Search results

1. DavidRa

Trusted Sources - Mellanox ConnectX-3

I'm looking for a source for Mellanox 3 (pref. the MCX311A) cards - every source I find on Ebay seems to have the same set of images and text for the MCX311A cards; I've had two failures (one never detected, the other connects but doesn't pass traffic) so I'm left wondering if the cards are...
  2. DavidRa

X10SRA + E5-1650v3 + ECC UDIMMs - POST code 67

Trying to track down why my replacement board, an X10SRA, won't complete POST with a CPU and RAM that used to be fine. The previous board was an Asrock X99WS which underwent some form of rapid decompressive failure - something went bang and I can't see which component failed, though I expect...
  3. DavidRa

X9SRH-7F SAS/RAID controller

I'm pondering a few new servers to replace the aging C6100. I want to go to storage spaces direct - which I can PROBABLY do with the newest server insider builds and a few of these servers. Problem is I don't know if the SAS controller is a proper SAS controller, or a RAID controller - and S2D...
  4. DavidRa

Dell 8024F, Multicast for Proxmox

Now that Proxmox 5 is out and live, I figured I'd build a test cluster on my lab environment to see if it is any easier/better than my previous attempts. I have run into a snag though. According to the Proxmox documentation, the preferred environment for clustering includes multicast for the...
  5. DavidRa

Option to Disable Automatic Links

It's driving me nuts. I like it about ... half the time, but I'm quite happy to link my own URLs when it's appropriate. But if I am trying to explain to someone how to publish PD Consulting and Security - PD Consulting and Security using Web Application Proxy and saying that the reverse proxy...
  6. DavidRa

Haunted? SC847 - won't power up in garage rack, fine on dining table

Honestly I don't even know where to begin with this one, so if it's a bit disjointed I apologise. I have a server built in a SuperMicro SC847 chassis - X9SCM-F, E3-1230, 32GB, 2x X520, LSI RAID, 36x 3TB and 8x 300GB SSD, so it's heavy! It's worked fine for ... six months at a guess? I just...
  7. DavidRa

[AU] WTB: Corsair 500R IO Panel (CC-8930017)

I know this is a long shot. SWMBO has a Corsair 500R on which the headset port has broken away. Can't buy one new in Australia, nothing on fleabay etc, and everyone appears to be out of stock globally. Does anyone have an old 500R from which they'd consider pulling the IO panel and cabling, and...
  8. DavidRa

LB4M Power Supplies

Tossing up whether this is a Networking topic, but we'll start here. Power supply in my active LB4m just died - while I had a spare, because I bought two switches, I am now obviously using said spare. It appears I was using a Delta DPSN-300DB D - I'm guessing the D is the revision, or related...
  9. DavidRa

An internal 4xSSD module for SC846/SC847

I had a need to mount a stack of SSDs in addition to the 36x drives in one of my new SC847's. I designed this SSD rack and had it 3D-printed; it will hold 4 devices, mounts to the normal Supermicro mounting plate (though a tweak would allow screwing it in directly, I went with a plan to bolt/nut...
  10. DavidRa

How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? April 2016 edition

In the spirit of previous threads: How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? Feb 2016 edition How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? March 2016 edition Now the April edition - how much bandwidth did you use in March 2016? I wonder when I finally...
  11. DavidRa

Editing posts

I'm ... pretty sure, I think, that it used to be possible to edit posts. I don't think it was permanent but it was enough to allow for correcting typos for a few minutes. Has this gone away?
  12. DavidRa

LetsEncrypt a 2012 R2 Web Application Proxy

DavidRa submitted a new resource: LetsEncrypt a 2012 R2 Web Application Proxy - Implementing LetsEncrypt for end-to-end SSL across IIS and WAP Read more about this resource...
  13. DavidRa

Joining Linux to Active Directory for Windows Admins

DavidRa submitted a new resource: Joining Linux to Active Directory for Windows Admins - A Windows view of joining Linux to AD Read more about this resource...
  14. DavidRa

Firmware Flash X520

I'm trying to troubleshoot some substandard SMB3 performance, so I figured I should first ensure everything is updated to current versions - drivers, firmware etc. Switches are done (Dell 8024F) X520-DA2 drivers are sorted (Intel 20.4.1 driver set) Can't flash the firmware. The cards came with...
  15. DavidRa

C6100 - Fixing broken BMC / IPMI

DavidRa submitted a new resource: C6100 - Fixing broken BMC / IPMI - How to fix a C6100 node with a broken IPMI controller (e.g. can't set IP address, wrong MAC) Read more about this resource...
  16. DavidRa

[Solved], [Documented]: C6100 Nodes - Can't set BMC IP, BMC broken

I'm powering up the second C6100 chassis and nodes I bought back in September this year. The first went perfectly well - all 4 nodes got BMC/IPMI addresses, booted, installed OS and are now running production. The second is a ... difficult birth, shall we say. So far node 2 is fine. Node 1 I...
  17. DavidRa

Attachment uploads?

I just posted in Chassis and Enclosures - I was going to attach some files to illustrate my question. I'm getting a quite unhelpful error: The following error occurred There was a problem uploading your file. Just me? Not permitted in that forum? Firefox x64 problem? Hints welcome. Edit...
  18. DavidRa

Yet another "what NAS case" thread (mATX low profile, 10 drive)

Per the title I'm trying to find a case similar to those used by the Brontastor appliances. Since I already have boards, RAID cards, NICs etc, I'm really not interested in importing fully specced servers - even if I was, the UK reseller either ignored or didn't receive emails. I mocked up what...
  19. DavidRa

C6100 SATA Cables and SGPIO

I've just received my two C6100 2.5" chassis (I know, I know, bit slow on the uptake here). All blades seem to have come with LSI cards and corresponding SFF8087-SATA cabling. Can someone who has the drives connected to the ICH confirm some part numbers for me? I think the SATA cable is 6J3R2 -...