Search results

1. Larson

Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

Hello everyone, Have anybody dug into Windows Server 2019 yet? Is it ready to take the place of 2016 in a production environment? Has it fixed anything in 2016? Just looking for thoughts. Thanks, James
  2. Larson

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) Slow to Initialize

Hello all, I have a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials lost network connection in the middle of the night, but got it back after a reboot. However, Intel RST icon in the task tray shows "Initializing" and it's doing it very slowly - only 8% after 1hr. Can...
  3. Larson

Question on Installing Win Server 2016 on RAID 1 Volume

Can anybody please help with this? I had a clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard installed on a RAID1 volume (2x 480GB SSDs); the install went without a hitch, including no need to load drivers or anything else. I decided I wanted to upgrade to Windows Server 2016 Standard, so from...
  4. Larson

4TB Windows Server Boot Drive MBR vs GPT

Hi all, Can someone help me on this? I currently have a lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a 2x1TB HDDs RAID1 volume. The RAID1 volume is MBR and is partitioned into two partitions (1 for OS, 1 for data), but I want to replace the entire volume with larger...
  5. Larson

Searching File Content in Windows Server Folders

Does anybody know why I am unable to search the contents of files (like Excel files) from a workstation computer on a Windows Server folder? Server: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Windows Search Service (feature) is installed and running. Folders are shared and have appropriate permissions...
  6. Larson

"Error 0xC0000001, Your PC needs to be repaired." after Server 2012 R2 Essentials Client Restore

Has anybody else experienced this? I have a client with Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and a Dell Inspiron 660 Desktop running Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit (not on the domain, of course). The server has been successfully making backups of the client computer and is running Client Restore...
  7. Larson

Seagate Expansion 4TB $100

Newegg.com has Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB4000100 Black for $100 with promotion code: ESCEMFM34.
  8. Larson

Seagate Expansion 8TB $200

NeweggBusiness.com has Seagate Expansion 8TB USB 3.0 3.5" Desktop External Hard Drive STEB8000100 Black for $200 with Promo Code: BEMCEMFL24.
  9. Larson

Java Error 1603

Admittedly, this may be not the best place to ask this question, but if anybody can help, I would really appreciate it. I've got several computers, both Windows 7 and 8.1 that cannot take a Java update; all have different versions of Java, but none of them can update, yielding "Error 1603."...
  10. Larson

Seagate 4TB Backup for $114.99 on NewEggBusiness.com

Seagate 4TB Backup Plus Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Model STDR4000100 Black and 200GB OneDrive storage space on NewEggBusiness.com for $114.99 and free shipping using Promo Code BEMCEMFE23.
  11. Larson

WTB: 32GB ECC DDR4 2133MHz RDIMM Memory

Need 32GB ECC DDR4 2133MHz RDIMMs for Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F. Hynix MEM-DR432L-HL01-ER21 preferred.
  12. Larson

WTB: Fractal Design Define R5 case

Fractal Design Define R5 case for my new home/office server, preferably the default black, no window.
  13. Larson

WTB: Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F motherboard

Upgrading my home/office server to a Supermicro X10SDV-7TP4F motherboard.
  14. Larson

Upgrading Windows Home Server

Would someone share their thoughts/opinions on upgrading my Windows Home Server v1 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials? Priorities: 1- I still love the client computer backups in Windows Homes Server, which is one of the reasons I'm sticking with Windows for a Home Server. 2- Centralized...
  15. Larson

Replacing HDDs in Windows Home Server v1

Can someone help me remember best practice for this? I've got a WHSv1 with five HDDs: 1-640GB HDD (primary, OS), 3-320GB HDDs, and 1-160GB HDD. The server has been used primarily for PC backups, so I'm not worried about Shared folders or third-party plugins. What is important is my backups...