Search results

1. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

That is concerning, thanks for the heads up. V1 was all that was available locally so I went with that. Will see how I go but hopefully can get it returned at worst.
  2. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

I have not been able to find cables that specifically say they support my PCIE 4 drives. So I guess I will just give the ones I posted above a try and see how I go.
  3. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

That is ominous… I have already bought it and plugged the drives in, and I do note that some of them felt weird to push in and I’m not certain they are seated correctly despite a few attempts. I have not powered it on yet. if you are willing to elaborate/explain your comment I’d be very...
  4. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

Thanks for all the suggestions! Using these MCIO ports does seem like the best solution for now. I hope that I can work out a way to access the PCIE slots in future somehow since it is quite a waste to have them blocked, but this is enough for me to proceed in the short term. Yes, I only need...
  5. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

Good observation, thanks! I recall seeing them a while back and since I am not familiar with the connection type, I was just leaving them for future expansion. I got the impression they were for connecting NVME drives. But is there such a thing as an MCIO to PCIE adapter, that I could then use...
  6. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

There are reports online of certain riser cables fitting under 4090s, but your point about blocking the airflow is a good one and I would like to avoid this. I measured the height of the space that you marked on your sub photo and it is about 50 mm. I have not yet bought the 4090s, so can go...
  7. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

That's great to hear!! The question then becomes how to proceed next. Do you have a sense from this photo as to whether mounting the GPUs up there or mounting the NVME and SAS cards up there makes more sense? My gut feeling is that mounting the SAS and NVME cards would be easier. It would...
  8. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

Yeah, it does not look too straightforward and, unfortunately, this is my first build, so I am not so familiar with just how this would work... Attached is a photo of the inside of the case with the dimensions of the usable mounting space for reference in case you have any ideas! My hope is...
  9. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

Thanks for your feedback, looks like this is a harder problem than I was hoping... I have already purchased the chassis so am a bit stuck with it unfortunately. By getting the deeper 4728 version, I hoped there would be more options to work with. I was considering mounting a 4090 on each of...
  10. T

4090 blocking PCIE slots

Hi All, I am planning a dual 4090 GPU build and am seeking advice about not blocking PCIE slots with these large cards. I would like to use a Supermicro H13SSL-NT motherboard in a Sliger CX4728 chassis. I was considering the following riser cables in the hopes that they can fit underneath the...
  11. T

Home lab networking advice

Hi All, I'm setting up my first home lab and am looking for advice on best practices and input on my current networking plan. Any inputs are much appreciated! See the attached diagram for an overview of my proposed network setup: I am thinking that I'd like to keep my current router/modem...
  12. T

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I just bought a Brocade ICX7250 48 port version. Can anyone help with how I can mount this in my 4 post server rack? It came with rack ears for the front, but not rails. Do I need specific rails, or am I better off just putting it on a shelf? Thanks for any advice!
  13. T

First home lab advice

That all sounds very interesting, I’m keen to learn more about this approach. I haven’t tried any of these so far (ESP, rtl433, esphome, Wemos, Zigbee, or MQTT). Are they quite intuitive or a bit of a learning curve needed? Thanks for giving the lingo so I can search these further. My go to...
  14. T

First home lab advice

Yeah it's weird, I couldn't find anything either... I guess I will just build my own using an Arduino and so on. So hard to find time for these things, indeed!
  15. T

First home lab advice

Very interesting, thanks! I'll look into those services. I would like to do more monitoring than I currently have planned (currently have power usage from UPS, network activity, and system resource usage). Do you have a good solution for sensing other things eg. ambient temperature and...
  16. T

First home lab advice

That sounds like very good advice! I had already planned on running my VPN on a dedicated mini computer but will think about having other critical things on this dedicated hardware also. What services do you consider as 'must be running' in your own setup, out of interest?
  17. T

First home lab advice

Thanks everyone for your great advice and suggestions! Thanks, I have changed to using enterprise U.2 NVME SSDs with PLP. I still think there are merits for separation, particularly in future as I add more hosts, but for now I will take your advice since most usage will come from VMs on the...
  18. T

First home lab advice

These seem like great tips from you both, thanks for your swift response! Nexox; 1.I was not aware of that, thanks.Do you suggest any parts in particular? 2. Good to know. Half the challenge is finding new or used parts in Australia at good prices. Shipping costs for heavy things are nasty...
  19. T

First home lab advice

Hi All, I am building my first home lab/server and would greatly appreciate the advice/insights of this community. I have been researching this for a while but keep finding conflicting information regarding parts and am feeling a bit lost. I have a preferred budget of around 5000 USD...