts.51/
  6. Patrick

Jobs/Hiring Forum?

Hey all. Apologies. Trying to get my head above water here. I am 100% OK with a jobs section. Whether that is full-time or just part-time contract work. This may be a chicken-and-egg problem. We have historically not had a section for this because we do not have content. We do not have...
  7. Patrick

Rough Content Plan March 2021

Hey everyone, Family health issues have not subsided. We have more people in the hospital, not less so I am quite backed up right now. The sleep I got last night was in an ER parking lot. Tomorrow is going to be the first piece where I am going to have to pull a swap because something is simply...
  8. Patrick

FS switch Review

@CrashElite - I will look into it. We have had some challenges with a certain company doing an astroturfing campaign on STH in the past. I think they have come around though. @Serverking feedback taken. I am going to do another thread on the rest of the quarter's content planning.
  9. Patrick

A cool ~3 minute video on Mars

I just saw this and thought I would share. NASA video of the Perseverance Mars Rover landing. NASA's Perseverance Mars Rover on Twitter: "Your front-row seat to my Mars landing is here. Watch how we did it. #CountdownToMars https://t.co/Avv13dSVmQ" / Twitter I have no idea why, but I find...
  10. Patrick

A Hardware enthusiast view on the usefulness of open source Firmwares like Coreboot

The same thing happens with the BMC chips themselves. I sometimes ask vendors "why do you use Aspeed over another vendor" and the most common answer is "it works and it is priced competitively." Until either side of that equation changes, everything will continue on as-is.
  11. Patrick

A quick update

Perhaps this is a precursor to the 2021 Q1 letter, but just giving a glimpse of behind-the-scenes. Content Doing content for STH this quarter has been extremely challenging. In Q4 we started seeing companies shift desires to get Cascade Lake/ Rome servers reviewed. These reviews take weeks so...
  12. Patrick

Overview (and maybe deep dive) on processor security technologies?

Let me look into this after the coming launch cycle. I wish this was an idea I had 6 months ago! Great idea.
  13. Patrick

A Hardware enthusiast view on the usefulness of open source Firmwares like Coreboot

@zir_blazer so here is my unpopular take, and it applies to Coreboot, but also the Talos II platform. I wanted IBM Power 9, so I just bought IBM LC621's. They do not have all of the open features of the Talos II, but you power it on, and it works. The same sort of behavior is happening with...
  14. Patrick

Inside the Arista DCS-7060CX-32S 32x 100GbE Switch

These have gone up in price quite a bit. I regret not buying more.
  15. Patrick

Synology Launches Enterprise Hard Drive Line and Starts Vendor Locking

I do think Synology has a long way to go here.
  16. Patrick

Supermicro X7SPE-HF-D525 / X7SPA-HF-D525 Thread

I hate to say it, but I cannot remember 8 years ago overly clearly in what we tested on this board. I think we did, but I apologize. 8 years ago almost seems like a lifetime at this point.
  17. Patrick

Is anyone running MAAS?

I like it, but we use a lot of Ubuntu.
  18. Patrick

Is anyone running MAAS?

I had tried MAAS a few years ago in the lab. Our big challenge is that when you review hardware, sometimes before the release date, driver support was causing nodes not to get adopted properly. If you are buying used on eBay, that is unlikely a concern.
  19. Patrick

Cisco Catalyst Micro Switches

Hit the main site today https://www.servethehome.com/cisco-catalyst-micro-switch-series/