Search results

1. lpallard

Supermicro H12SSL boards listed on website

I could probably just send an email to Supermicro, but I figured I'd ask here since most of you guys are very knowledgeable anyways... 1. Supermicro has a line for "workstation" and "server" motherboards. Generally speaking, what's the difference?? 2. I noticed that Supermicro doesnt have...
  2. lpallard

64 Cores of EPYC Goodness

Congrats on "non Intel Non NVidia build"... They're both doing a lot of commercial fu**ery to force consumers to buy expensive solutions like locking features, or purposefully borking drivers, etc because they have/had the upper hand on the market share. The video driver crap I just went thru...
  3. lpallard

Epyc 7302P & H11SSL-NC Workstation Build: Follow-Up Report

Maximum amount of RAM shouldn't be a big issue. I guess 64GB would be plenty enough (16 for host OS, 32 for main work VM, and another 16 for buffer/smaller VM's). TR is pretty interesting for the max clock speeds VS core counts. But Supermicro lack support for TR. Quite honestly, I'd pair...
  4. lpallard

EPYCD8-2T Serious issues

Thats too bad, at least if you got it sorted out.... I myself try to avoid manufacturers who's bread & butter are gaming components. Gamers and us are two different crowds with different needs... I only buy Supermicro, quality wise, I've had board running for 12 years without a huiccup and...
  5. lpallard

Epyc 7302P & H11SSL-NC Workstation Build: Follow-Up Report

@TXAG26 I am in the process of spec'ing a similar build (although with a combination of gaming & pro GPU's) for a daily linux based driver with frequent windows use via KVM. Host OS will probably end up being Linux Mint or a similar easy to use linux distro for day to day use and some casual...
  6. lpallard

EPYCD8-2T Serious issues

1. Have you figured out this yet? Its May, and your post dates back from Feb.... I may be late... 2. Have you pulled everything (except of course what's required to boot a system) and proceeded by elimination? 3. Have you contacted Asrock? When I had a freak occurrence with my Freenas...
  7. lpallard

New My Workstation Xeon W-3200series

Interesting, always curious to see what folks who spend north of $30k on a single machine can do with so much horsepower!!! Benchmarks are always cute, but who cares... Real life usage is what counts! What do you use this beast for?
  8. lpallard

Nvidia GPU passthrough not working with libvirt (KVM-QEMU)

OK I may have found the issue: The card I'm trying to passthrough does not support UEFI and AFAIK it is required that the VM use UEFI together with the card. I guess if this is true, game over. What a house of card.
  9. lpallard

Nvidia GPU passthrough not working with libvirt (KVM-QEMU)

Hello, I am testing KVM to be able to use a GPU inside of a Windows guest VM for CAD/Engineering applications on a future computer build. Before I commit on buying the parts (which will amount to perhaps over $3000USD), I thought to give it a go on my existing setup as a feasibility test and...
  10. lpallard

Time to replace power modules and PDB on SC836 chassis?

I agree with you, I tend to overthink pretty much everything, but I've been bitten more than once... Murphy loves me :D While at it, I've been wondering for a while now, would a PSU or PDB failure grill the server or are they protected in any ways?
  11. lpallard

Time to replace power modules and PDB on SC836 chassis?

Hey guys, long time since I posted on STH! Recently one of my APC SMT750RM2U UPS started behaving in a weird manner. First of all I had to empty my SOHO for some remodelling. Upon relocating all equipment, I saw that the run-time on this UPS was < 1 min and battery was <10%... I wasn't sure...
  12. lpallard

ZFS storage server upgrade (pool capacity)

The WD Reds you pointed out on Amazon are over $350CAD by the time they arrive at my doorstep... Insane. There is a guy selling WD blues (6TB) New and is about 30 minutes from my place in Canada. I wonder for backing up only (and NOT for 24/7 use in my freenas server) if they would work well...
  13. lpallard

Would a HGST white label drive for HP works with M1015 controllers? 6TB HGST OEM By HP UltraStar He6 SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive HUS726060ALA640 What about a no brand drive like this: New 6TB 7200RPM 128MB Cache SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Security CCTV DVR Hard Drive What about WD blue drives? THey...
  14. lpallard

Yes, all prices for WD Reds on newegg.ca My guess based on ordering a s**t ton of stuff from the US is that for a single hard drives, shipping will be anywhere between 30 & 60$...... Nevertheless I take that you guys trust these "white labels" drives on ebay?? I thought about moving to a...
  15. lpallard

So I am contemplating an upgrade of my Freenas ZFS pool capacity by upgrading the hard drives to larger ones. Classic case but I am trying to do it as cheaply as possible without getting into reliability issues associated with refurbished/used drives. Some limitations: The chassis supports 16...
  16. lpallard

Server upgrade (swapping components around)

OK server components successfully swapped around! I have contacted Supermicro about the PD & PF connectors, and according to their reply, the PD connector is no longer used with modern motherboards and PDU's. Basically, the PD is only able to detect the power fail event of the redundant power...
  17. lpallard

Thanks cheezehead for replying. I am too interested in the power modules from supermicro but before I pull the trigger on buying a 1200 Watt power module I would need to know if my PDU is compatible. I am quite shocked to see that the 920 is a lot more expensive than the PWS-1K21P-1R..... the...
  18. lpallard

Ok, so far so good upgrading the 3U server with newer hardware: Except for the Noctua cooler than barely clears the top cover (about 1mm clearance left!) The EPS 8 pin power cable from the PDU that is WAYYYY too short (about 4 inches) (=>what was supermicro thinking?). I will get an...
  19. lpallard

Clarifying the X9SCL, CPU and ECC ram compatiblity

OK thanks guys for the replies. I managed to get the board to POST. I am not sure why the board did not POST. I moved the memory stick to slot 2A as suggested pricklypunter but if I recall it did not help so I decided to pull the CPU and reseat it, then it Posted. One thing I noticed too...