Search results

1. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Have you enabled 10G licenses on the SFP+ ports? They default to 1G mode.
  2. K

For the 'super' ports, create an additional VLAN and assign that to all of them in 'untagged' mode; any packets they send to the switch which don't include VLAN tags will go into this VLAN. The result will be that the all the devices on that VLAN can talk to each other (but nothing else) over...
  3. K

All of the content applies to all 71xx models. There are no 'licensing files' for 7xxx units though, they aren't needed.
  4. K

The FastIron CLI is reasonably similar to Cisco IOS, I think, so if you can find tutorials for that you will be able to learn quite a lot. Are you already familiar with VLANs in general (tagging, access/trunk ports, etc.)?
  5. K

It doesn't (almost certainly).
  6. K

Fiber: simplex, single mode to duplex?

Yeah... that simplex cable is a bidirectional (BiDi) link, and requires a compatible transceiver. That's a much more fundamental issue than the number of connectors :)
  7. K

Brocade/Ruckus switch fail over between two switches

That's link aggregation.
  8. K

There are a *TON* of changes between 08 and 09; if you haven't read the Upgrade/Release Notes, you should do that before going much further.
  9. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

I have only ever used Unleashed (as have friends I've convinced to switched to Ruckus APs, and many people on this thread), and the AP performance has never been visibly affected by running in Unleashed 'master' mode. With that said, if you are concerned about that there are at least two options...
  10. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

It is possible to use Zone Director one of the other 'centralized' management solutions, some of them can be found used on eBay which makes them less expensive than purchasing new. What is your concern with using Unleashed? It's roughly equivalent to the other 'controller-less' enterprise...
  11. K

SAS disks vs. SATA connectors. How does it work?

But the U.2 connector is yet-another-variation on the original SATA connector; as noted in the link above, a backplane receptacle can support any or all of SATA/SAS/U.2 if it has the proper electrical connectivity.
  12. K

If you want to do something simpler, a single pair of SM fiber with simplex (not duplex) LC connectors and two pairs of this SFP+ (BiDi SFP+ 10GBase-LR Tx1270/Rx1330nm 10KM) will give you a full ring and nothing extra. If you like you can order the SFP+ transceivers with "Brocade coding" (that's...
  13. K

I don't think that backplane supports 12Gb/s SAS. You would need a BPN-SAS3-825TQ.
  14. K

I believe the answer is they don't connect to anything, and the drive is able to tolerate that. I just checked a Seagate EXOS SAS HDD I pulled out from my backplane (again, the same one you listed), and it also has those additional contacts on the top side of the connector but works perfectly in...
  15. K

Which flavor of SAS has those additional signals? It's possible that speeds above 6Gb/s use them, but this backplane does not support those speeds.
  16. K

I wonder where you got the information that SAS connectors have 'more signals'. The connectors on SAS and SATA disks are identical except for a blocking bar to keep you from plugging a SAS drive into a SATA-only backplane/cable. I have that exact backplane in my server and have easily swapped...
  17. K

Brocade Inter-VLAN routing on some but not all? Help

Well, it would be useful to use the usual terminology... there is no 'requesting a device' involved :) For IPv4, ARP is used to find hardware (MAC) addresses which correspond to IP addresses, and ARP is a layer 2 protocol so it does not cross VLANs. The difference between routing VLANs and...
  18. K

ICX devices do not have NAT, but do have ACLs, so you can do limited firewalling on them.
  19. K

Brocade ICX6610-48P-PE 48-Port 1G PoE+ Switch w/ 2x PSU & Fans $99.99 + Reasonable Shipping.

The 7250-48Ps at this price were definitely a great deal, not sure that the 6610 at the same price is :cool: