Search results

1. B

more reliable main OS HDD's? (not SSD's)

Drive reliability is a total crapshoot when you have a single drive. I don't think you're going to get the answer you want as failure rates only become statistically significant when you have a large number of drives.
  2. B

Supermicro X10SLL-F issue - BMC not responding

If you got it used, it could have a static IP assigned to it. You can either poke around with Wireshark or wait on the rest of your components.
  3. B

Choosing RAM for an Airtop3: would faster modules with higher voltage work?

You need the most plain looking RAM you can find. No heatsinks.
  4. B

Found - WTB SATA M.2 drive 2280

Not as cheap per GB, but you can get 256GB Samsung ones for $30 shipped on eBay: Samsung PM871a MZ-NLN256A 256 GB M.2 80mm SSD 735899021101 | eBay
  5. B

That's an expected response from an OEM since they want you to buy RAM from them at a markup. Higher speed RAM is fine, though you a free to buy 2666mhz memory (probably a bit cheaper actually) off Amazon/Newegg/etc. The CPU is what sets the compatibility, not the OEM. As for the warranty...
  6. B

What CPU will you be using? Need a Xeon for ECC. 32GB ECC UDIMMs are indeed close to double the price. Likely not critically important for a workstation.
  7. B

Am I doing this right?

Sounds like you're going to be blocking all airflow for the rackmount setup. You need unimpeded access to the front and rear or else you can expect everything to overheat.
  8. B

Why not just get 2666mhz RAM? Faster RAM does work (with no benefit if you're not overclocking and I doubt you would be), but 1.35V is likely to cause issues (aimed at overclocking again). You also have the issue of that RAM being taller than normal and potentially not fitting. 4 of these would...
  9. B

Am I doing this right?

In my personal opinion, the HPE MicroServer looks considerably better than a generic rackmount case. You really don't want a rackmount case if you don't have a rack... As for data security, you're talking about things on a software level. That's really disconnected from hardware. STH's review...
  10. B

Am I doing this right?

Why don't you just get something like the HPE MicroServer Gen10 Plus? I can't think of any advantage you'd have in building a server yourself given the type of hardware you've listed.
  11. B

Which Supermicro 24 drive backplane

It offers literally no advantage, only disadvantages. The SAS3 backplane already has a SAS expander built in, so, you would hook your HBA directly to it. You just get a rats nest of wiring in the end and no enclosure management features with the TQ one.
  12. B

None. Only the original SAS1 version had issues. I've been running 4 systems with the SAS2 backplane for the better part of a decade. TQ would be the least desirable model after the SAS1 version. There no reason to get it when the A version exists and even then, for hard drives, you should just...
  13. B

SAS2-846EL1 is the backplane you want. You won't need to worry about separate expanders and cabling will be much easier. You could get the SAS3 version, but you will see minimal benefit in terms of performance and it will just pay considerably more for it.
  14. B

SuperMicro wants $485 to repair a MBD-X10SDV-4C+- TLN4F-O (D-1518) but a new board costs $500

Yes. The Xeon-D SoC has no separate chipset like the socketed platforms.
  15. B

SuperMicro wants $485 to repair a MBD-X10SDV-4C+- TLN4F-O (D-1518) but a new board costs $500

Sounds like they're replacing the processor, so that's a fair amount of work (not to mention a ~$240 part). I'm not too surprised by the figure.
  16. B

10g Home NAS Setup

You shouldn't be putting two subnets on a NIC used for a point-to-point connection. I think you may have a misunderstanding about how TCP/IP works as there is really only one correct way of setting up a point-to-point connection (or any isolated network with no routing) and there are zero...
  17. B

HGST 8TB SAS HUH728080AL5200

If leakage is a problem, you should know well in advance as helium level is one of the SMART attributes.
  18. B

10g Home NAS Setup

Why do you need this data on a NAS anyway? You will get considerably better performance if you're working with local disks. You can back it up to the NAS as required.
  19. B

10g Home NAS Setup

Did you try running everything on the same network/subnet? If so, no wonder you had issues. The point-to-point connection needs to be on it's own subnet. No firewall rules are required. It's very straightforward and takes no effort to configure.
  20. B

cpu nvme raid with epyc rome?

Don't think there is. Best thing you could do would be to pass through all the NVMe drives to a guest, but you wouldn't be able to set up all of them to be a RAID datastore.