Search results

1. E

Have I Lost My Mind? - New to me house needs network drops. Server rack in the garage...

It's bad enough in our current apartment... So much dead skin getting sucked into my servers. I wipe the front of them off about once a week.
  2. E

Have I Lost My Mind? - New to me house needs network drops. Server rack in the garage...

I plan on getting a small, but somewhat industrial, dehumidifier for when it becomes a concern. I also thought about insulating the garage door to help somewhat as well. I didn't plan on closing off the rack completely, but have planned on lining the door with filters for dust only.
  3. E

Haha, I'm talking about the decom. I know that'll get removed as well as some HP servers and blade chassis. There's a VMax up there too, but no way in hell is work going to let that one go.
  4. E

The things people throw away or leave behind at the datacenter... Also, I got to take home 5x HP DL380 Gen9's, 1x Gen8, 2x D2600 and 5x D3600 disk enclosures (all 7 have 6TB 7.2k SAS drives) a couple weeks ago... I have 900TB of storage in my office at the moment (what's in my rack and the HP...
  5. E

Pretty much all of the data/bandwidth hogs are in the rack. Even though I do a lot on my workstation, it's a small Dell 7060 micro desktop which won't ever do 10GbE, but that's ok because I'm RDP'ing to the servers that need that 10GbE pipe. I just want the 10GbE pipe from the switch in the...
  6. E

Thanks! And I agree. The plan is to run at least 2 cables per drop, so there will be 2 usable ports at each. I'd like to run 3 or 4, but that'll be overkill and I'm already going way over budget. Regarding fiber between, I was considering it, but Cat6 is rated for 10GbE below runs of 180 feet...
  7. E

Thanks for the input! I was thinking about also using the smallest bedroom for the rack, but would only want it for the rack, and not put my desk in there. I've had the rack by my desk for years now, and it's time for some rest for my ears. I'm planning on 2 ports per drop, and will buy 2 boxes...
  8. E

In a couple weeks, my wife and I close on a house in Middle Tennessee. The house is 4-5 bedroom and 2,540 sq ft, has a 2-car garage, has attic space, and is built on a slab. The house currently has NO networking ran into it at the moment, and I intend to change that in a couple days following...
  9. E

FS: HP DL380 Gen9s & Gen8 Servers, D2600 & D3600 Storage Enclosures With Drives

Imgur Not pictured are the front bezels or the rails. I have the bezels, but need to get the remaining rails from the office this week.
  10. E

FS: HP DL380 Gen9s & Gen8 Servers, D2600 & D3600 Storage Enclosures With Drives

Cross-posting this from r/homelabsales. The items below are for sale. I reviewed ebay pricing and believe the prices listed are fair, but I'm not trying to gouge anyone, so if something is unreasonably priced, please tell me and let me know why. Price includes shipping (via FedEx) to the...
  11. E

Free BackBlaze Storage Pods?!

I'm sorry... You are using HP PSUs in this thing? I'm going to need a write up on that. It's incredibly enticing.
  12. E

Man, I'm glad yours arrived unscathed! And thanks for trying the PSUs already for me, hehe... I'll just deal with these inefficient Zippy's for awhile.
  13. E

I bought 2 of these on ebay a month ago and am really happy with them as replacements for my SC846's. I'm going to continue to run the 3x Zippy PSUs for now, but I'm curious about replacing them with something else... I wonder if the PSUs and PSU backplanes from the Supermicros could fit in the...
  14. E

[FS] 3x Dell/Samsung 1.92TB 12Gbps Enterprise SSDs

Thanks for breaking that down. That makes a lot more sense given that info.
  15. E

Maximize Data Transfers Between Two NAS' (with 10GbE)

Right now, I'm transfering thousands of files, and the file sizes are variable, averaging between 10GB and 25GB, still maxing out around 480MBps. No SMB tuning has taken place. Top during large file transfer: attached Output of iostat during large file transfer:
  16. E

Maximize Data Transfers Between Two NAS' (with 10GbE)

I have two NAS builds with an H310 HBA (IT mode), ASRock E3C224 mobo, i3-1241v3 CPU, 32GB RAM, Chenbro NR40700 chassis, Mellanox Connectx-3 CX312A 10GbE NICs, and 24x HGST NAS 4TB drives (software RAID6). I just migrated from a Supermicro SC846 chassis with the SAS2 backplane which exhibited the...
  17. E

That does make a lot of sense. I may have better luck on ebay right now.
  18. E

In looking at the going rate for the Dells on ebay, and I'm still seeing my asking price is below the used price there for these.
  19. E

If I remember right, HP drives won't let you use the drives in anything other than HP (I could be mistaken). Although I could be mistaken. I remember specifically searching for Dell on ebay and thought the $500 was fair from what I had found. I know the other Dell HGST SSDs I have are being sold...