Search results

1. DavidRa

X10SRA + E5-1650v3 + ECC UDIMMs - POST code 67

Right - months later, thanks to (*gesturing*) everything, SM just emailed through a photo showing a bent pin. $50 for the repair, I'll take that.
  2. DavidRa

LGA 3647 Processor Installation – Intel Advice

Yeah I'm not seeing the problem here. Worried they're using a power driver? Worried about torque limits?
  3. DavidRa

eBay - Intel Xeon E5-2680V4 - $168

Not that much difference I think. But in this case it's 14 cores over my current 6 (1650V3). Since I tend to run a stack of VMs, it could be worth it.
  4. DavidRa

Lets Encrypt Web Application Proxy

It should all work the same way. WAP hasn't really changed that much from 2012 R2 to 2019. You don't need ARR, though, because WAP will publish HTTP as well. Here's a pretty standard pair of rules for an instance of GitLab (running on a Linux VM behind ADFS and WAP): External DNS resolves...
  5. DavidRa

Hyper-V w/Failover cluster

Where's your quorum? Sounds like there's only 2 votes in the cluster so there's no way for the remaining node to figure out whether the failed node is failed, or just off the network. Build an Azure witness or a file share witness (on a separate physical machine). You can't do the kind of...
  6. DavidRa

SC846 rails stuck

I had this happen and the root cause was that the ball bearing slide was catching on the static rail (the one on the server itself). I had someone hold the ball bearing rail forward as I slowly slid the server in, and once it was past the catch point, it slid in correctly. Not before I bent one...
  7. DavidRa

WD Red Plus Launched with CMR

Nope. No way, no how. They tried to screw the purchasers over once already - fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Go DIAF WD.
  8. DavidRa

G7 Microserver ILO - can't ssh to it?

He did say relatively. Which in this case means before the death of the sun, not after the heat death of the universe, I would guess :)
  9. DavidRa

Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ error beep codes

I am troubleshooting one of these at the moment - built the new cluster, was fine for 48h then slowed to 5% of performance and won't reboot (B2 POST code - and now, after 8h off, BA). Can you get to the BMC to see the POST Snooping page? Does it power itself off after the beeping? CPU known...
  10. DavidRa

Trusted Sources - Mellanox ConnectX-3

I'm only looking for 3-4 - replace the flaky one and add a pair to the lab NAS. It's not a production/commercial environment by any means, hence the choice of AUD50 second hand not AUD500 vendor new :). And while I don't mind if this turns into a "who has what interesting stuff" thread, @Patrick...
  11. DavidRa

Thanks - yeah that's a good point. I'm in Australia but I recognise most of this stuff is in the US and Europe.
  12. DavidRa

I'm looking for a source for Mellanox 3 (pref. the MCX311A) cards - every source I find on Ebay seems to have the same set of images and text for the MCX311A cards; I've had two failures (one never detected, the other connects but doesn't pass traffic) so I'm left wondering if the cards are...
  13. DavidRa

2nd Domain Controller, or vMotion / HA

From a "doing it the right way" perspective, you should have 2 DCs with appropriate rules (DRS for VMware I think) that schedule them on separate hosts.
  14. DavidRa

SuperMicro reckon it's a bad socket. I need to get off my ass, find a CPU socket cover and complete the RMA.
  15. DavidRa

Honestly for $100 or so, this is worth a bid anyway https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174153454315 It's not the RAM. Plugged in some loaner RDIMMs from a working Precision T5810 (it's the same platform and CPU) and same error code. Will switch CPUs next... Edit: OK and it's not the CPU either...
  16. DavidRa

DDR4 ECC, but unbuffered, not registered. It's the first thing I'll swap out with stuff from the Precision because it's easy and I'm lazy (swapping the CPU is annoying and slow), and I'm _technically_ unsupported (which could mean "if it works fine, but if it screws up you're on your own" or...
  17. DavidRa

No it's been built for at least 2 years if not longer. The board is E-Bay new (this stuff is not really available new, or at reasonable prices in AU). I may grab a spare Precision with the same CPU from a mate and see if I can component-swap to identify. Thanks anyway though it's very much...
  18. DavidRa

No, as far as I know it's a legitimate production E5, not an ES. There's no graphics on board - I'm not sure I'd expect it to post without, but it's easy enough to try. I'm in AU on the Central Coast of NSW, so far away from everyone :D Edit: Nope. Same code without GPU, without a keyboard...
  19. DavidRa

Trying to track down why my replacement board, an X10SRA, won't complete POST with a CPU and RAM that used to be fine. The previous board was an Asrock X99WS which underwent some form of rapid decompressive failure - something went bang and I can't see which component failed, though I expect...
  20. DavidRa

Hyper-V Server Build Questions

I agree that 128GB is ridiculous, but that's why I said 24 will suffice. Note that Exchange 2013 and 2016 generally want 8GB just to start services, and 10GB is a more reasonable minimum even for 5-ish users. 4GB for an Edge isn't viable for more than a lab. Also, 2019 has a different...