Search results

1. T

802.11be the cheap way.... <$40

@muh12487 https://www.quectel.com/product/wi-fi-bluetooth-ncm865 Found something interesting RE the card. NCM865 supports simultaneous operation on 2.4 GHz + 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz + 6 GHz. Looks like it's not a true tri-mode but, could be at least dual mode per client on either 5/6ghz. Kind of...
  2. T

Replacing ISP gear

Oh, the internal stuff works fine when the WWAN goes down just no internet. I ordered some more stuff the other day from CN to try some things to fix the card issue. Not sure it's the card so I got a couple more adapters and some USB header cables since the one that shipped with the PCIE adapter...
  3. T

That's good info. They work, just have to hack them and lose true performance of them for AP mode. Qualcomm is used for the majority of APs and when I was running AC it worked great. The problem is the intended AP controller cards are $500 and this one is about $40. Being that this is a client...
  4. T

[Need advice] Looking for a cheap server to replace raspberry pi 3b+

Could you just use remote desktop? Then the monitor isn't an issue.
  5. T

[WTB] i350-t4 nic

eBay sells them all day long for about $50.
  6. T

Always an option. It was when I started all of this. Maybe there's a new model number? The actual card model is a WCN7851 but, it was marketed under that odd QCNCM865 ID for some reason. IIRC I tried this or avoided it based on comments. I know I tried the AX version and it just didn't hit...
  7. T

SAS, SATA, U.2, NVME, MiniSAS, HBA or RAID, OcuLink?? - Lost in Diversity

The easy way to sift through this when it comes to U drives is.... U.2 cards/adapters work with both drive types U.3 only works with U.3 The key is to calculate your number of lanes which is simple... each drive needs 4 lanes so, either a single M2 slot or dumb adapter If you want multiple...
  8. T

Replacing ISP gear

Glad I didn't stop reading before hitting this part!! I run my own box and don't deal with ISP anything at this point and it's a great feeling until.... I break something. If you setup the box and leave it alone it's a great option. If you tinker it can be a rabbit hole from hell to deal...
  9. T

I listed the one I'm using in the first post. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805957376726.html I have one installed in both my server (AP) and laptop. iw reg get phy#0 (self-managed) country na: DFS-UNSET (2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 20), (N/A) (2457 - 2482 @ 20), (N/A, 20)...
  10. T

Did a quick test and the hotspot option failed to bring up the AP mode but, in the past using the built-in option hasn't been the best in controlling the adapters so, need to spend some time with hostapd to see if it's going to engage and work in AP mode now that it shows up properly. 55:00.0...
  11. T

Intel doesn't work for this and when it does it's hobbled to slow speeds. You need to use Qualcomm or RTL based adapters. Sidenote, I updated to 24.04 and now the Qualcomm adapter shows up in the system and is usable as a client at least and the option to use it as a hotspot shows up in the...
  12. T

Stable AM5 motherboard suggestions for server purposes

@kriterio I'm using the ASRock pg lightning board and picked one up on Amazon for $160 last Aug. They had a bunch of returns at that time and grabbed one. Figured out they were probably being returned due to some uefi issues. Played around with 3 different versions to get it working the way I...
  13. T

AP suggestions

Yes, Ethernet to the AP locations. I suppose you could do MOCA through Coax to the location if need be but, hardwired to the AP is the key to performance. If you look closely at the repeater it's going to suck if you need bandwidth.
  14. T

AP suggestions

Zyxel nwa210ax is what I run. If you have cabling in place they cover large areas with just a single AP. I haven't tried adding a second but in the GUI there's something's at adding additional nodes but not sure if they will do a wireless backhaul like a repeater.
  15. T

High capacity Kingston DC1500M alternatives?

@kwinz Yeah, when I was putting my toe in the water initially those were on avg $900 for the 16TB option. I think I went with the 7450 though. Word of warning though is they run hot and will need direct cooling. The Kioxia though tends to run cooler at ~40C w/o direct cooling for the CD8 model.
  16. T

Well, I track the Kioxia drives since that's what I went with after burning through 2 Micron drives for no apparent reason. There's also a NAND supply issue in the supply chain. You might be on to something though with the change of model by SS and depleting the stock before release. There...
  17. T

Just wait for prices to drop again. The price jacking has happened over the last couple of months. Typically this sort of thing happens when big sales are coming to make the discount look better. Happens all of the time with Amazon. I find eBay search alerts to help in timing for better pricing
  18. T

PCIe SSDs on older server question

This sums up this thread completely.
  19. T

2.5Gb Mini-PCIe NICs in USFFs

http://www.iocrest.com/index.php?id=2348 M2 >> 10GE mPCIE to me doesn't seem to have enough bandwidth to get 10GE. It might with the right slot / gen version though. There's a handful though of these M2 conversion units floating around for niche applications. Personally I avoid RTL when...