Search results

1. J

Need advise to overcome 2 slot GPU covering my PCIe x8 slot

Hi. I'm using Supermicro X10XRM-TF motherboard. I also have a GPU connected to it, a 2 slot GTX1080 video card. Apart from it, I also have a SAS card that I will soon connect, cause I bought SAS drives that are cheap. I love this board, it almost have everything I need, several SATA as...
  2. J

Forgot what IP address I assigned to my Cisco SG500-28 switch. Don't want to reset.

Tried pinging 192.168.1.254, got 'Destination host unreachable.' I've accessed the switch before, set VLAN, unfortunately, I forgot. Looked at my firewall, with assigned DHCP IP addresses, and tried to access them, with no avail. Any ideas how?
  3. J

Can you use E5-4XXXL processors on single proc m/b? Supermicro X10SRM-TF

Hi. I know you can use E5-2xxx processors on single processor motherboards. What about E5-4XXX processors? I assume the answer is the same for E5-4XXXL, the lower power variant. Regards
  4. J

Can vlan1 (switch default) be considered for use with ssid without vlan tagging?

Not sure if it's clear on my title. My HP switch comes default with vlan1, which has all ports untagged. I use Unifi, and in my controller, I have 3 SSIDs. SSID1 (no vlan set), SSID20 (vlan 20 for guests) and SSID30 (vlan 30 for IOT). On my switch, as mentioned above, vlan1 has all ports...
  5. J

Need help to reset Supermicro motherboard that is password protected

Hi. I bought a M/B from ebay. I turned on this motherboard. It asks for password. I shorted the cmos contacts while power supply is disconnected. Still, the request for password appears. I connected the BMA port to my firewall, and let the hoping the dhcp server will assign it an ip...
  6. J

How can I establish VPN connection to home? Which affordable router to get?

Hi. I intend to help setup vpn for a relative. He has fiber connection to home, current modem in bridge mode. I have the same setup, and I'm using Sophos XG Firewall, and I was able to follow some guide to setup OpenVPN connection to Sophos XG Firewall (home) from ios, android, MacOS. He...
  7. J

SAS drives for home NAS

So while I'm waiting for some deal to be available on ebay, why are others not concerned that SAS drives consume more power than SATA? I also read they don't spin down? Won't all these translate to significant additional power usage? How much watts do a regular SAS2 drive consume?
  8. J

Addlink S70 NVMe ssd not performing as advertised

Hi. Anyone of you have experience with Addlink S70 m.2 NVMe ssd? It's advertised as 3500 MBps Read/ 3000 MBps write. So when my order arrived, I inserted it into my new X10SRM-TF serverboard. But just to see if it really performs as advertised, I installed Windows 10 on it, and ran...
  9. J

Can an HP MicroServer N40L act as JBOD enclosure?

I have an Unraid server, with limited disk storage space already. I have an HP MicroServer N40L. I know this device is no longer fast. Can I plug an HBA card that has external mini sas, and connect it to Unraid server? This will give me a few drives more. 4 at least. On a related note, I think...
  10. J

Can anyone help check if Noctua NH-U9DX i4 is compatible SM X10SRM-TF

Not sure if this huge fan will hit memory or anything, Furthermore, the m/b I bought came with Dynatron blower fan, due to it being too noisy, I intend to replace it with Noctua. The m/b seems to have a base metal plate for the dynatron fan. Do I need to remove this. Lastly, my cpu has 140...
  11. J

Can I replace offering of 400-ATMM of Dell SAS with Intel DC SSD P4610? Is this an upgrade?

Hi. In our office, we need to fulfill an order of Dell R440 Server with 4 units 400-ATMM drives. Since this item is not readily available where I'm at, is it an upgrade to provide Intel DC SSD P4610 instead? Will it work the same? If I'm correct, it will function better than 400-ATMM...
  12. J

Need Intel counterpart for Dell-400-ATMM-1.6TB-SAS-Solid-State-Drive-Kit-DX

Dell 400-ATMM / 6V8VW 1.6TB 2.5" SFF 12Gbps MLC HS 512e SAS Solid State Drive Kit DXD9H, PM1635a Is there any Intel counterpart for these? Help you can help identify.
  13. J

Question about Dynatron cooler for Xeon E5-1650 v3

I've mentioned in Good Deals post that I recently bought a Supermicro X10SRM-TF motherboard. It came with Dynatron fan. It didn't come with a processor. The motherboard was taken off a brand new server. Most likely 1U, that's why it's a Dynatron fan. From the looks of it, it looks like...
  14. J

SuperMicro X10SRM-TF LGA2011-3 Server Motherboard No CPU/32GB Memory USD 378

Hi guys. Recently bought a deal similar to this. Seems to be the same product, though it's a different seller. The board seems to be perfect for me. I've been wanting to replace my Supermicro X9SCM-F as I've been wanting to have more cores as my Unraid NAS. To highlight a few features...
  15. J

Micron 9200 PRO 3.8TB 2.5" U.2 PCIe NVMe Enterprise SSD Solid State Drive, $450

Not sure if this is a good deal. Don't have the budget now, but just would like to share it with you guys. Micron 9200 PRO 3.8TB 2.5" U.2 PCIe NVMe Enterprise SSD Solid State Drive | eBay Edited with link. Thanks @BackupProphet
  16. J

Planning to get Supermicro X10SRM-TF, please recommend Proc

Hi. Planning to get X10SRM-TF | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.. What cost effective processor to get? 1st criteria should be under 150 usd. 2nd criteria is as high core count and max turbo frequency as possible :D. To be used for Unraid, and gaming vm inside unraid...
  17. J

Is there any m-atx boards to take advantage of cheap Xeon E7 v2 processors?

I see this: Intel Xeon E7-2890 V2 2.80GHz 15 Cores 37.5MB CPU LGA2011 SR1GV Tested Grade A 636946533502 | eBay My case is only good for m-atx. Seems like too good of a bargain.
  18. J

How do you use these? LSI SAS9200-16E 16-Port 6Gb/s PCI Express SATA+SAS HBA Controller H3-25140-02

LSI SAS9200-16E 16-Port 6Gb/s PCI Express SATA+SAS HBA Controller H3-25140-02B | eBay Seems like there is no way to plug Sata drives. I assume you use the external ports to connect to another external port of a similar card. But how do you pass the storage (SATA and SAS) drives to this card...
  19. J

How do you use 1U rackmount case CSE-502L-200B to create Unraid storage array?

I know that this post —> https://www.servethehome.com/supermicro-cse502l200b-mitx-matx-1u-atom-server-chassis-review/#comments is very old already. I have been using Unraid since 2013. I have always liked the idea of all in a box. I'm currently using Fractal Design Node 804. It fits in a...
  20. J

How do you cool Pentium G4400 in a 1U form factor?

I have a used SuperChassis 502L-200B- SC502L-200B | 1U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. I want to gut out the the mini-itx motherboard, and replace with a 9.6 x 9.6 micro atx motherboard that I already have, together with the Pentium G4400 processor. This will replace my old...