Search results

1. T_Minus

HGST Wararnty Issue - Question

The other RMA drive arrives today, we'll see if I have better luck this time ;) I purposely ordered 9 new drives and out of those 9 I had 2 DOA I had to send to RMA for replacement. At-least if 8 work now I can build my array ;) and have the spare replaced. I hate dealing with HDD. Worst...
  2. T_Minus

HGST Wararnty Issue - Question

I sent in a (NEW) HE10 drive for RMA and they sent me a drive back with 66,792 POH Why would they think this is acceptable? Did they mistakenly send me a used drive someone else sent in for RMA?
  3. T_Minus

First real network setup. Looking for confirmation that I'm doing it correctly.

I don't do anything special with pfsense but I've never had any issue with my mini setup. This device has served me well for many years now: Protectli: Trusted Firewall Appliances with Firmware Protection " 4 Intel® Gigabit Ethernet NIC ports " Comparing WRT to Atom? Yeah, it wouldn't be 60%...
  4. T_Minus

First real network setup. Looking for confirmation that I'm doing it correctly.

A Dell R510 w\x5660 is a lot of power for a router\pfsense, any reason you went for that vs a tiny appliance that's 4"x4"x2" and uses 10x less power?
  5. T_Minus

Overheating problems with 2x Epyc 7742 in Define 7 XL 1TB/2TB RAM

Rosewill Rackmount .. no.. no. That's not a real server chassis it's a home-version of a real server chassis. Do I have experience with them, yes I have 3 various model Rosewill 4U and I don't use them beyond basic storage because they're basically a home variant of a real server chassis ;) that...
  6. T_Minus

Overheating problems with 2x Epyc 7742 in Define 7 XL 1TB/2TB RAM

Did you try without the fans on the motherboard? Without the fan on top of the CPU HSF? You want air in and air out you don't want it swirling around like that. Personally, I don't think you're going to get it cool enough with 3x120 desktop\style fans. Even the most basic (enterprise\real)...
  7. T_Minus

At a crossroads...

What case did you get? What fans does it have now? How many drives do you have now? WIthout any other info I'm just guessing but I assume the fans are to move air for your HDD only as those generation CPUs aren't in need of lots of air flow outside the near silent HSF.
  8. T_Minus

At a crossroads...

That was just an example of cheap V3s. Here's one with quicksync for $72, also a lower power CPU too. But still more power than the synology systems, unless you're getting an expensive one :D...
  9. T_Minus

At a crossroads...

You can get E3-1270 V3 for <$100 now and motherboards <$100 too. You won't find a synology near this performance for the cost to upgrade. For your media\storage it may be fine, but for docker and other 'stuff' it will be very very slow compared to E3 V3. I've had a couple Synology and went to...
  10. T_Minus

Recycling the heat from server room

When I was building the second 'server room' in my home office I had it designed with 22U racks with air in front hot air into back, with a vent to my office that could be opened\closed, and then the other vent outdoors. Window\Wall AC to create cool air, and hot air in summer went outside, in...
  11. T_Minus

NVME vs SAS - real world 'homelab' findings

I think it's a worthy discussion in all regards :) " NVMEs outright bandwidth superiority. " Yes, but technically the NVME should be superior with low latency \ low QD IOPs too since you're not seeing this really I think the RAID controller is coming into play and I'm curious to see your...
  12. T_Minus

Yes, a decent % of the CPU will be used when taxing NVME. I don't remember seeing heavy utilization when testing only 1GB though that seems a bit strange, usually it's sustained random read\write iirc I wouldn't use CDM to benchmark multiple NVME or SSD though. Additionally there's really...
  13. T_Minus

Please quantify your environment more beyond RAID Controller. I've never seen a SAS or SATA SSD perform just as good or better than NVME in a local shared environment but I also don't run hardware RAID. The cache will run out at some point. It sounds like it may be worth a test to see, I do...
  14. T_Minus

76% higher bandwidth & 68% lower latency compared to Optane?!

We were promised Gen2 optane this year, but I haven 't seen anything recently, if I recall it was lower latency and 2x bandwidth like this headline but some of this has to do with PCIE itself I thought. DIY NVME I think may be above my level though :oops: :oops: :oops:
  15. T_Minus

EVGA midweekmadness 1080ti's $350 & 2080ti's $550 x99 motherboard $99

Said everyone when the 20xx was rolling out about the 10xx lol, look where that went :( The improvement over the 2080 TI may not warant the >$ for 3080 which means the used 2080 TI may go fast too. hard to predict right now
  16. T_Minus

DDR3 DDR4 RAM price trends thread.

100s of 32s and 16s (Samsung this model I believe too, 75% or more) and never ran into that issue, but interesting how it affects Asus boards specifically. Anyone know why that may be? Why is ASUS so picky?
  17. T_Minus

How to use these drives?

They look like drives used internally in a laptop would that sound right based on what you were told when you got them? I'd guess a normal connection would work.
  18. T_Minus

Intel Optane P4800x vs P900

I think we're getting off track of the original thread purpose, but on the flip-side... we have 1- You're assuming people are only optimizing for network performance not local. 2- You're assuming people care to use\split the rest of the SLOG drive. I know I don't, the capacity is what the drive...
  19. T_Minus

TrueNAS Beta 2 is working great!

What did you tune in ESXI For Power management ? Any idea why it is stable now? ANy other changes?
  20. T_Minus

Intel Optane P4800x vs P900

Sorry, that wasn't clear. A pool of mirrors. I have 4x of the Samsung, I'm not sure what they are off top of my head but the IOPs per-drive was high almost a million, but at very high QD too. A fast drive though. I don't have any benchmarks anymore, ran through and have done misc real-world...