Search results

1. mephisto

I've created a small tutorial showing how to deploy teams with telephony (phone numbers)

Not yet but I'm planning to do Thanks for the feedback
  2. mephisto

I've created a small tutorial showing how to deploy teams with telephony (phone numbers)

Hello, I've noticed there was no tutorial showing how to deploy Teams / Phone System from scratch so I've created one. A test environment can be easily created with an Office 365 trial and even phone numbers assigned to the system with a calling plan with no costs under the trial period. I...
  3. mephisto

16x and 24 port 10GB switch options for datacentre, or perhaps infiniband

I'm still evaluating options. I was hoping more people could shed some light here on what would be best to use :(
  4. mephisto

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

I heard ceph for VM storage in VMware is a no go, that was one of the reasons I stopped reading about it. What do you think?
  5. mephisto

16x and 24 port 10GB switch options for datacentre, or perhaps infiniband

Hi guys, I'm planning to refresh some servers I have at a datacentre and I'm planning to get everything on 10GB network. The idea is to use a couple of ZFS boxes replicating data to each other and between 4 to 6 hosts with VMware ESXi running the VMs over NFS on the ZFS boxes. My idea is to...
  6. mephisto

Refreshing servers, consolidating with new high end boxes, less power consumption

I'll ask them for some quotes and check how do they do business and will report back here
  7. mephisto

Refreshing servers, consolidating with new high end boxes, less power consumption

I think I'm going with Broadberry so far as I've spoke to them already and they seem to be okay. Boston doesn't inspire much confidence with their crap website. Have you got any experience with either?
  8. mephisto

pfsense setup

I've got a datacentre infra structure with 60 VMs, a 300/300Mbit connection and openvpn tunnels to 10 branches. 1 core (xeon 5600 series) and 1GB ram does the job without any problem for my pfsense VM
  9. mephisto

pfsense setup

surely it does, especially for vpns as it needs to handle encryption
  10. mephisto

It seems SDS, NVMe and infiniband with RDMA are the best options What do you guys think about these 2 articles? NVMe Native vs NVMe Over Fabrics iSCSI vs iSER vs SRP on Ethernet & InfiniBand Not sure how accurate it is, but on paper sounds interesting
  11. mephisto

How do you guys move large amounts of data?

I had some large file transfer to do with severla million files, and ended up purchasing a software called syncback pro SyncBackPro backup software - the powerful solution worth every penny, I use everywhere I need to transfer large volume of files, locally or over openvpn tunnels
  12. mephisto

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

Just an update on this topic as it had lots of input and ideas. I'm running ZoL (ubuntu) on 2 boxes Dell R510 with a H200 flashed to IT mode, 12x 600GB 15K and 1TB Samsung 850 PRO for L2ARC and chinese intel X540-T1 for the 10gb network. So far working very well. I'm running about 10 RDS...
  13. mephisto

Intel X540-T2 Fake/Chinese/Counterfeit

I got about 6 X540-T1 from ebay about 3 months ago, I didn;t know they were fake but considering I've paid about £100 each they must be. Anyway, they are working 24/7 on several servers for nearly 3-4 months now, no problems, but I'm now concerned about this knowing these cards are fairly...
  14. mephisto

IP Camera Recommendations

what about ubiquiti option? Ubiquiti Networks - UniFi® Video Camera
  15. mephisto

pfsense setup

AP lite doesn't use standard POE, you need an voltage converter to use on conventional POE switches. the AP PRO supports normal POE, I think is a bit odd from ubiquity, but everything else with the unifi APs is perfect
  16. mephisto

by the way I can't seem to find any official Intel documentation about the endurance of the P3520, some places are saying 0.3 some others 1, is there any official place you found this information?
  17. mephisto

Very good article Patrick, very well written! Indeed, SATA seems to be on the way out. So, is the only way to have RAID on a system with NVMe drives would be with SDS like vSAN, ZFS, EMC scaleIO? I wonder if there will be any equivalent to a hardware RAID controller for PCI-E in the future. I...
  18. mephisto

by the way, I'm checking specs and endurance, the P3520 with 3 DWPD seems a very good candidate. the P3600 has also a 3 DWPD and costs nearly twice. I think the P3520 is a very good option for my workload. I'm going to check Samsung prices now on the SATA models to compare and NVMe if they have...
  19. mephisto

I believe you have not see the latest models? Prices here in the UK: SATA S3520 1 DWPD 480GB £214 - 800GB £385 - 1.2TB £500 1.6TB £675 NVMe P3520 3 DWPD 450GB £253 1.2TB £530 2TB £850 Considering the performance difference, I think it is a no brainer to go for NVMe if we don't consider you...
  20. mephisto

What I like most about supermicro is that is the customisation, it feels like you are building your on PC, you know every single component, unlike Dell rebranding LSI controller with their firmware, and then always giving warning if a disk has no Dell firmware. I'm considering supermicro more...