Search results

1. B

Dumb HDMI Splitter or ??

Gefen units are pretty high quality and readily available on eBay.
  2. B

W680-ACE - Windows Workstation Edition useful for Unbuffered ECC Memory?

ECC is not OS version specific. You can use the home edition if you want.
  3. B

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen11

M.2 is available if you get the iLO kit.
  4. B

FS: Lots of Supermicro servers/motherboards/chassis, DDR4 RDIMMs, drives, etc

Should be pretty obvious as it's the same items, just with higher prices than STH. :) I don't post everything here. Much of it is non-technology items and others I don't think would be of interest.
  5. B

Supermicro 2U JBOD fan help

I guess Dremel it is then. Supermicro's photos certainly do not make that obvious and most of their fans are not like that last I checked.
  6. B

Supermicro 2U JBOD fan help

Just remove the fan from one bracket and put it in the other? No need to cut anything up.
  7. B

Does 9400-16i require PCIe 3.1?

PCIe is backwards compatible.
  8. B

FIRMWARE for Drive in a Synology NAS

Synology wants you to buy their rebadged drives, so, they have no incentive to certify anything anymore. It's not a matter of speed on their part.
  9. B

I Need To Use NVMe SSD For This Server Please Help

PCIe is backwards compatible. I think you may be a bit in over your head given the responses in this thread, especially for what is supposed to be a critical production server.
  10. B

I have no idea what you mean by this. NVMe is a protocol, not physical interface. If you want specific advice, you need to also provide specifics. "very high IOPS" could mean anything. As a side note, you're not going to be future proofing a 12+ year old platform. It's already ancient.
  11. B

Pretty much any? NVMe drives are just PCIe devices like anything else. Just get a physical adapter to hold M.2 or U.2 drives.
  12. B

Asrock ALTRAD8UD-1L2T with SMC BPN-SAS3-216EL1-N4 backplane?

Not quite. Those are SlimSAS 4X and you have 8 lane ones. More like this: Slimline SAS 8-Lane to Mini SAS HD 4-Lane x2 Y Cable Just remember you're only going to be able to use 4 NVMe SSDs with that backplane. The rest is SAS/SATA only.
  13. B

Asrock ALTRAD8UD-1L2T with SMC BPN-SAS3-216EL1-N4 backplane?

For NVMe, just get a pair of SlimSAS to SFF-8643 cables. For the SAS part, you will need a SAS HBA.
  14. B

ALTRAD8UD-1L2T chassis?

Any chassis that supports EATX should take it. It's only a bit longer than a normal mATX motherboard.
  15. B

SC836/SC846 - Missing fan bracket assistance required

If you don't care about hot-swap fans, then you don't need to worry about the plug bit.
  16. B

SC836/SC846 - Missing fan bracket assistance required

This might help: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RUEAAOSwS~dl2nUn/s-l1600.jpg The far right (closest to PSU) and middle ones are the same. They have grooves on either side to hold the fan brackets in place and allow the cable you linked to attach, permitting the fans to be hot-swap.
  17. B

SSD design question…

There's a sizeable controller on each DIMM: https://www.servethehome.com/a-close-look-at-intel-optane-dc-persistent-memory-modules/
  18. B

SSD design question…

It's not. There is a controller between the NAND and CPU.