Search results

1. M

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Actually great idea - a much less janky option that might solve my issue. Just ordered one, thx.
  2. M

Anyone slap a 140mm fan on top to help with cooling? Mine gets quite hot (particularly the SSD) when downloading large files. Should I power it with a USB to fan header adapter, or is there some way to use the serial port for power?
  3. M

Might be kind of a niche question but has anyone tried using a M.2 wireless port to sata adapter and connecting it to an esata JBOD like this one? I'm curious if the performance is at all decent with the port multiplier. The use-case would be for a media box where only one of the drives is...
  4. M

Also in order to get the case to close, you either need a left/right angle sata adapter or buy a left/right angle cable. I ended up using a left angle regular sata cable and then a sata to eSATA adapter.
  5. M

Pretty sure you don’t want the 22 pin cable, I’m not sure what m.2 pci to SATA adapater you bought but all the ones that I’ve seen won’t take the 22 pin connector. Instead you want something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Gbps-eSATA/dp/B00V6QA4R6 The enclosure looks...
  6. M

Has anyone confirmed that the M.2 PCIE to SATA adapter supports port multiplier to make external DAS units on these viable?
  7. M

Does the touch screen negate the need for a mouse in this scenario? Seems like this might be the cheapest/easiest option
  8. M

What are people using to access bios when running headless? Getting tired of hooking up keyboard and monitor. PiKVM? Is that the cheapest/easiest option?
  9. M

Yeah no transcoding for the Apple TV, but I’ve done tests with my phone and laptop simultaneously to confirm hardware transcoding works. I was trying to figure out if you were having trouble with 4K using the 5070 as a server or as a client. I haven’t tried as a client, but yeah it works great...
  10. M

I’m running Unraid on it and using the linuxserver docker image of plex media server. When you say 4K playback, did you mean using the 5070 as a playback device or using it as a host for plex media server? For 4K I use it as a server and play back on my Apple TV which uses direct play, no...
  11. M

I'm using the non-extended model as a plex server and the little J5005 handles quicksync transcoding remarkably well. Can easily do several simulatneous 4k to 1080p transcodes. Unfortunately there's currently a bug in Plex that causes it to be unable to use the iGPU in J4105 and J5005 to...
  12. M

If anyone is interested, I successfully used this M.2 A Key + E Key to SATA adapter in the M.2 wifi/SFP/RJ45 slot to mount an external SATA hard drive in an enclosure. Enclosure was needed to power the drive. Needed to get a left-angle SATA cable to get the case to close. Worked right away with...
  13. M

Yeah sounds like maybe an install problem. Only other suggestion I had was instead of trying the boot sequence, can hit F12 during startup to access boot menu and directly select the disk from there and see if that works. If it doesn't it sounds like a drive / install issue.
  14. M

You shouldn't need to "add" it to the boot sequence, it should just show up there. What type of drive are we talking about here? USB stick? SSD?
  15. M

I know this a very old post - but if you're still on here, did you find a cable that routes through the expansion opening? Hoping to do the same thing as you to add an external esata dock.
  16. M

Has anyone successfully used the wifi M.2 port to add SATA connections? Using something like this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800198945086.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US
  17. M

Ohh very interesting. I know at some point along the line there was a bios update that "allowed newer memory" or something to that effect, maybe that fixed it? Or maybe, like you said, people missed the stop in the bios. Maybe I'll try some sticks from amazon and see how it goes, worst case I...
  18. M

Got it, looks like a bunch of sets available for 56 bucks. A bit more expensive than amazon but maybe worth it rather than rolling the dice with single vs dual rank. Thx.
  19. M

Alright - I'd like to upgrade to 16 gb ram but it's hard to find 2Rx8 8gb sticks - there are some crucial ones on amazon that apparently will ship either single rank or dual rank - it's just sorta a lottery. Should I just use a single 16 gb stick that I know for sure is dual rank? Am I losing a...
  20. M

Just a heads up that a bunch of these are available for cheap on shopgoodwill.com. Got mine there for 37 bucks plus shipping. Just make sure to only place a bid at the last possible second.