Search results

1. jcl333

long boot delay with LSI passed through in ESXi

I have a Supermicro server based on a Xeon E5-2698v3, so it's an older 2011-3 from 2014. MB is an X10SEH-CF, onboard HBA (where I put boot and datastores), 128GB RAM, etc. I am using an LSI/Broadcom MR 9361-8i. The system runs great running directly on ESXi using datastores on the RAID...
  2. jcl333

20TB - WD Red Pro, Gold, or Ultrastar?

Oof, they just dropped the Red Pro 20TB to $329 for black Friday.... That's a pretty good deal.
  3. jcl333

Yes, I saw that, I think that is a good reason.
  4. jcl333

Here are three listings on Amazon: Western Digital 20TB WD Red Pro NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD - WD201KFGX $419 Western Digital 20TB WD Gold Enterprise Class SATA - WD201KRYZ $525 WD Ultrastar DC HC560 WUH722020ALE6L4 20 TB Hard Drive $377 As far as I can see, all three are the same drive just...
  5. jcl333

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

Yes, I think so, I think the price is reasonable for what it does. I looked at Sophos UTM, Firewalla, ZenArmor, and a couple others. They all have their pros and cons, but I was able to install Untangle in bridge mode and leave my pfsense box untouched, and set it up to be able to handle my...
  6. jcl333

Parents of STH - what is/are your solution(s) for Internet management with kids?

Hello, I thought I would follow up on this. I gave Untangle another try, and it has gotten allot better since I tried it a few years ago. It allows me to just monitor, or block, etc. So, I am going to give this a spin for awhile. -JCL
  7. jcl333

I hope the world doesn't come to the point where that kind of effort is necessary.
  8. jcl333

So you found that solution much easier to use, and it did not get in your way? That is the rub, when I tried Untangle, after a couple of weeks fiddling with it I gave up.
  9. jcl333

Maybe a better way to look at it is the software can augment the parenting, make it easier. Kind of like how a better camera won't necessarily make a better photographer....
  10. jcl333

Huh, I was told that there was not an easy way to block the ads in YouTube, I already use uBlock Origin, but didn't know it could do that, have to look into it, thanks for that. The one I was looking at was Sophos Home Edition, and I actually gave Untangle a try awhile back, didn't have enough...
  11. jcl333

Agreed. Have not heard of ZenArmor, will check it out. You really like OPNSense that much more than pfSense? I know there is a whole bunch of history, but I have been using pfSense for longer than I can remember. Well done on the blocking. A few years back I lived in a 7-unit condo, and I...
  12. jcl333

I have another friend who is really into this sort thing, likes to talk about phones running on open hardware and all that. I guess my most honest answer to this is that just like at work, I have to choose my battles. It would take me a long time to get up to speed on what you are talking...
  13. jcl333

My only fear with this type of thing is reliability. If it keeps breaking down such that I have to bypass it so my kid can legitimately use it, it won't last long. And time is for sure a factor. I think you are a fair bit above me in this area too. heh, I have a friend just like you. He...
  14. jcl333

Yup, this same thought was on my mind for sure. And I can already point to their friends who are clearly not receiving enough parenting :rolleyes: But, as others have mentioned, this is hard even for us techie people, so I try not to judge too harshly.
  15. jcl333

Huh, I actually don't know the answer, I will take a look at that. And thank you for the suggestion on NextDNS, I will check that out as well. I was just really proud of myself for getting Docker up and running with PiHole, and controlling it from my smartphone. I like it because it is a very...
  16. jcl333

No worries, for all you know I am some whacko who beats his kids or completely ignores them and is just looking for a digital babysitter. And, if someone asked me this question, I think I might also jump to these same kinds of conclusions (at least be thinking it). So, this being a forum that...
  17. jcl333

You are not wrong, and I agree. I sort of think along the lines of, when they figure out how to get around things, they deserve to get to it.
  18. jcl333

I pretty much couldn't agree more with all of this. Great feedback and perspective. I do love your last paragraph, yup, the more you overtake the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain. This is why I tend to be slow to adopt new stuff unit I really find the "go to" solution, which is...
  19. jcl333

I think this is indeed a good question. I often find it hard to match the punishment to the crime, and it needs to be immediate to really have any effect.