Search results

1. J

how do you turn off pci nic oprom during boot on asrock rack

I figured it out and wanted to update anyone that might have the same question. they put it under the "CSM" settings in the bios. this seems to be a mistake that probably should be fixed in any new version of the bios.
  2. J

PCI ARI Forwarding

just wanted to update everyone on my own topic just in case. I upgraded to the 1.30 bios and it fixed the issue. the bios had the sriov parameter option in an odd place in the old bios. the new bios put it back to the normal spot in the bios menu. I guess that is life on the bleeding edge...
  3. J

cheapest 100GE unmanaged switch?

thanks for everyone's help. I pulled the trigger on the arista 7060 (thanks Alex!). I am sure sonic would be ok eventually but for my use case, there are a 1000 other issues that I need to sort out and didn't want to lose time working a sonic config backwards to a simple L2 switch. Thanks...
  4. J

thanks but I did that but it still keeps cycling through the flex boot options for all of the NICs. I removed all of the boot options except the m.2 drive for vmware. With most motherboards, there is a oprom option that you can disable to not try to boot from the pci slots. the recent...
  5. J

Most MBs have a way of shutting off the boot from nic option in the bios. I haven't been able to find that option with some new asrock rack MBs. I went through most of the bios and still could not find a way to turn it off. It cycle through all of the pci nics with the flex boot configuration...
  6. J

PCI ARI Forwarding

I recently got an asrock rack rome8 mb and am having a similar issue as I have seen with several other mbs. When I try to configure sriov on a dual port nic in vmware, it acts like it is configuring sriov with a certain # of VFs. However, it keeps reverting back to 0 VFs and the VFs never...
  7. J

does the arista come with its own OS or are you using an onie os like sonic?
  8. J

which 40G switch are you using and which OS? I am wondering if I get a sonic compatible switch and just load sonic, will the default settings act like an unmanaged/basic switch?
  9. J

I just noticed that the above referenced switch is only 10GE. But there are other edge-core switches like the EDGE-CORE 7512-32X 100GBE QSFP28 that are 100GE switches. My question still remains as to how to configure as a simple switch. thanks.
  10. J

I am trying to find the easiest way to configure a 100GE unmanaged switch. I don't need all of the fancy sdn functions of most of the onie switches but can't seem to find a simple 100GE switch. I have seen some pretty cheap edge-core switches on ebay which have been suggested in some of the...
  11. J

7H12 in small form factor custom build

Will do later today if interested. Dual port 100GE as the dual port 200GE would oversubscribe the pci gen 4 X16 bus. This build was for a very specific use case. It was just interesting to see Patrick's article on the 7h12. Cooling for all of these builds is one of the more challenging...
  12. J

7H12 in small form factor custom build

Just finished the latest raptor build using the amd epyc 7h12 cpu that Patrick just wrote about. specs: 7h12 cpu supermicro h12ssw-in 256GB 3200MHz ram Mellanox connectx-6dx dual port 100GE ultra compact custom case built by NFC Systems
  13. J

Corundum: open-source, FPGA-based, 100G NIC

pm me when you get a chance. this project sounds like something I have been pursuing for a while. thanks, jp
  14. J

AsrockRack x570d4i-2T

i needed to use both the 24pin atx (with the special 24 to 4 pin converter cable) and an 8pin eps before the board would properly power up. I couldn't tell from your psu link if that psu had an 8pin eps cable.
  15. J

Crazy 100GbE adapter for $100

Can't find them anywhere. I do have some non-franken nic 200GE cards from Mellanox.
  16. J

Shiny and 100G
  17. J

The pcie 3.0 bus has been a bottleneck for a long time for my use case. It involves a sw based traffic generator for testing vnf (virtual network functions.) I have built several sff appliances that are capable of generating the traffic of over 50M UEs (think cell phones) for testing 5G...
  18. J

i purchase 2 of these cards and would be good to get any feedback on if anyone is able to get these to work and in which type of host. best, jp
  19. J

FS: [US-WA] AMD EPYC 7742 Retail $3k including fedex shipping.

Hello Prof_G, Thanks for the questions as I forgot to mention the preferred payment method. I would prefer paypal. The invoice would be via paypal. These are my own personal CPUs and as such there is no manufacture's warranty. I will guaranty that they work without issue in any motherboard...
  20. J

FS: [US-WA] AMD EPYC 7742 Retail $3k including fedex shipping.

I am upgrading my epyc 7742 retail cpus to the 7h12 versions. I am selling one of the 7742 in perfect condition. I only used it briefly to test in my vmware 7.0 setup using the tyan s8030 to ensure everything was perfect. I am asking $3k and will include fedex shipping. I just paid a lot...